• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Duo Tournament: RESULTS.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:35 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
Voting for: Belldandy & Keiichi Morisato from Ah! My Goddess
Reason: I've actually seen this series and, while I don't overly like it I do have to admit that they make a decent pair. Even if Belldandy is the Goddess of housewives.

Group A-2
Voting for: Tsubasa & Hikaru from Figure 17
Reason: Again, I've actually seen this series and their relationship is one that I can appreciate.

Group A-3
Voting for: Nicholas D. Wolfwood & Vash the Stampede from Trigun
Reason: Because I love them. That aside, I think they play off each other wonderfully and the contrast between their characters is one that really works well within the series.

Group A-4
Voting for: Hermes & Kino from Kino's Journey
Reason: Because I hate Isaac and Miria with a passion and want them to be run over by the train.

Group A-5
Voting for: Rosette & Chrono
Reason: Because they are my mini-game choice (when I didn't know either series, I went off who had more points from the nominations)

Group A-6
Voting for: Lelouch Lamperouge & CC from Code Geass
Reason: Mostly because I've seen the series (even if I did cast a vote against them in nominations because I don't find the relationship that interesting...but I don't know if the Princess Tutu one is any more so).

Group A-7

Voting for: Renji Asou & Chihiro Shindou from ef - a tale of memories
Reason: mini-game guess due to more points in nominations (be prepared to see this a fair amount from me)

Group A-8

Voting for: Ayame & Shigure Sohma from Fruits Basket
Reason: mini-game guess.

Group A-9

Voting for: Ash & Pikachu from Pokemon
Reason: Because Pikachu is awesome. Also, while I never really watched much of this series, from the little I have seen it's clear what an important relationship this is for both characters. (also I've never seen Armitage)

Group A-10

Voting for: Atsushi Otani & Risa Koizumi from Lovely Complex
Reason: Even though they are frustrating as hell sometimes, these two are really cute and have a fun relationship to watch.

Group A-11

Voting for: Robin & Amon
Reason: I've seen this anime and sometimes this relationship wasn't so bad. Yeah. I'm decisive.

Group A-12

Voting for: Takumi Mayama & Ayumi Yamada from Honey and Clover
Reasons: I haven't seen this anime, but I'm going to go with the assumption that it's similar enough to the manga that I can vote based off it. This relationship was one of the things that made me like H&C, even though it is slice of life which usually bores me to tears.

Group A-13

Voting for: Horo & Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf
Reasons: mini-game guess

Group A-14

Voting for: Shuji & Chise from Saikano
Reasons: I've always wanted to see/read this series and their relationship is the reason for that.

Group A-15

Voting for: Van Fanel & Hitomi Kanzaki from Vision of Escaflowne
Reasons: Even if Escaflowne apparently has one of the worst endings ever (according to the recent Hey Answerman! thread), I love this couple and even if they are another frustrating one, watching them get past the frustration is half the fun.

Group A-16

Voting for: Excel & Hyatt from Excel Saga
Reasons: These two are just hilarious. Again, I mainly just love them.

(and yes, for the record, I have voted against mini-game guesses, I'm only actively voting for them in pairs where I have no clue who either side is and so going with the higher ranked one/one I've heard more about seems as good as reason as any for these votes).
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:35 am Reply with quote
It makes me a little sad to see a duo (Utena & Anthy) being voted against for a pair that are really barely seen together in the show. They have a few moments, but come on, Revolutionary Girl Utena is entirely about Utena and her quest to save Anthy. For the coin toss people, you might want to take that into consideration. You can always change your votes, after all. ^_-
Olliff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
It makes me a little sad to see a duo (Utena & Anthy) being voted against for a pair that are really barely seen together in the show. They have a few moments, but come on, Revolutionary Girl Utena is entirely about Utena and her quest to save Anthy. For the coin toss people, you might want to take that into consideration. You can always change your votes, after all. ^_-

I beg to differ. The Shigure and Ayame pair should not be undervalued. Their status as a duo is very strong and support for this pair is felt all over the anime community. This is supported by the fact that fan sites dedicated solely to this pair exist, such as shigurexayame.baptism-of-blood.net/. You are entitled to your own opinion. However, I believe that undecided voters should be aware that both pairing are at the very least equally strong. Furthermore, your argument that the two are rarely seen together is an over exaggeration; although it is true that they are not the primary focus of the show they are not minor characters.

