• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Garzey's Wing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:11 am Reply with quote
I gotta admit the duck put me on the floor laughing! As well as the spontaneous outburst of fanservice at that moment! Apparently NO one in anime can have a mystical/foreign technological experience fully clothed...

I'm sure cruising down the highway on a motorcycle and my necklace rattling would automatically make me think of the shrine by the road and NOT the condition of the road itself! Yup, TOTALLY plausible! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
While driving home on his motorcycle, Chris' necklace starts rattling on its own.

The fact that it occurs in this particular article just makes this dangling participle even funnier. Given all the other crazy things mentioned in this plot summary, I can almost imagine the guy's necklace driving home on his motorcycle. Laughing
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:10 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Awwww, can't we have some OOP stuff again, please?? I don't wanna read about some MST3K reject!!

I like the still-in-print stuff- I don't really wanna read about some obscure Japan-only release I'll never get to see.

I am definitely interested in getting this now, thanks to that lovely highlights reel. Very Happy I can keep it next to my copy of Princess Rouge (lousy anime, hi-lar-ious outtakes.)
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:07 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
It's stuff like that which makes me understand why some people hate dubs.

That was the worst dub I have every heard in my 8 years of anime.

Pointing to Garzey's Wing and saying "This is why some people hate dubs" is like pointing to Monster A-Go-Go or Plan 9 From Outer Space and saying "this is why some people hate movies".

I'm sure people have used those movies as a reason why they don't like movies...but, I get your point.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:20 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Awwww, can't we have some OOP stuff again, please?? I don't wanna read about some MST3K reject!!

I like the still-in-print stuff- I don't really wanna read about some obscure Japan-only release I'll never get to see.

I want a mix of both.

This is a great column, and you've sold me on buying a copy of this piece of garbage. The highlights reel was amazing, and I don't think I'll ever be able to see Tomino in the same way again.
Kryse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I bought Garzeys Wing back in the beginning of my anime days. It was attachted to the almost as awful Legend of Lemnear. Any plans on doing that one? It would be fuuuun. Anime smile
kittykatstargal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh man that was so bad yet hilarious I had to watch the clips in small doses at a time. Anime hyper

If I see this in stores, I'm definitely picking it up for an anime marathon for laughs.
Raja

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:05 pm Reply with quote
My god, I think I lost IQ points just watching that....

It's like taking Stinkoman from Homestarrunner.com and draining the funny away.

My brain hurts....time to crash.

*Please do so*

AAAAAAH!
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Justin, I don't know what you've brought to this land, but for some reason, I've now ordered a copy of this...thing for $2.83 off of eBay. I enjoy owning funny trash much more than most people, though, so here's hoping.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I know ANN now gets off on bashing Tomino, but I notice how this is a review of Garzey's Wing and not of Dunbine itself, which is a shining example of Tomino's excellence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Justin, this review of Garzey's Wing officially convinced me to join these boards so I can post my thoughts about it. Smile

1. I bought this DVD as part of CPM's fantasy collection 2 for 1 deal at a local Electronic Boutique 4 years ago. It was bundled with Legend of Lemnear, another awful story, good animation type of OVA released by Central Park Media. To tell you the truth, I had no intention of getting this DVD in the first place, just Lemnear, since I'm a big Satoshi Urushihara fan. However, I let the thing slide since it was a 2 for 1 deal, I was an anime collector and I only had to pay $14 for the whole thing. Very Happy

2. The DVD in japanese, was just boring, period. The English dub, on the other hand, gave me a serious WTF moment when I first watched it due to it being so rushed and exaggerated. After subsequent viewings, I just found the dub more and more funnier as it went along. Hell, I even dare say that english dub is probably this anime's only saving grace. The whole story of Garzey's Wing is awful and at the end, it just felt incomplete. All we got was one of spoiler[Fungun's generals defeated and Fungun himself was never overthrown]. If it wasn't for the legendary bad dub, I could've used the DVD as a coaster and the case to store another disc in it instead.

3. The DVD I bought was the first print edition with the ugly black background and the pasted on characters. This is what it looks like. It looks even worse close up. Sad At least CPM fixed that little problem in future re-releases with this image.

