• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TV Tokyo: Crunchyroll Has Nearly 70,000 Paid Subscribers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Konopan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:56 am Reply with quote
selfDemanDeD wrote:
3) Improving subtitles quality: hiring some of the good active fansubbers out there with their teams to make styled subs and karaoke
If they do that, then they'll be really worth subscribing to.

I seriously hope you're trolling here.
Rensie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:13 am Reply with quote
CR is not bad BUT has some heavy limits:

- translation is not accurate some times
- censorship

pass the first but not the second one. why i have to pay a fee to watch a censored show? in Japan anime that CR stream are censored too but is because they are broadcasted for free on public tv channels. they should add later the director's cut version of the show (always dvd/bd edition), then is worth a monthly fee.

atm is not worth, fansub still superior in everything because of double versions. they should fix this part. imo.
selfDemanDeD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:19 am Reply with quote
Konopan wrote:
selfDemanDeD wrote:
3) Improving subtitles quality: hiring some of the good active fansubbers out there with their teams to make styled subs and karaoke

Why should I be trolling? There are some good translators among the fansubbers, and the styled releases certainly look nicer. Personally, I don't care about karaoke effects, but having songs translated along with original lines in romaji is not bad.
Mirri

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:31 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
selfDemanDeD wrote:
Well, then the next steps should be:
1) Improving video quality
2) Adding Blu-Ray versions (and yes, with 1080p streams, too); if there's nudity - restrict access to 18+ somehow, but still offer them
4) Allowing purchasing or something like that of a digital copy of an episode for download
5) And, of course, simulcasting, if possible, all the actual shows

And when they meet all of these demands you'll have another list of 5 reasons why you won't give them money.

I love you.

selfDemanDeD wrote:
Konopan wrote:
selfDemanDeD wrote:

Why should I be trolling? There are some good translators among the fansubbers, and the styled releases certainly look nicer. Personally, I don't care about karaoke effects, but having songs translated along with original lines in romaji is not bad.

Um, doesn't Crunchyroll already employ ex-fansubbers?
TD912

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:53 am Reply with quote
Konopan wrote:
selfDemanDeD wrote:

There's always going to be some minor issues to nitpick about, and some person who will complain about them. A few people I know who speak both English and Japanese fluently (including one person in a well-known fansubbing group) say the translation and grammar in Crunchyroll's subtitles are generally fine, save for some minor issues that crop once in a while, usually because seemingly different translators work on different things. There's even a button to report translation errors on the site.

Also, the translation of music lyrics into English is a decent suggestion, but displaying romaji and actual Japanese characters is mostly pointless. If you're watching English-subtitled anime, you most likely don't understand Japanese, and can't read the characters anyway. And while you may be able to read the romaji, you'll still be reading/singing a bunch of Romanized gibberish that you won't understand. Not to mention there are separate legal issues that may arise from the use of said lyrics in subtitles.

As for styles related to subbing Japanese text, some fansub groups go overboard to create fancy subtitles that move around the screen following the Japanese text, or use effects that change the perspective and rotation and color. Despite it looking cool and looking similar to the Japanese text in the video, it tends to make it harder to read. If you ever had to pause the video just to read styled text when the Japanese text should be easy to read in the first place, you know the styling was probably overkill or just done badly. There are also cases where frivolous things are translated, like a red stop sign near a traffic light, or text near a universal symbol for "High Voltage." The object of subtitles isn't to "photoshop" the video with English everywhere, it's to quickly convey what is being shown.

As for the question of "Why should I pay when Japanese can watch TV for free?" They don't. They pay taxes and fees to support public broadcasting, and there are obviously advertisements during shows on commercial broadcasting networks.
selfDemanDeD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:17 am Reply with quote
Mirri, to Zac's post I replied already. Smile As to the second thing - yes, I heard they do, but they could use some more, I think.

