• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Anime Awards Reveals 2024 Nominees

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I’m not a fan of the Crunchyroll Awards, but let’s be real, they are influential, which is why it would be nice if they could nominate stuff besides the super mainstream shows.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:05 pm Reply with quote
LMAO at Jigokuraku getting so many nominations it really doesn't deserve (best character design, best art direction) while Vinland Saga gets left out.
<('_')^

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:41 pm Reply with quote
No best villain category? Really?
sirdano1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I see it's time again for the biggest joke of the year.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:17 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:

Like the previous year, PLUTO won't be eligible until NEXT year's awards because it premiered after September 2023.

Ugh, that's so confusing. I saw Chainsaw Man on there and for a moment thought, "wasn't that nominated for last year's awards?" Then I realized what had actually happened was that everyone on social media had been going "Why isn't Chainsaw Man nominated?"

Crunchy really just needs to change the rules so the awards cover every show released in a calendar year. It's how literally every other entertainment awards show works.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I love that "Where Our Blue Is" made it over "SPECIALZ". While the latter was catchy, it often sounded way weird especially when Mappa decided to use it as an insert song when Yuji is throwing up.

If there's one series I want to win is Vinland Saga.
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:55 pm Reply with quote
No Dangers in My Heart for Best Romance (or anything) is straight up pissing me off
malvarez1 wrote:
I’m not a fan of the Crunchyroll Awards, but let’s be real, they are influential

They are? In what regard?
mayonakama

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Hell’s Paradise for any of the categories it was nominated for? Please, don’t make me laugh, I’m fighting a hideous bout of flu right now. It also looks like Demon Slayer has been yet again nominated for Best Fantasy. Ha, ha—HACK, wheeze.

What’s up with the Best Anime song category? Why not differentiate between insert songs and OPs/EDs? How redundant.

Also, crediting the studio name instead of the actual f***ing composer for Best Original Score is disrespectful and shows that Crunchyroll puts minimum thought into their categories and nominations.

Expanding the Best Anime Series category to include New and Continuing Series feels like a futile and disheartening effort to recognize other anime when you see that New is just…the same juggernaut series repeated in every other category. (I know it’s a popularity contest. It still feels stupid.)

Aside from the problems I have with the categories, I also have issues with the whole presenter thing. I pay very little attention to the actual presenting of the awards (I get to know who wins by reading posts on Twitter, not watching a stream/clips), but these presenters better award a. remotely, or b. at the Crunchyroll headquarters in Texas. It’d really irritate me to see that Crunchyroll/Sony would crap all over their service and actual product just because they want to feel like the next Academy Awards, complete with plastic statues and red carpet made with fabric from the dollar store.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:51 pm Reply with quote
At this point just call them the Shonen Jump Anime awards Rolling Eyes. This list feels like most of the jury truly only watched Demon Slayer and JJK and nothing else the whole year. There's a lot of shameful snubs (Golden Kamuy S4 and Undead Murder Farce for instance) but the one that elevates it to truly embarrassing is Demon Slayer's weakest season for Best Anime over Mob Psycho III. Hopefully the voters are sensible enough and Vinland Saga gets the recognition it deserves
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Mob Psycho was literally robbed. I apperciate the Bocci rep, but it reminds me why I never take these things all that serious.
meruru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:36 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
At this point just call them the Shonen Jump Anime awards Rolling Eyes.

Glad I'm not the only person feeling that way.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:40 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Romuska wrote:
WAAAAAAAAAAT? Pluto got snubbed for anime of the year? SMH

Like the previous year, PLUTO won't be eligible until NEXT year's awards because it premiered after September 2023.

Ah, okay. Thank you for the clarification.
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:41 am Reply with quote
Another year of underwhelming presenters and nominations.

I only know who three of the presenters are and I only care for LiSA out of those.

I can think of a dozen anime that had much better scores than the ones nominated.

It appears that the same six to eight anime rule 90% of the nomination categories. That’s a shame when there were what? Approximately 200 anime released during this time frame, not including ONAs (approximately 30), movies (approximately 40) and OVAs (approximately 7). That’s a damn shame.
NieR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:57 am Reply with quote
First time I'll ever be checking out the Crunchyroll Anime Awards show, mostly only to watch Iman Vellani talk about anime for a few minutes.

Would be cool to see Heavenly Delusion win some categories too.
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:04 am Reply with quote
Let's imagine there are no Oscars™/Academy Awards™, Emmys™, Golden Globes™, etc. just Netflix hosting their own awards for movies and TV series. Well, Crunchyroll's Anime Awards™ are quite the same.

As long as neither the home industry (Japan) and/or the overseas one (not just one platform) care to step up to host a better awards, this is the best we got.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3