4. Notice the futile attempt by CPM to get people to buy this show because it was "from the creator of GUNDAM"? If there is anything I've learned when it comes to media and entertainment, it is that "from the creator/director/producer/etc. of <insert> means nothing. Just because one show one creator or director put out a blockbuster show does not mean everything else they put out will be a blockbuster as well. If you don't pay attention, you could waste serious money and time that you will never get back.

5. Justin, of all the clips in that highlight reel, I can't believe you didn't put in the raft scene. The raft scene is a real defining staplemark of this bad dub. Everyone is supposed to sound scared and concerned in that scene. What do we get in the dub instead? Everyone on that raft sounds like they're having an orgasm. Rolling Eyes

6. You also forgot to mention that in the menu screen, the very first thing you hear is Chris's yell. That's a real waker upper. Wink

7. Strange. When I click Peter Bavaro's name in the article, the link showing all of his works makes no mention of Garzey's Wing. Maybe the ANN staff can look into that?

EDIT: Looks like Bavaro didn't have anything to do with the dub. It was the work of Kip Kaplan.

8. I like the style of your review, Justin. Smile It sort of reminds me of Matt Caracappa's reviews on X-Entertainment. Clear review with lots of jokes, references, and insults thrown in for good measure. Smile

One more thing: I believe this particular OVA got riffed at Mystery Anime Theater at Otakon many years ago. Can anyone confirm this and if possible, provide a link to any transcripts? Thanks. Smile

EDIT: modified my post to fix URL links.

Last edited by KabaKabaFruit on Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:08 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I like the style of your review, Justin. Smile It sort of reminds me of Matt Caracappa's reviews on X-Entertainment. Clear review with lots of jokes, references, and insults thrown in for good measure. Smile

Wow. That is a huge compliment -- I've been reading X-Entertainment for years (as evidenced by the footnote on this article) and nobody does sarcastic reviews like he does. I was a bit nervous because I'd frankly never written a review this snide before.

PenguinTruth, ANN doesn't like to bash Tomino. If anybody does, it's me. Surprised I keep an open mind, but if someone does or makes stupid things, I'm going to call them on it. I spend enough of my time praising the good things that I certainly don't consider myself a hypocrite for it.
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I dunno about Otakon, but my friends and I used this for our Mystery Anime Theater showings at Starfest and Nan Desu Kan in Denver. It was recommended to us by a friend and probably ties "Robotech the Movie" as our all-time most painful project, though "Techno Police" may make it a three-way tie.

From video: "Has anyone seen (long pause) the river?"
Us: "YOU'RE SOAKING IN IT!!"

I watched it in Japanese and it's about B grade anime. But it's the dub job that makes it truly incomprehensible and painful.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:35 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Wow. That is a huge compliment -- I've been reading X-Entertainment for years (as evidenced by the footnote on this article) and nobody does sarcastic reviews like he does. I was a bit nervous because I'd frankly never written a review this snide before.

I know it's hard (if not impossible) to top Matt but I still think you did quite a good job on your first article. Besides, you just summed up everything about the dub in these three sentences:
Quote:
It's easy to blame Bavaro for the show being so incomprehensible, but really, nobody could ever make anything good out of the dialogue in Garzey's Wing. Characters step on each others' lines, repeat themselves like parrots ("Is that the Holy Warrior?") and say things that, in context, make absolutely no sense. It's like some Dadaist poetry, where each line is a complete nonsequitor.

That alone clinches it.

By the way, for those of you who have a DVD-ROM drive on your computers (and I don't see why any of you today do not), CPM has provided the complete script as one of the extra features. Here's a question to all of you: Did CPM really give us the script as a means to use it as an extra feature for us to check out or is Kaplan's directing so bad that by giving us this script, we're all subliminally encouraged to do a fandub that's much better than the offical one?

The sad thing is Justin, I think if anyone here does a fandub of Garzey's Wing, I believe it will sound leagues better than the offical.

Last edited by KabaKabaFruit on Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
|

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:22 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by | on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5