• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TotalVid Offers Death Note by Subscription or Download

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
The downloads are just them offering a legitimate way to get the show while they work on that, and to experiment with ways to get future shows to fans faster

While I mostly agree with your greedy fansub bit. I have to disagree here. Death Note is the wrong show to experiment with. With it automatically going to be a big selling show, there is 1) no need to experiment and 2) delay it for any good reason. Also, if the experiment succeeds they might end up making a little bit more money than normal. If it fails, then you end up pissing off a large portion of the fanbase due to the shows popularity, and making substanually less money, for this show and shows in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordRobin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I use a Mac and therefore can't view these videos. I presume Viz doesn't mind if I get fansubs? No, of course they would. And it's no excuse for my breaking the law. But when you spit in the face of a sizable community of computer users, you'd better expect some of them to break the law anyway.

I swear, it blows my mind that there are still companies trying to deliver online entertainment with a Windows-only, IE-only, WMP-only solution. What year are they living in?

------RM
Flame-X

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I find this hillarious, Viz stopping all the fansubbers and death note's last ep aired today. LOL
I guess fansub watchers have 2 choices, watch the raw ep or wait like 2 years til the last DVD comes out.
craziplaya21

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Flame-X wrote:
I guess fansub watchers have 2 choices, watch the raw ep or wait like 2 years til the last DVD comes out.

oh how wrong you are... Smile
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

I have to disagree here. Death Note is the wrong show to experiment with. With it automatically going to be a big selling show, there is 1) no need to experiment and 2) delay it for any good reason. Also, if the experiment succeeds they might end up making a little bit more money than normal. If it fails, then you end up pissing off a large portion of the fanbase due to the shows popularity, and making substanually less money, for this show and shows in the future.

1- A Large Portion of the Fansub base won't be buying it anyways. They tend not to do that a lot of the time

2- I don't think doing this has delayed VIZ's release any- if you'll notice, it's subonly. They're still working on dub production, still working on TV deals, still working on the DVD release. I imagine they're general DVD release date was locked in place from the moment they started this, hidden away from fandom's eyes and working away at assorted things. We were going to get it on dvd whenever it comes out on DVD anyways. This is just them trying something to get it here a little quicker, and respond to fan concerns for quicker releases.

They already have a sub track done for the dvd, so this costs them nothing. Whoever wants the dvd's will buy the dvd's, and a TV airing will get the general public interested, and help fuel dvd sales anyways.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I just scanned the polls and I didn't see it, sorry if it is already there. But ANN should poll its members whether they use a PC or Mac. And throw in some other options if you want too, you crazy poll creators.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:36 pm Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:
I use a Mac and therefore can't view these videos. I presume Viz doesn't mind if I get fansubs? No, of course they would. And it's no excuse for my breaking the law. But when you spit in the face of a sizable community of computer users, you'd better expect some of them to break the law anyway.

I swear, it blows my mind that there are still companies trying to deliver online entertainment with a Windows-only, IE-only, WMP-only solution. What year are they living in?

------RM

It's probably got somethign to do with the Japanese licensing side- Japanese companies are very hesitating when it comes to selling downloads, since illegal downloads cost them a lot as it is to begin with.

And there's always dvd's.....If something's worth seeing, it's worth the wait [and with the manga release almost done, most fans'll know the ending anyways].
population_tire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I wish they work more on the DVDs and less with the sub...although i guess they'd have to sub it either way.
Sakurachan1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I think I share the feelings of frustration over this issue. I was excited about the prospect of being able to see A quality subs of a currently airing series back when Viz first announced this. At this point however, broadcasting or offering Death Note for "legal" direct to drive download is sort of a moot point.

Viz wasted valuable time on this, by doing what they always do, putting the horse ahead of the carriage. Now the series is about the wrap up in Japan - at least the first season, and most fans that would have been interested in the weekly option of this service have been keeping themselves up to speed the good old-fashioned way. The whole idea has lost its relevance now. I say focus the attention on getting the Death Note DVD's out here in the US ASAP, and see what other titles are coming down the pike that you can use to get the service going as a weekly thing. Viz could even pick up the current episodes of Bleach and or Naruto. Both shows have a built in and dedicated fanbase, and even Viz knows the fans of both shows are all caught up past their domestic releases. No one would begrudge them if they started with Bleach 140 or Naruto 2?? and offered weekly downloads. I am not saying Death Note shouldn't be offered for direct download though, just that no one at Viz should be treating this like some sort of boon for US Anime fans. It might have been three or four months ago when the series was still broadcasting episodes in the teens, but now Viz execs just look like bloody incompetent morons.
bakaShin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
why bother. viz took too long to get this out and due to the subject matter, content, niche audience, content rating, Death note is in no way a marketing giant like naruto and bleach are. the fanbase will definitely be more of an impact on sales than the casual user base.

its hypocritical of viz to target DN when naruto and bleach are much more a target of piracy yet they do little to nothing about it. the issue of fansubs and piracy are always in conflict but if the licensor plan to use threats rather than provide superior service in speed, dub, subs, etc then fansubs will always be a hindrance to them.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quote
Right now it's DRM. Next time there will be some other stupid crap people can point to as justification for not ever wanting to pay to watch anime.

It's $2 an episode and you people act like this is the worst thing ever. OH GOD WE ACTUALLY HAVE TO PAY TO WATCH ANIME ARGH LIFE IS SO UNFAIR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Right now it's DRM. Next time there will be some other stupid crap people can point to as justification for not ever wanting to pay to watch anime.

It's $2 an episode and you people act like this is the worst thing ever. OH GOD WE ACTUALLY HAVE TO PAY TO WATCH ANIME ARGH LIFE IS SO UNFAIR

Yeah, and I guess Linux and Mac users are thieves too. Viz offers no option for users of those operating systems. I mean, people who don't use Windows are obviously scum who don't want to pay for things. Why bother offering them Death Note subs for money?

Anyone who buys a DRM'd version of Death Note is just dumb and/or impatient. The DVD's will be out soon enough, and with the DVD's you'll be able to let your friends borrow it and play it on any kind of computer/player you'd like.

I personally hope to see someone like Bandai or Viz step up and release un-DRM'd for-pay downloads of their shows on a schedule that is right behind the show airing in Japan. With Death Note, it was getting to the point where you were having to wait 2 or 3 weeks after the Japanese airdate to get a quality fansub. I'd rather just pay a company $3 a week to get a quality sub quickly.

Or better yet, why not do Internet streaming broadcasts that are free? Am I the only person here who wouldn't mind having commercials you would be forced to watch in order to see the episode? People who watch anime on the Internet tend to be a niche market with easily targetable interests. Most of American television advertises stuff I don't care about. Maybe if they know I'm an anime fan who watches it over the Internet, they can actually advertise stuff at me that I'll want.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:46 am Reply with quote
Zac:

When you say 'you people' are you referring to everyone who wrote in this thread?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:25 am Reply with quote
craziplaya21 wrote:
Flame-X wrote:

oh how wrong you are... Smile
I'd say more of 4 choices:
1) Watch the raw
2) Watch the no-name, no-website, no-IRC-presence fansubs that will inevitably come out
3) ??????
4) Get the DVDs
nwoo_2002

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:42 am Reply with quote
In that procise order Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4