• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Clarifies Status of Negima, Romeo × Juliet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Blister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quote
That's what I was asking; when are they actually releasing Negima!? goddammit?! It was announced they had the licence an absolute age ago, it seems.

Zalis 116 wrote:
Despite all the flak that the Xebec Negima adaptation got, I had no trouble watching through all of it on fansubs and getting the DVDs when they came out. On the other hand, I haven't been able to bring myself to watch more than 6 episodes of the SHAFT Negima series, despite the higher-quality animation. At least the OVAs are hawt

Other way round for me; I'd rather have a complete reimagination of the story than a weak bastardisation of the manga. From what I've seen and heard of Negima!? it sounds almost like a second season of Pani Poni Dash.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I love the Negima! manga series, I own the entire first season from Funi, but haven't watched it yet. However, I watched the first 6 eps or so of Negima!? in fansubs and I've been looking forward to it coming out ever since they announced the license. I hope they decide to release it soon. And they could give us a nice little box to hold the series discs, and maybe make it big enough to hold an extra disc with both the OVAs on it. That would be nice.

EDIT: I'd also really like it if some animation studio would pick the ball back up and make another season, hopefully that would animate some or all of the tournament (if they make it, say, 50-52 episodes, they could pull this off).
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Wah, I really want to get my Romeo x Juliet legally here in the US, I don't even have a region 2 DVD player so I can't buy the Japanese DVDs either. But maybe since it's getting so much attention this will speed up the process...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Despite all the flak that the Xebec Negima adaptation got, I had no trouble watching through all of it on fansubs and getting the DVDs when they came out. On the other hand, I haven't been able to bring myself to watch more than 6 episodes of the SHAFT Negima series, despite the higher-quality animation. At least the OVAs are hawt Cool

Likewise, although I've still not gotten around to getting all the FUNimation discs (once I missed a couple of the LEs I lost all impetus) I have all the Japanese DVDs (with cards) but never got beyond the OVAs and first disc of Negima!?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
darcerin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I hope they license R x J over the course of this con season, but I hate getting my hopes up. Of course, I'd rather see Sailormoon over R x J any day. Smile
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
I hope they license R x J over the course of this con season, but I hate getting my hopes up. Of course, I'd rather see Sailormoon over R x J any day. Smile

damn straight. I don't care if its going to cost me $100 a season. Considering I did pay 200+ for the first two. Or is it four? Those blue boxes adv released...

that would be the best day ever.

But it is nice to hear about negima.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:

WORD! Id dump the cash for sailor moon season 1 anyday Anime hyper!!!
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Wah, I really want to get my Romeo x Juliet legally here in the US, I don't even have a region 2 DVD player so I can't buy the Japanese DVDs either. But maybe since it's getting so much attention this will speed up the process...

But you obviously have a computer. If you have a DVD drive, region free players are a dime a dozen on the internet nowadays. And PS2s are so darn easy to soft-mod that there's almost no excuse anymore.

That being said, R x J just seems like a series that would sound really good in an English dub, just like how I'd love to get my hands on a French dub (with subtitles) of Le Chevalier d'Eon. And hopefully, once it is licensed in English, they get a Lord Montague that DOESN'T sound like a frog.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:44 am Reply with quote
Yes, but region free is technically going against the industries "desires" so how can you advocate that while saying you should stick to the rules somewhere else. Aside from that do these dvds even have subtitles?
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
non sequitor

I see a very large difference between importing and downloading. Though you can get into technicalities and semantic gymnastics, I think anyone with common sense would agree.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
I'm confused.

The article states that Romeo x Juliet has not yet been licensed, while ANN's encyclopedia entry states that it has indeed been licensed. By FUNimation no less.

What's the deal?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:22 am Reply with quote
They basicly acted as Gonzo's attack dog about half way though the series' JP release (and, hence, it's Fansub run).

Now, they say it was to get on Gonzo's good side, but I have a small personal therom that states that most, if not all Gonzo's shows go to hell at about the half way mark, so I think it's Gonzo playing "Poney up 20$ for the mystery box, you might get gold you might get crap" game.

That said, I'd care more of it was, say, Seto No Hanayome, that got the Licence, I realy want to own that show.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
I'm confused.

The article states that Romeo x Juliet has not yet been licensed, while ANN's encyclopedia entry states that it has indeed been licensed. By FUNimation no less.

What's the deal?

I think that someone misunderstood that FUNimation does not own RxJ, they were just looking out for Gonzo.
And on the subject of DVDs, I would perfer to have a DVD that is in English so I could understand what button I was pressing, and I have have a suspicion that the Japanese DVDs do not come with an English option.
So yes I have an excuse for waiting (and wishing) for an English speaking company to get the rights to an anime, and I do know how to mod a regular DVD player to be all region so I wouldn't even need to buy a different one.
poehitman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:59 am Reply with quote
It's not like FUNimation's C&D letters had any teeth behind them (in the US anyways). My understand is that FUNi had no legal standing to take action against fansubbers of RxJ because they didn't hold the license to it. Merely being in a business relationship with Gonzo does not give them legal standing to sue fansubbers on Gonzo's behalf. Any suit would have been tossed out of court due to FUNi's lack of legal standing.
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote
I'll add my vote for Fun to get RXJ locked down. I rarely talk to a fan that hasn't already seen at least part of it fansubbed, and this series defiantly needs an R1 release. Smile

Bob (aka Robert)
The Anime Corner Store
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3