As for changing votes, is this is even allowed? This is my first experience with a contest on this site, therefore I do not know the precedent on this issue. However, changing votes could be potentially troublesome.

Posts, such as mine and yours, are good educators for those who don't know about this match up who haven't voted yet. However, I believe that after the fact (after voting) influence of these posts is not a good thing. This is due to the undeserved influence it has on those who may have regretted who they voted for due to lack of knowledge about both contenders. Likewise, voting in reality is final; therefore, this is a good precedent to follow. Additionally, opening up editing of votes allows the opportunity for fraud to exist. It will be interesting to see what others think about this issue or at least get an answer from the contest owner.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:16 am Reply with quote
Group A-1

Belldandy & Keiichi Morisato from Ah! My Goddess
vs.
Teresa & Clare from Claymore

How integral the mother-like/daughter-like Teresa & Clare pairing is to Claymore more than balances out the short duration of their relationship, and they certainly have a bond strong enough to be worthy of inclusion and possibly even winning a round or two, but they are up against one of anime's most iconic romantic couples. Belldandy & Keiichi are bound by love and divine contract and have been an institution in anime fandom for 15 years (and longer in manga). Love 'em or hate 'em, only one or two other romantic couples in all of fandom match how well-established they are. They should be one of the favorites to win the entire tournament.

Group A-2

Tsubasa & Hikaru from Figure 17
vs.
Miki Koshikawa & Yuu Matsuura from Marmalade Boy

I'm not very familiar with either of these couples, but I know that Miki & Yuu are one of the classic romantic pairings so I'll go with them.

Group A-3

Nicholas D. Wolfwood & Vash the Stampede from Trigun
vs.
Yusaku Godai & Kyoko Otonashi from Maison Ikkoku

Again I'm choosing the classic romantic pairing over the more recent friends/partners pairing, so that means Yusaku & Kyoko here for me.

Group A-4

Hermes & Kino from Kino's Journey
vs.
Miria Harvent & Isaac Dian from Baccano!

Honestly, I wasn't crazy about the Hermes & Kino pair even being nominated, but they are a duo working together for the entire series (in fact, the only recurring characters) and I'm not at all familiar with Baccano!

Group A-5

Rosette Christopher & Chrono from Chrono Crusade
vs.
Karin Maaka & Kenta Usui from Karin

Wow, either of these couples couple win and I wouldn't be disappointed. A human girl + her bonded/devoted otherworldly friend/servant/love interest vs. a vampire girl + her human helper/friend/co-worker/love interest? Actually very intrinsically similar relationships despite the gender flip. Ultimately Rosette & Chrono is the slightly stronger pairing because their lives are literally linked, and the way they (MAJOR spoiler) spoiler[die together] should sell them against most competition in this tournament.

Group A-6

Ahiru & Fakir from Princess Tutu
vs.
Lelouch Lamperouge & CC from Code Geass

Although I adore Princess Tutu, I don't find this to be a particularly strong pairing despite the way things play out from about episode 12 on (and that theirs is more of a partnership than a romance has nothing to do with it). Thus my vote for Lelouch & CC is more a vote against the Tutu pair than for the Geass pair.

Group A-7

Renji Asou & Chihiro Shindou from ef - a tale of memories
vs.
Akito Tenkawa & Yurika Misumaru from Martian Successor Nadesico

EDIT: I have been convinced to change my vote on this one. While Akito and Yurika make a respectable couple, with their crazy ups and downs, they aren't as tight as many others in this first round, and I have heard worthy enough arguments for Renji and Chihiro.

Group A-8

Utena & Anthy from Revolutionary Girl Utena
vs.
Ayame & Shigure Sohma from Fruits Basket

This one should be no contest. The Utena & Anthy relationship, whether you read romance into it or not, is the heart, soul, and substance of their entire series, whereas Ayame & Shigure are just an entertaining pairing of friends/relatives amongst many relationships in that series.

Group A-9

Ash & Pikachu from Pokemon
vs.
Ross Sylibus & Naomi Armitage from Armitage III

A surprisingly competitive choice here. Ash & Pikachu are certainly a strong team, and at the heart of their series, but Ross & Naomi start as partners, fall in love, battle together against their foes, get married, and have a kid over the course of two movies/OVAs. That's pretty hard to beat in terms of being well-established.

