• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Click - March 22 - 28

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Something worth noting that's accurately omitted this week is One Piece. They didn't air it yesterday; instead, they aired Bakugan Neutral . Oh well. No offense to One Piece lovers, but there's not much difference in quality between the two to me.
01N10A01N

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:55 am Reply with quote
malik_chan wrote:

Yeah, too bad your conspiracy theory is wrong. The people who run [AS] actually like anime, but to stay afloat, they need to play something that will bring them ratings, and seeing that most people who watch [AS] don't watch it for the anime, they had to drop the reruns on weeknights.

Yes, I am sorely disappointed, seeing as I wanted to watch Blood+ all over again (Riku is my favorite character), but better they do what they must to survive and keep more adult anime on the air than them to be gotten rid of and no anime they have be shown.

Also, to the Blood+ haters, SHUT UP. That's nice you don't like the second half or whatever, but I'm sick of hearing how bad it is. I don't go around saying how great it is and the second half is the best part, so I would appreciate the same in return.

What they are showing isn't bringing in the numbers though. Also by moving the Anime to the 12:30 time slot they have managed to drop those numbers as well.

AS comedy has produced some very questionable material Eg; Tim and Eric, Saul of the Mole Men, 12 oz Mouse, ect.

A large part of the problem is that their comedy shows are now up against similar, if not the exact same show (Family Guy), on other channels. Also the Anime, which they have let get stale by not rotating the shows enough/acquiring new shows, is now up against competition on other channels.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:00 am Reply with quote
Deleted. But it wasn't a conspiracy theory at THAT time...

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
01N10A01N

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:21 am Reply with quote
Don't forget dropping all the premiers of Anime the day before April Fools day last year, opting instead to show Perfect Hair Forever, with bad fansubs and the fanservice moments. That really hacked off a lot of the anime viewers.

Also did this click article miss Tactics on Monday night...
rocklobster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
yep they did. It's on tonight at its regular time, 11 PM EST.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
eviltimes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
It's sad that Blood+ is done. Best new R1 show out there. Now there's nothing worth watching on [as].

Sad
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Amethyst Alchemist wrote:
Something worth noting that's accurately omitted this week is One Piece. They didn't air it yesterday; instead, they aired Bakugan Neutral . Oh well. No offense to One Piece lovers, but there's not much difference in quality between the two to me.
Nah, it was brighter & shinier.

Quote:
or did I accurately describe the basic scenario around Bakugan?
Not quite (from watching the above stealth-episode,) you forgot that it resulted from an unholy union between Nestle's Wonderball and any of the millions of trading card games out there. The card contains a token, and the token is alive, but apparently the card can then be used for field bonuses (yawn.) Moral of the story: if you are a REAL fan, you need to buy both sets of overpriced shwag collectibles, the cards and the figurines, to truely experience the fun.

malik_chan wrote:
The people who run [AS] actually like anime, but to stay afloat, they need to play something that will bring them ratings, and seeing that most people who watch [AS] don't watch it for the anime, they had to drop the reruns on weeknights.
Nonsense. AS themselves note that anime has very consistent ratings ... though hunting down the recording right now would take too long.

Quote:
and all we could talk about was either Ghost in the Shell or Ninja Scroll.
A show on Starz showed 95% of their clips from Manga brand shows? With the other 5% either being completely non-related, non-anime, or too big to ignore in passing? Amazing. Who is up for obtaining a huge government grant to investigate why? PS - What, no rant on how Bamboo wasn't actually shown? (animenewsnetwork.com/the-click/2007-12-15)
billyarnie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:46 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Amethyst Alchemist wrote:
Nah, it was brighter & shinier.

Quote:
or did I accurately describe the basic scenario around Bakugan?
Not quite (from watching the above stealth-episode,) you forgot that it resulted from an unholy union between Nestle's Wonderball and any of the millions of trading card games out there. The card contains a token, and the token is alive, but apparently the card can then be used for field bonuses (yawn.) Moral of the story: if you are a REAL fan, you need to buy both sets of overpriced shwag collectibles, the cards and the figurines, to truely experience the fun.

One Piece had its last episode on Mar. 15... for now. Hopefully it will be back soon & continue the Skypiea arc. If it starts at the beginning, at least it will be a better dub than the 4Kids crap dub.
"... not much difference in quality between the two to me". OK, that's your opinion. Bakugan may be "brighter & shinier", but it's slicker marketing as well. Cartoon Network has the merchandising rights in conjunction with Spin Master Toys. Look for commercials on CN soon pimping advertising overpriced shwag collectibles, the cards and the figurines.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
That Anime: Drawing a Revolution thing immediately disappointed me by calling Transformers an anime. Transformers isn't a Japanese cartoon. That's like saying that The Simpsons is a South Korean cartoon just because it's animated there. I would never say that.

Then I had to put up with the flashes to movies like Sin City and 300. The parallels between Ghost in the Shell and The Matrix are fairly obvious, but what anime was Sin City inspired by?

It also called The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya a hentai and compared it to La Blue Girl. Seriously, WTF?

As for AS's new reaction to anime, I'm not surprised. I knew this was coming for a while. 1:30 in the morning, so that the ratings will turn out even worse, and they can finally use it as an excuse to get that serious shit off their station completely. It was a good run for those people/vampires like me that actually watched, I guess.

I can't wait to watch Code Geass! Yay!
I saw this Starz doc back in November. From what I can say, it wasn't a very good one, it felt pretenious and sort of felt like a vehicle for some more crappy, overbudgeted,live action versions of popluar cartoons like Speed Racer and G-force. The one thing I did like aobut thid doc was not just Hal Sparks and La -Blue Girl, but also Ralph Antonio Oliver a.k.a. Tony Oliver talking about some of his experience in working in the industry.

Speaking of Cartoon Network, looks like it's time for another period of a lack of anime like in 2003. We all saw this comming, after all Geneon's departure was a huge blow to AS who had a deal with them that was more than Funimation and Bandai, and in 2006 they stopped doing business with ADV. Both G4 and CN are paying for stabbing ADV in the back. I never understood why CN stopped doing business with ADV films, after all is WAS CN's fault for Evangelion's ratings being so poor, they premiered it with little promotion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2