• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Struggling For Illegitimacy

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Banna wrote:
This week's question: JOSEI!!!

I'm a fan of J-drama so I know that a lot of josei manga is on TV in this form like Kimi wa Petto. But I loved watching Nana and Kuragehime in anime form. And I preferred the anime version of Nodame Cantible over the drama. So I'd like to see more josei hitting the airwaves in animated form.

(and I wish more American companies would release more josei manga in the states, but that's not part of the question Very Happy )
This, exactly. I get so tired of seeing teenage characters in (seemingly) everything. If more josei were adapted into anime (like it finds its way to drama form) I probably wouldn't be as generally disinterested in the medium as I am lately. It's like there's nothing out there for adult women. Not that we can't like shonen/shojo/seinen etc. of course but I mean perspective-wise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
While copyright does extend to anime, It's not likely that the ISPs or government agencies are going to make any effort to stop it. Their concern is more with music and movies coming from the US, not foreign TV shows.

Furthermore, there really isn't any effective way to stop it. While it's possible to shut down a website, very little illegal material comes from direct download from websites. It's usually mixed in with other transport systems which themselves may be legal like torrents or streaming.

And there's no way an ISP can tell whether the transport system actually contains material that is legal or illegal unless they have a website to go to or a filename to go by. And even a filename isn't much help because it's possible for someone to name their home video something like Twilight without it having anything to do with the movie.

So it's a very complicated problem that isn't going to see much resolution anytime soon. And it will be hard enough to deal with violations of US copyright without worrying about foreign rights. It's only those anime companies that distribute in the US that are likely to take action, and Funimation has shown that they don't even have the strength to do that.

As far as effective legal action goes, the only thing I've heard of is a few minor torrent sites being shut down. But the big ones like The Pirate Bay aren't easy to get rid of with legal recourse. There has also been complaints against file hosting sites like Fileshare but no actual action has been taken to actually shut down these sites because the sites claim that the violation is by the uploaders.

The fact is that the US legal system (and elsewhere) just isn't designed to deal with the Internet. The riots in England show how poorly the legal system works in the face of social media.

So it's not about whether copyright law is being broken, it's about whether anything can be done about it.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
Banna wrote:
This week's question: JOSEI!!!

I'm a fan of J-drama so I know that a lot of josei manga is on TV in this form like Kimi wa Petto. But I loved watching Nana and Kuragehime in anime form. And I preferred the anime version of Nodame Cantible over the drama. So I'd like to see more josei hitting the airwaves in animated form.

(and I wish more American companies would release more josei manga in the states, but that's not part of the question Very Happy )
This, exactly. I get so tired of seeing teenage characters in (seemingly) everything. If more josei were adapted into anime (like it finds its way to drama form) I probably wouldn't be as generally disinterested in the medium as I am lately. It's like there's nothing out there for adult women. Not that we can't like shonen/shojo/seinen etc. of course but I mean perspective-wise.

I totally agree! I don't mind teenagers but some real adult characters would be nice .Especially when it makes sense. I'm reminded of the episode of Durarara where it was revealed the underworld doctor was not only just 24, but had his first operating experience at age 4! He should at least be in his 30's. Of course, I realize this show has some other hard-to-believe characters but still...

And there's also Noir where Mirielle, an assasssin, is only 18, and it's revealed spoiler[that a then 8 year old Kirika was the one who killed her parents when she was llttle.] So I'm glad that the live action version will make them older.

I would also like more anime with more mainstream (and maybe Western) appeal.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
The internet is full of monsters, and if companies don't at least put up the facade like they can fight back, they risk losing sales.

True, but like what happened with the One Piece incident, when the companies fight back too hard, the companies risk making themselves into the monsters and losing sales that way.

In my opinion, they should just take the sales they get and forget about the downloaders, because those downloaders most likely won't buy from them either way.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:42 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
This, exactly. I get so tired of seeing teenage characters in (seemingly) everything.

Agreed. This is another one for next week's column. Surely even school-age viewers get tired of all the teen characters that take the lead in every show.

I guess it's possible that the writers just don't know how to write characters who have concerns beyond first romance and fighting competitions....
Fabe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:20 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
poonk wrote:
This, exactly. I get so tired of seeing teenage characters in (seemingly) everything.

Agreed. This is another one for next week's column. Surely even school-age viewers get tired of all the teen characters that take the lead in every show.

I guess it's possible that the writers just don't know how to write characters who have concerns beyond first romance and fighting competitions....

Or maybe they're making the character that age so the target audience can relate to them better.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
poonk wrote:

The wide assortment of seinen and josei manga shows that there are writers who do know how to write those kind of characters ...

... but the market break-even for a manga, especially given the need to fill up the pages of the various serials of the various genres, is substantially lower than the market break-even for an anime series.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:07 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
... As far as effective legal action goes, the only thing I've heard of is a few minor torrent sites being shut down. ...

So it's not about whether copyright law is being broken, it's about whether anything can be done about it.
There is a segment of the range of bootleg distribution techniques where its easier to have an impact than the torrent downloading space, and that is the bootleg leech streaming sites.

The way the bootleg leech streaming sites work is to upload the video to one or more free video streaming sites, in violation of both the law and their T&S agreement when they sign up to upload to the sites.

Then they set up a site with series descriptions copied and pasted from Anime News Network and point their site to the free video stream.

Everything they do is labeled and cataloged, otherwise people cannot find their way around the site and the site does not attract hits, so does not get ad revenue ... and its possible to spider their site, pull out the location of the streaming files with the names of the series and episodes being streamed, and put together thousands of violation reports for a single C&D letter to the free streaming video host site. To keep their safe harbor status, the host site will take the videos down.

Now, it doesn't take the site down, but it does shoot holes all through their back catalog, and in their weekly distribution of new bootlegs competing against legit streams ~ so doing it at the same time as making legit streams available can help build the market for the legit streams.

Indeed, you don't necessarily want to take down the bootleg leech streaming sites, as long as you are regularly taking down their bootleg leech streams. So long as legit streams for the titles are available, some of the people who are looking for alternatives when their current series on their current site keeps going down will stumble upon the legit source.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I like this "more josei/more characters who aren't high school kids!" idea a lot. I would love to have more characters my age with problems that I can relate to (or even older characters, I'm loving the older characters in Tiger & Bunny and Bunny Drop right now), seeing the same kind of characters over and over gets boring.
Also, more high fantasy please! I loved Moribito and that reminded me that I don't see many shows that are strictly high fantasy without some sort of gimmick to them. More science-fiction shows would be nice too but I can think of even fewer sci-fi shows than fantasy so that's unlikely to happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2