Group A-10

Atsushi Otani & Risa Koizumi from Lovely Complex
vs.
Tomo Takino & Koyomi "Yomi" Mizuhara from Azumanga Daioh

I questioned whether Tomo & Koyomi really qualified as a duo during the qualifying discussions, so I'm going to hold position here. Thus my vote for Atsushi & Risa is more a vote against the AD pair than for them.

Group A-11

Robin & Amon from Witch Hunter Robin
vs.
Gennosuke & Oboro from Basilisk

Sorry, Robin, but the Romeo and Juliet-patterned relationship of Gennosuke & Oboro easily overwhelms whatever you think you have going on with Amon. (And really, he's too old for you, anyway.)

Group A-12

Shigure & Hatori Sohma (two on the left) from Fruits Basket
vs.
Takumi Mayama & Ayumi Yamada from Honey and Clover

I'm on a mission to vote out all of these Fruits Basket duos that never should have been included in the first place. Besides, from what little I know about Honey and Clover, Takumi & Ayumi should win this match-up solely on their own merits.

Group A-13

Suguru Misato & Mahoro Andou from Mahoromatic
vs.
Horo & Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf

This is the face-off I HATE HATE HATE more than any other in this first round, as a fluke of computer shuffling put two duos together that probably shouldn't have met until at least the third round. Although I love both of these series and both of these pairings (heck, I think I nominated both), there's only one correct choice here, and that's Lawrence & Horo. The unparalleled way they interact with each other make that series the delight that it is, and that slightly more than balances out all of the strong arguments I could make about the depth and emotional power of the evolving relationship Suguru & Mahoro form over two series.

Group A-14

Shuji & Chise from Saikano
vs.
Lavie Head & Claus Valca from Last Exile

Another interesting face-off, but nearly all of Saikano is ultimately about Shuji & Chise's relationship, and the eloquence of the writing in showing them trying to build their love despite Chise gradually losing her humanity is too great to deny.

Group A-15

Van Fanel & Hitomi Kanzaki from Vision of Escaflowne
vs.
Seita & Setsuko from Grave of the Fireflies

Yet another strong pairing. Do you go with the tragic brother/sister pair here or the two potential lovers who have many adventures together and occasionally work as a team? Difficult pick, but I've generally been favoring explicitly romantic pairings over ones that aren't so I'll give Van & Hitomi a slight edge here.

Group A-16

Excel & Hyatt from Excel Saga
vs.
Jinto Lin & Lafiel from Crest of the Stars

Another no-contest face-off. Excel & Hyatt don't even come close to matching the special kind of bond that Jinto & Lafiel form over the course of three series. (Heck, they win this one on the strength of the first series alone.) The latter two may never quite get to the point of romance, but their deep friendship, devotion, and caring makes them one of this tournament's strongest pairings. They are a strong contender to be one of this group's finalists.

Last edited by Key on Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:39 am Reply with quote
Whee! The new Tournament - Thanks guys for your hard work!

Group A-1

vs.

I'm afraid that I'm not familiar with either one, so I'm just going to go with my gut - Belldandy & Keiichi Morisato

Group A-2

vs.

Ah, someone I know and like - Miki Koshikawa & Yuu Matsuura

Group A-3

vs.

Another pair that I have not seen, going with the gut again - Yusaku Godai & Kyoko Otonashi

Group A-4

vs.

Urg! No clue here - I'm going with Hermes & Kino. Just because of the motorcycle.

Group A-5

vs.

This one isn't hard for me at all - Rosette Christopher & Chrono

Group A-6

vs.

While I'm looking forward to seeing Code Geass next week...I have to go with Ahiru & Fakir

Group A-7

vs.

The pair that made me laugh - Akito Tenkawa & Yurika Misumaru

Group A-8

vs.

Another urg! This one is tough but I'm going to go with Utena & Anthy because I think Shigure/Hatori is a much stronger pair.

Group A-9

vs.

This is NOT the Pokemon pair I'm planning to vote for so Ross Sylibus & Naomi Armitage get the vote. Not to mention the fact that she's a spoiler[robot that got knocked up!]

