• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Box Office, September 15–16, 22-23: Eva Drops

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porcupine

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:00 am Reply with quote
I don't know. The numbers aren't final yet and I didn't have a good sense of scale over what is a lot and what isn't, but thanks to some of the previous posts in this thread I have a better idea. Still, I am inclined to agree with the initial post, that things aren't looking that great for Eva if all these numbers are true (I am not only referring to the numbers in the article, but the numbers that people claim for EoE in this thread).

Keep in mind that most of what a movie makes is in the initial weeks anyway. Also, DVD sales also have a lot to do with how well a movie does, maybe just as much as at the box office. Before announcing death or success I think we have to wait until the DVDs come out.

But, at least so far it doesn't appear as if the new movie is doing much better than End of Eva. I personally feel that a New series ought to have WAY more anticipation than something that was 'fixing' a messed-up TV series. If the profits are even comparable, that doesn't sound like good news for the Eva franchise to me.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:20 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't think anyone is saying that the new Eva movie is doing much better than the old movies. But there is a huge gap between much-better-than-the-old and "dead." The new Eva movie is in the vast middle, like many non-dead franchises that simply do steady numbers. Many film franchises are happy, even thrilled, if this year's box office are roughly steady with box offices a decade ago--especially in Japan, where ticket prices have not risen like those in the United States have.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2