• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Xam'd: Lost Memories (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onsokumaru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I wish this wasn't on the damn ps3. I don't have one so I don't have anyway to watch it.
Zoe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I didn't find this episode to be engaging as the first. I think the next one will determine whether I keep renting the show.
Wellness

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quote
The second episode only dragged in my opinion during the fight sequence. It seemed to take too long and wasn't that interesting. But all the character moments with the supporting cast were good, especially the bit with the parents.

Although I find myself dreading the conspiracy/mythology of Xam'd, from what they have revealed so far it definitely doesn't look to be anything new or THAT interesting, although the rest of the show has promise.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:48 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
OP/ED are fantastic and the animation quality is far above a normal tv series. Bones are doing this and Soul Eater at the same time as well as working on the Eureka Seven movie, they are the studio when it comes to animation quality.
The first episode was damn good.More quality from Bones (It seems they can do no wrong) It also,kind of brought me back to the old days which I liked.I enjoyed every bit of the OP,it's another catchy tune,and Bones's animations are getting pretty close to Ghibli's.I love it and can't wait for ep 2. Very Happy
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:29 am Reply with quote
The animation is just plain awesome, I loved the scene in the bus, it was really atmospheric. I can't say much about the story after two episodes, but the cast sure seems interesting - overall it reminds me of Eureka 7, with the huge supporting cast flying around in a big ship and stuff.
I love the OP and the ED, both are really catchy and the animation rocks, too.
The best thing is that Bones productions have a higher chance of a DVD release than, say, Kaiba.
G-mofactor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
I didn't find this episode to be engaging as the first. I think the next one will determine whether I keep renting the show.

Hmmm... I understand what you are coming from.
The episode did went fast, but to me the story is getting me nowhere.
Even though it excites me to see the next episodes (thanks to one my friends), I find each episode to be consistent because every time I watch an episode, it gives a few clues in the setting. Besides the fight in episode 2 was pretty good.
Houlgrave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote
Oh give me a break people. This is going to be a 26-episode series, so there's plenty of time for exciting/interesting twists to happen a bit further down the line. A good story requires building up its characters and setting before anything else, issues of originality aside, and in regards to that Xam'd is doing a damn fine job for its first 3+ episodes.
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Houlgrave wrote:
Oh give me a break people. This is going to be a 26-episode series, so there's plenty of time for exciting/interesting twists to happen a bit further down the line. A good story requires building up its characters and setting before anything else, issues of originality aside, and in regards to that Xam'd is doing a damn fine job for its first 3+ episodes.

Yes, it is understandable to take time for a proper buildup. However, this is a PPV series. They need to take extra care to make sure the pacing entices the viewer to keep paying for the next episode.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
Houlgrave wrote:

Yes, it is understandable to take time for a proper buildup. However, this is a PPV series. They need to take extra care to make sure the pacing entices the viewer to keep paying for the next episode.

Exactly. Which is why if it starts to suck, you stop buying, and all the money you wasted was for nothing. Why is why blind-buying anime in any fashion is extremely dangerous unless it's so cheap that it hardly matters. $52 for a rental isn't cheap.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
$52 for a rental isn't cheap.

If only it was that cheap. Even if you are doing the SD rental, it comes out to $78. If you want to take full advantage of that nice HDTV and $500 system, its $104. And that doesn't include the tax.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Just downloaded the first 3 episodes, but just like my also downloaded episodes of Natsume Yuujin-Chou, I have no clue when in the heck I'm going to get around to watching them.......

Was a little bit skeptical about checking this one out at first, mostly due to what a lot of people were saying in the thread when it was announced.... yeah I know, not the greatest idea in the world. Anime smile. But I decided to just go ahead with it anyways because hey, it's BONES!!! Anime hyper Can't possibly go wrong with them, right? Wink
G-mofactor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Was a little bit skeptical about checking this one out at first, mostly due to what a lot of people were saying in the thread when it was announced.... yeah I know, not the greatest idea in the world. Anime smile. But I decided to just go ahead with it anyways because hey, it's BONES!!! Anime hyper Can't possibly go wrong with them, right? Wink

I can't see whats wrong with it, and I am pretty sure you can't go wrong with it either. It never hurts to watch. Like everyone else have said, BONES can put up really amazing shows.
Hopefully you'll enjoy watching the first three, for now that is. Smile
nkaze

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Show = Good.
Rental Price= Bad

Bad Rental Price Scheme= Bit Torrent

For $3.99, I can buy all of Dr. Horrible off of iTunes.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:50 pm Reply with quote
G-mofactor wrote:
I can't see whats wrong with it, and I am pretty sure you can't go wrong with it either. It never hurts to watch. Like everyone else have said, BONES can put up really amazing shows.
Hopefully you'll enjoy watching the first three, for now that is. Smile

Heh heh, well go figure, I just got done watching 2 of the 3 episodes (just couldn't wait to try a new BONES series, could I? Wink ) and quite frankly I can't see what's so wrong with it either! Anime hyper

Wow. Just wow. Favorite series of both spring and summer seasons, hands down. Even moreso than Kaiba. I'm not even sure Natsume Yuujin-Chou could bring this down as my favorite. It might not be as good as those other ones but never mind that at all, it's still my favorite. It's exactly as Shaddowrun said, a return to the good 'ol days. I mean everything they've put out has been great, but I don't know how long it's been since they put out a series of this calibur. Not since Eureka 7 if I'm thinking right. In fact it kind of reminds me a lot of Eureka 7, as others have said. Yeah, not too terribly original or anything, but I think the advantage it might have over Eureka as a possible Masterpiece definitely has to be in the fact that it's more of a general Sci-Fi epic than it is a mech one, with all the mech cliche's and whatnot. But yeah, definitely right up there with the likes of Wolf's Rain, FMA, and Cowboy Beebop if anything else. MAN was I never expecting this series to be THAT good!

Of course being only 2 (soon to be 3) episodes in it that's really only my first impression. Who knows what'll happen latter, but so far it has all kinds of potential in both it's story and characters to be very, very interesting. And of course on top of that, the animation and musical score are just incredible as well. Like I say, right up there with it's other great masterpieces. Hopefully it'll continue the constancy that made all those others Masterpieces/near Masterpieces as well.

As for means of watching this series, well, to tell you the truth I had no idea PS3 was offering it, and I don't even have a PS3 anyways, so yeah, I guess I'll just be downloading fansubs for it. Anime smile + sweatdrop Eh, no matter, I don't think there's a question I'm buying this one when it's licensed anyways.
nkaze

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:14 am Reply with quote
Just finished the third episode. Seems like a cross between Eureka Seven and Last Exile. Be interesting to see where it goes from here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6