Group A-10

vs.

Ahhhh, I have got to give my vote to Tomo Takino & Koyomi "Yomi" Mizuhara! Simply one of the funniest duos I've seen.

Group A-11

vs.

I've heard about Basilisk (and I haven't looked at everyone else's votes yet) and I'm guessing I'm going to be in the minority here - Robin & Amon

Group A-12

vs.

Here are my guys! Shigure & Hatori Sohma get the vote!

Group A-13

vs.

I'm not familiar with either one of these, so the first one listed gets the vote - Suguru Misato & Mahoro Andou get my vote.

Group A-14

vs.

Lavie Head & Claus Valca get the vote because they're so cute! Well, they are!

Group A-15

vs.

A pair that frustrated me and a pair that made me weep. It was hard but - Van Fanel & Hitomi Kanzaki. I was going to vote for Seita & Setsuko but I remembered some of the decisions that Seita made (even though he was just a kid) and I couldn't bring myself to vote for them.

Group A-16

vs.

My Inner Fangirl is (still) protesting over the trauma she suffered from watching Excel Saga so Jinto Lin & Lafiel get the vote!
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
I'm really sad to see no one else voting for Isaac and Miria. They're like the "peanut butter n' jelly" of Baccano! I have nothing against Kino and Hermes, but these two should definitely not lose the first round. At least, I think it should be a really close call instead of being so one-sided. If only they were paired with other contestants... Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:05 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
rainbowcourage wrote:
A-9
Ross and Naomi from Armitage III
Because I prefer human pairs

Something seems odd about this quote.

oh dear my bad Embarassed
I didn't really know anything about Armitage III. However, I stand by my choice in that while Pikachu and Ash are indeed iconic, there is only so much Pikachu can do to further Ash as a person, while someone, android or not, who can think and feel and talk can certainly influence someone else on a much deeper level.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
Olliff wrote:
Mylene wrote:

I beg to differ. The Shigure and Ayame pair should not be undervalued. Their status as a duo is very strong and support for this pair is felt all over the anime community. This is supported by the fact that fan sites dedicated solely to this pair exist, such as shigurexayame.baptism-of-blood.net/. You are entitled to your own opinion. However, I believe that undecided voters should be aware that both pairing are at the very least equally strong. Furthermore, your argument that the two are rarely seen together is an over exaggeration; although it is true that they are not the primary focus of the show they are not minor characters.

Popularity doesn't equal a quality couple, however.

As my vote post shows, I'm strongly in Mylene's camp on this one. Revolutionary Girl Utena is ultimately mostly about Utena and Anthy, how Utena strives to be Anthy's prince, and the deep relationship that forms between them. The Shigure/Ayame pairing, however strong it may seem to be, is just an amusing sidelight to the main story in Fruits Basket. (At least the animated part, anyway.) Picking them over Utena/Anthy just reduces this to a pure popularity contest - at least IMO, anyway.

Quote:
As for changing votes, is this is even allowed? This is my first experience with a contest on this site, therefore I do not know the precedent on this issue. However, changing votes could be potentially troublesome.

Actually changing votes before time is called is explicitly allowed, per the method described in this thread's lead post. And since this is your first tournament, you're probably not aware that campaigning to get people to change their votes after the fact on one pairing or another is actually a time-honored tradition in these contests, especially in later rounds when some of the pairings can get extremely competitive.

And speaking on that issue, it looks like I have to do some further campaigning for Jinto & Lafiel, as this seems like another case where popularity is winning out over reasonable comparison. I have to wonder how many people who are voting for Excel/Hyatt over them have actually seen Crest/Banner of the Stars, as it's inconceivable to me that anyone who has seen one or more of those series would vote for Excel/Hyatt over them.

Come on, people. Granted, Excel and Hyatt make an interesting comedy duo, and they sing the opener together, but Jinto and Lafiel have one of those rare, special friendship bonds that only comes along a couple of times in a decade in anime. The two work closely together for almost the entire series, and the devotion they develop towards one another is made plain on many occasions; Jinto even states more than once that he's chosen to devote his life to being at Lafiel's side and supporting her in whatever manner possible, even if the sentiment isn't reciprocated. (Although it clearly is.) Also, the entire franchise is as much built around their relationship as the grand course of events in the plot.

