• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Our Anime License Holy Grail

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsilver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:34 am Reply with quote
Akazukin Chacha, for sure.
It's one of the funniest anime I've seen, and I love the characters.

While they're at it, I'd really like a Blu-ray re-release of Hare+Guu that includes Deluxe & Final
...And maybe Popolocrois and Mahoujin Guru Guru, too.

But, hey, at least we're getting a manga license holy grail release right now with Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. I discovered the series back during its run and it instantly became a favorite. It was a long, long wait, but we're finally getting it in print, in English.
YourNameIsMitsuha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:40 am Reply with quote
Why isn't Uma Musume Pretty Derby licensed?! Whoever is being stingy with the rights needs to let me purchase this on disk! Also, I couldn't find Monster anywhere. Discotek help maybe? They do old stuff, right?
db999

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:47 am Reply with quote
I would love to see a release for Infinite Ryvius which was a really good mecha show from 2000. It was very interesting and was kind of a Lord of the Flies in Space kind of deal, and there was also an external threat of them getting attacked by their own government.

I’d also love to see a re-release of the original Hunter x Hunter anime from 1999 because the old Viz dvd’s for it are out of print and very expensive. We also never got the OVAs for the end of the YorkNew City Arc and the entirety of Greed Island. I know we have the excellent 2011 series, but I think the 1999 version is better, specifically for the York New City and Hunter Exam arcs

Also, A Place Further Than The Universe still has no English language DVD or Blu-Ray release, even though I'm pretty sure someone licensed it. One of the best shows in the last 5 years and I still can't own it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:52 am Reply with quote
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju.
matthewlow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:06 am Reply with quote
I have a bunch of them, but the easy #1 on my list is Detective Conan. I know it would be an intimidating to release it all on BluRay, but I’d be first in line to buy it all (and the spin-offs). It’s just sad that there’s still 630 episodes (plus movies, specials…) that aren’t currently available for streaming in the US. Still, glad that Crunchyroll got it for simulcast.

Cross Game is my easy second and remains one of my top 5 series to date. Love the Bakuman pick. I’m just glad that it’s available on Tubi to stream.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:26 am Reply with quote
db999 wrote:
Also, A Place Further Than The Universe still has no English language DVD or Blu-Ray release, even though I'm pretty sure someone licensed it. One of the best shows in the last 5 years and I still can't own it.

Angel M Cazares wrote:

Both of these are still available on Crunchyroll, though, and this activity seems to be for titles that aren't legally available at all.

For a long time, my go-to picks on this would have been Macross Frontier and Macross Zero, but there's hope for at least the former now. Hence, I'll go with the rest of the Strike the Blood OVAs. A total of 26 OVA episodes were released from 2015 through 2022 across five sets, but CR only has the first two sets/10 eps. Worse, the only English fansubs available for some of the other episodes are awful nearly to the point of being unwatchable.

Going more obscure, I'd put a vote in for Sisters of Wellbur and its sequel, a long-forgotten mid-2000s fantasy series about a princess on the run who teams up with a female thief. Also, Telepathy Girl Ran, a late 2000s series which stands on the outermost fringe of the magical girl genre. (The titular character has powers but doesn't transform, IIRC.) Both were solid series in their day that could still probably play pretty well today, and I'd love to replace the fansubs I still have for both.

EDIT: And yeah, I'll toss in another vote for Cross Game if Viz no longer has it available streaming. Still one of the best of all sports series, IMO.

Last edited by Key on Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:28 am Reply with quote
Biggest one for me is Mushishi. Such a huge shame to not have a series that beautiful available on Blu-ray. (Edit: I guess the article is more for streaming licenses. Mushishi at least is still available on Crunchyroll, thankfully.)

Also would love to have a Blu-ray for Anthem of the Heart, one of my favorite anime films. EU got one, but not NA.

A Blu-ray release for Angel's Egg would be the pie in the sky wish I suppose. Would be great to see.
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:38 am Reply with quote
Add my vote to the Maison Ikkoku pile as well! Luckily I still have the Viz DVD boxes, but these sure do eat up a lot of space on the shelf.

Add to that:

- Taiyou no Ko Esteban: Yes, I know the music in the localized version The Mysterious Cities Of Gold, is far better. Yes, I know the original Japanese dub is lost and they had to re-do the whole dub years later. I don't care, there are still enough nuance differences between the japanese and western versions to make a sub release interesting.

- Winds Of Change: Discotek has released a lot of Sanrio's back catalog, but not this amusing oddball take on Greek myths, with narration by Peter Ustinov no less.

- Run Melos: Talking about ancient Greece, this early '90s film also deserves more love.

- Lensman: Both the movie and the tv-series. So tied up in litigation with the original author's estate that it might up becoming partially lost media.