If you're not sure or have no opinion on that last group, Jinto/Lafiel is the right choice, as anyone who has seen any of that franchise series should agree.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:35 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Popularity doesn't equal a quality couple, however.

As my vote post shows, I'm strongly in Mylene's camp on this one. Revolutionary Girl Utena is ultimately mostly about Utena and Anthy, how Utena strives to be Anthy's prince, and the deep relationship that forms between them. The Shigure/Ayame pairing, however strong it may seem to be, is just an amusing sidelight to the main story in Fruits Basket. (At least the animated part, anyway.) Picking them over Utena/Anthy just reduces this to a pure popularity contest - at least IMO, anyway.

Thanks for the eloquent backing, Key. I mean, I enjoy Ayame and Shigure as much as the next Fruits Basket fan, but really, they are not nearly as strong a pairing as their competition.

As for Jinto and Lafiel, I actually have seen Crest of the Stars and really....I didn't recall them being just that outstanding of a duo. However, it's been years since I've seen it, and sci-fi has a tendency to, well, lull me into a place where I can't really focus.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
As for Jinto and Lafiel, I actually have seen Crest of the Stars and really....I didn't recall them being just that outstanding of a duo. However, it's been years since I've seen it, and sci-fi has a tendency to, well, lull me into a place where I can't really focus.

I wholeheartedly support this couple. I think a good amount of my support comes from the development of their relationship over the coarse of the Banner I and II series as well. The evolving nature and multiple levels of there relationship has many strong points that are shared in the Marlene/Yuji Blue Gender pairing that I believe Key also endorses despite our usual very different tastes in anime. Jinto and Lafiel come from such different backgrounds and so many external forces stacked against them, yet they have such an amazing bond. I also find that there understanding of each other goes beyond words and there are a few moments in the series where there is an understood subtext to their surface demeanors. As I mentioned above I love Excel Saga, and Excel is one of my all time favorite villains, but the Excel/Hyatt bond seems like a fun gimmick compared to the deep relationship between Jinto and Lafiel.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Voting for: Belldandy & Keiichi
Reason: I've only seen Ah! My Goddess

Group A-2
Voting for: Miki Koshikawa & Yuu Matsuura
Reason: Marmalade boy was the more familiar series

Group A-3
Voting for: Nicholas D. Wolfwood & Vash the Stampede
Reason: Familiarity with the 2 characters

Group A-4
Voting for: Miria Harvent & Isaac Dian
Reason: They're lovable idiots

Group A-5
Voting for: Rosette Christopher & Chrono
Reason: Familiarity with the characters

Group A-6
Voting for: Lelouch Lamperouge & CC
Reason: Coin toss decision

Group A-7
Voting for: Akito Tenkawa & Yurika Musimaru

Group A-8
Voting for: Utena & Anthy
Reason: Cointoss decision

Group A-9
Voting for: Ash & Pikachu
Reason: Gotta have an animal going on in this tournament!

Group A-10
Voting for: Tomo Takino & Koyomi "Yomi" Mizuhara
Reason: Tomo for the win!

Group A-11
Voting for: Robin & Amon
Reason: A more interesting duo than Oboro and Gennosuke

Group A-12
Voting for: Takumi Mayama & Ayumi Yamada
Reason: Because I nominated them!

Group A-13
Voting for: Suguru Misato & Mahorou Ando

Group A-14
Voting for: Shuji & Chise

Group A-15
Voting for: Van Fanel & Hitomi Kanzaki
Reason: Good duo that develops over time

Group A-16
Voting for: Excel & Hyatt
Reason: More lovable idiots!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
mow123

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Voting for: Belldandy and Keiichi Morisato from Ah! My Goddess
Reason: good romantic couple

Group A-2
Voting for: Tsubasa & Hikaru from Figure 17
Reason: Better than other pair
Group A-3
Voting for: Vash the Stampede & Nicholas D. Wolfwood from Trigun
Reason: They balance each other
Group A-4
Voting for: Hermes and Kino from Kino’s Journey
Reason:they help each other out

Group A-5
Voting for: Chrono & Rosette Christopher from Chrono Crusade
Reason: popularity roll

Group A-6
Voting for: Lelouch Lamperouge & CC from Code Geass
Reason: Good pair
Group A-7
Voting for:Renji Asou & Chihiro Shindou from ef ~a tale of memories
Reason: Coin flip