And then the big one:

- Candy Candy: Come on, Mizuki and Igarashi, you don't have to like eachother, but at least come to some understanding that would make a legit release of one of the medium-defining works of shojo anime possible.
db999

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:41 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
db999 wrote:

Angel M Cazares wrote:

Both of these are still available on Crunchyroll, though, and this activity seems to be for titles that aren't legally available at all.

I know but I just thought I mention it because it's a shame. Also, Bakuman was mentioned on the main list and that show is available on Hulu so if anyone wants to watch it it's on there, just with no dub.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:47 am Reply with quote
Wait, are we talking about unavailable on home video, or unavailable at all? Because a lot less stuff is coming out on physical media nowadays. It’s kind of crazy that a solid recent hit like 86 still doesn’t have a Blu-ray, for example.

For my holy grail, I will say Valkyria Chronicles, the Sega video game that got a 26-episode anime adaptation from Aniplex and A-1 Pictures in 2009. It streamed briefly on Crackle of all places, but has never been picked up again after it expired there. In other words, it barely made it out of Aniplex jail before it got put back in, probably for good.
redvelvetdoll

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:49 am Reply with quote
My dream licenses are definitely Ashita No Nadja and Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne. But I'm continuously happy with every shoujo that Discotek picks up, especially Lady Georgie that I'm still waiting on a preorder link for.

I have my "these series are streaming but I want physical blu-rays" wishes of Idolish7 and Banana Fish. I don't trust Crunchyroll and Amazon as far as I can throw them to keep these series around forever, so I'd be very happy with even a barebones blu-ray release just so I can have them forever in the safety of my collection..
HAP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:54 am Reply with quote
I'd love to see Detective Academy Q and We Never Learn and Witch Craft Works licensed.

Also a proper anamorphic 16:9 Blu-ray release of VanDread would be super-awesome!

I hope Sony/Crunchyroll, Aniplex, Discotek see this. I'd even contribute to a Kickstarter for these if that would help.

Patiently waiting in the meantime...

EDIT
When I say "licensed" I do mean Blu-ray home video with English subtitles.

Last edited by HAP on Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:55 am Reply with quote
My general answer is everything in the World Masterpiece Theater, but if there's one anime I love that is in DIRE need of an uncut Blu-ray release, its the 1997 Dog of Flanders anime movie. It's one of my favorite anime movies of all time, and while it was released on home video by Geneon once upon a time, it never got the recognition it deserved and went out of print shortly afterward. Seriously, this tearjerker of a movie absolutely deserves a high-def re-release, sub and dub, and I've been pestering Discotek to license it ever since I first learned of their existence. I don't care how long it takes, I want this movie to come into my hands!!

That and stuff like Angel's Egg, Popolocrois 1998, Maple Town, Princess Arete, Nobody's Boy Remi, and Hamtaro. Since they've been dabbling in Western properties as well, I think it'd be cool if they licensed the 1957 Russian adaptation of The Snow Queen and gave it a shiny remaster...because as good as that movie's animation is, it's gotten no restoration and it always looks like it got ripped off a degrading VHS tape.
lemurs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:56 am Reply with quote
Cho_Desu wrote:
Also would love to have a Blu-ray for Anthem of the Heart, one of my favorite anime films. EU got one, but not NA.

The good news is that "Anthem of the Heart" was available in NA, but the bad news is that it's an Aniplex title and soon went out-of-print. However, it was listed as one of the titles Aniplex is bringing to UHD, but whether that release will have English subtitles remains to be seen.

Also, "A Place Further Than the Universe" was recently mentioned on Anime Limited's blog as a title they're still working on, so that one's only a matter of time.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Mikan-box Glasses-kun wrote:
Though my personal pick would be Masaaki Yuasa's Kemonozume, which I don't believe ever has had an international release. Would love to be able to get more people to watch it, it's definitely uneven but really fun and unique (and you can see a lot of Devilman Crybaby in it).

Oh my god someone else who's seen Kemonozume! Yeah this would probably be my first choice too. I think one of the things holding back an international release is that it was only available on DVD in Japan (long OOP) the last I looked (which was several years ago) and that hurts its chances getting picked up. Plus its age doesn't help I think its 17yrs old which in current anime time is like last century and it doesn't have the advantage of being some influential or cult hit. What is surprising is that with Yuasa's increasing visibility that it hasn't gotten an HD update. Several of his films (5 films) are getting a BD box release this December. I totally agree with what you said it is uneven but its quite fun and unique. A shame people don't have a legal option to see or own the show. Sad

Also wouldn't mind having Blood+ since it got a BD release in Japan not too long ago, but that's Aniplex and they enjoy not giving fans what they want.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9