Group A-8
Voting for: Ayame and Shigure from Fruits Basket
Reason: popularity roll
Group A-9
Voting for: Ash and Pikachu from Pokemon
Reason: Classic and well known pair
Group A-10
Voting for: Tomo and Yomi from Azumanga Daioh
Reason: two balance each other out well
Group A-11
Voting for: Robin and Amon from Witch Hunter Robin
Reason: coin flip

Group A-12
Voting for: Takumi Mayama & Ayumi Yamada from Honey and Clover
Reason: Honey and clover is better
Group A-13
Voting for: Lawrence and Horo from Spice and Wolf
Reason: Don't know either so sorta half guess

Group A-14
Voting for: Shuji & Chise from Saikano
Reason: Didn't know much about either series.

Group A-15
Voting for: Van Fanel & Hitomi Kanzaki from Vision of Escaflowne
Reason: coin flip
Group A-16
Voting for: Excel and Hyatt from Excel Saga
Reason: Good for balance

Last edited by mow123 on Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1

voting for:

Reason: I am not familiar with any of the series but from I have heard about them I have the impression that the relationship between Belldandy and Keiichi is very solid so I shall opt for it.

Group A-2

Voting for:

Reason: Tsubasa and Hikaru have a symbiotic relationship in which one really does need the other. Hikaru helps Tsubasa overcome many issues and the impact she has on Tsubasa's life is overwhelmingly positive. From spoiler[helping Tsubasa deal with the grief of a friend to imparting a great deal of self confidence in those lovable slice of life moments such as the theatre play; and the fact that in the end Tsubasa chooses not to forget about Hikaru shows that she has matured emotionally and mostly thanks to none other than Hikaru]

Group A-3

Voting for:

Reason: I am not familiar with the other anime, however I did watch Trigun and liked how Vash and Wolfwood managed to team up and achieve great things despite their differing points of view.

Group A-4

Voting for:

Reason: I have not seen Baccano!am currently working my way through Kino's Journey and so Kino and Hermes get my vote. Hermes seems to be the one travelling companion that Kino needs there is this spoiler[flashback sequence when Kino is riding Hermes for the first time and Hermes tells her that she must give provide balance while the motorrad will provide speed; it was a very nice moment that shows how complementary their relationship is.]

Group A-5

Voting for:

Reason: I have not seen any of these anime, I'll base my vote on the picture and leave it at that.

Group A-6

Voting for:

Reason: This was something of a difficult choice, mainly because Princess Tutu's pair that I am voting for does not have much visibility until, say, mid-ways into the series; C.C and Lelouch are more or less linked from the word go but I still cast my vote on Ahiru and Fakir because it is ultimately Ahiru who truly helps Fakir and vice versa. Despite there being a lot of focus on Mytho, spoiler[in the end Fakir accepts Ahiru in her duck form and sets down to writer story. Also, Ahiru and Fakir share a very beautiful ballet scene together under the lake in which they both understand that they have to be who they are and not simply fulfil roles within a story. As for Mytho he makes his choice and makes it in a very clear and unambiguous manner: Rue is his princess.]

Group A-7

Voting for:

Reason: I am not familiar with the other anime but either way, Renji and Chihiro are probably my favourite couple ever. Renji's never faltering earnest desire to stand by her side despite what that would entail in terms of emotional suffering makes him one of the best fictional boyfriends I have ever encountered. And despite Chihiro's tragic condition she clings to him and forces herself to give it her all. Then, of course, spoiler[the end only confirms this. Renji picking the pages of the diary from all over town and Chihiro being unable to cease thinking about him for a period of 13 hours- all this shows a deep devotion]

Group A-8

Voting for:

Reason: Mylene has already stated what I wished to say, the series does revolve around the relationship between these two and how it changes in subtle and not so subtle ways until it is strong and intricate enough to set events into motion. Also, this may be the one relationship that the other "couples" in the series end up mirroring in one way or another.

Group A-9

Voting for:

Reason: I am not familiar with either of these titles but whenever I see Ash Pikachu is always around.

Group A-10

Voting for:

Reason: In a nutshell, I am not familiar with the other anime so I will stick with Tomo and Yomi. Not to mention they do play off each other rather nicely in terms of being an "odd couple" of sorts.

Group A-11

Voting for:

Reason: I have not seen enough of these titles to make a fair judgment but Basilisk has a whole greater than life, larger than fate, starcrossed lovers' approach so I siding with it.

Group A-12

Voting for:

Reason: I am not familiar with either series so I will base this on the picture alone.

Group A-13

Voting for:

Reason: I am not familiar with the other title but Horo and Lawrence get this vote based on their own merits. Theirs is a partnership with a strong emotional backing that makes it unique.

Group A-14

Voting for:

Reason: I am sad to vote against Claus and Lavie but Shu and Chise's interactions are at the heart of Saikano's emotional appeal. These two go through hell together and carry on loving each other through it all.

Group A-15

Voting for:

Reason: I have not seen either of these but from I have heard, Grave of the Fireflies derives its power from the relationship between these two.

Group A-16

EDIT:

Voting for:

Reason: I am changing my vote because of virtually all people who have seen the two anime in question, which is not my case, seem adamant in choosing Jinto Lin and Lafiel. Especially Key's argument that won me over, so I shall do something that I hardly ever do and vote for a pair that I have not seen even if I am familiar with the other pair.

Last edited by NocturnalUX on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1

vs.

Teresa and Clare because I have the intention of watching this series when it comes out here.

Group A-2

vs.

Tsubasa and Hikaru because their picture looks better that the other paiur, I haven't seen either series.

Group A-3

vs.

Vash and Woolfwood mostly because I'm familiar with them. But I do think that their ability to get any task done is impressive.

Group A-4

vs.

I've not seen either series, but I'll vote for Isaac and Miria to make Aromatic Grass less sad.

Group A-5

vs.

Without a doubt, Rosette and Chrono, because I think they are the most bound together pair in this tourney.

Group A-6

vs.

Lelouche and CC because they have really cool names.

Group A-7

vs.

Akito and Yukira because I want to see Martian Successor Nadesco.

Group A-8

vs.

Utena and Anthy My reasoning here is, once again, I want to see their show, and they have cool names to boot.

Group A-9

vs.

Ash and Pikachu I haven't seen Armitage III, and I've only seen parts of Pokemon, but everybody knows that Ash and Pikachu are absolutely inseparable.

Group A-10

vs.

Tomo and Yomi because they are the pair I am most familiar with.

Group A-11

vs.

Gennosuke and Oboro because I want to see Basilisk.

Group A-12

vs.

Shigure and Hatori honestly, random. I would abstain if I could.

Group A-13

vs.

Suguru and Mahoro because I am familiar with them.

Group A-14

vs.

Shuji and Chise because I just finished Saikano last night and rated it Masterpiece. I should just pick titles from Key's lists from now on, he seems to know what he's talking about. Wink

Group A-15

vs.

Yay for being the first matchup where I've seen both titles, boo for being so hard Mad I'm going to go with Van and Hitome because I like that ending better.

Group A-16

vs.

Excel and Hyatt because they make me laugh.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Mylene wrote:

I wholeheartedly support this couple. I think a good amount of my support comes from the development of their relationship over the coarse of the Banner I and II series as well. The evolving nature and multiple levels of there relationship has many strong points that are shared in the Marlene/Yuji Blue Gender pairing that I believe Key also endorses despite our usual very different tastes in anime. Jinto and Lafiel come from such different backgrounds and so many external forces stacked against them, yet they have such an amazing bond. I also find that there understanding of each other goes beyond words and there are a few moments in the series where there is an understood subtext to their surface demeanors. As I mentioned above I love Excel Saga, and Excel is one of my all time favorite villains, but the Excel/Hyatt bond seems like a fun gimmick compared to the deep relationship between Jinto and Lafiel.

Hyatt and Excel aren't even a couple/duo that much as Excel is obsessed with Il Palazzo. Shoot, I'd say Gomez and the Macrocosim were a better couple, they at least got jiggy together. Or even better is Nabeshin and Space Butler. Excel and Hyatt are welterweights trying to compete against super heavy weights and they would simply get knocked out.

I simply can't believe more aren't voting for Saikano. I mean what Chise and Shuji went through together through out that war torn series makes most of the other couples pale in comparison.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 80