TD912, their translation is generally fine, I agree on that. As for lyrics - well, I suppose, everyone has their own point of view about what should be shown. But, at least, it would be nice to know the general meaning of the songs. Smile

I'm not suggesting to hire guys, who overdo the styling. But having an adequate styling is a good thing.

As for your last point, well, I didn't have such a question, so I guess it's directed to somebody else. Wink
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:26 am Reply with quote
Why are people so hung up on how Crunchyroll used to host illegal videos? Back when Crunchyroll was doing that I was a pirate too. But now I'm all legit, and I wouldn't have been able to take that path so easily if it weren't for Crunchyroll's streams. Isn't it a GOOD thing that we are both on the straight and narrow now? Just because Crunchy was once illegal doesn't mean that it will continue to be and always has to be that way...it's a change for the better. People should be glad about it.
Mirri

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:17 am Reply with quote
selfDemanDeD wrote:
Mirri, to Zac's post I replied already. Smile

That doesn't mean I can't still love him for his post.

ss-hikaru wrote:
Why are people so hung up on how Crunchyroll used to host illegal videos? Back when Crunchyroll was doing that I was a pirate too. But now I'm all legit, and I wouldn't have been able to take that path so easily if it weren't for Crunchyroll's streams. Isn't it a GOOD thing that we are both on the straight and narrow now? Just because Crunchy was once illegal doesn't mean that it will continue to be and always has to be that way...it's a change for the better. People should be glad about it.

To quote Mallory Archer, "And JFK's father was a bootlegger." - this is that sort of logic, and I can agree with it to an extent, but I really am resentful that CRUNCHYROLL of all sites had to end up being the successful one. I wish that the streaming leaks with FUNi and ANN never happened, because then we might be in a slightly different situation with regards to industry trust where a company that did not start on an illegal basis could have made the serious money.

While the site may be good now, it has its origins in stealing. Stealing.
Profiting off other peoples' works without any permissions or rights.
This bit is redundant, but I just feel hosting (and streaming) illegal videos is like stealing^2, because the content is stolen AND shared. That increased the damages constantly until there was no choice but, "Can't beat 'em? Join 'em."

I am a subscriber, though, because a fraction of my money goes to the production committees. But that doesn't mean I can't hate myself for it.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:34 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Used to be a subscriber, but I got rid of it once they forgot the meaning of simulcast. Having more than half of a season lineup a week late isn't really acceptable when they used to air it all within hours.

Ika Musume season 2, and (New) Hunter x Hunter would like to have a word with you.

Okay, so we're still four weeks behind The Idolmaster's Japanese broadcast, but CR has hardly "forgotten the meaning of simulcast". I'm assuming that things just came up for that show. With all due respect, I really don't think that's fair. Most (though admittedly not all) of their existing shows are still true simulcasts, so I would suggest maybe trying their subsciption again.

Having said all of that however, I really only got the subscription so I could watch Fairy Tail, which requires it. I actually don't mind waiting a week for the latest episodes. After all, we're lucky we even have legal anime streams in the first place. For this reason, I personally think 1080p is too much to ask, especially since as someone previously mentioned, it would likely mean raising subscription rates, or even creating two separate "tiers" of paid service, which I really hope doesn't happen (in other words, "be careful what you wish for", as they say).

On the other hand, I would like them improve their translations overall. Incidentally, they did offer episodes for download once, but not anymore.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:50 am Reply with quote
The greatest piece of this news article:
Quote:
...generating profit for TV Tokyo on this venture.

It's going to be a quiet forum now that the voice of those trying to convince everyone around them streaming isn't profitable have just been proven wrong.

[/tongue in cheek]

Edited to clarify statement was sarcasm.

Last edited by PetrifiedJello on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mirri

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Used to be a subscriber, but I got rid of it once they forgot the meaning of simulcast. Having more than half of a season lineup a week late isn't really acceptable when they used to air it all within hours.

Ika Musume season 2, and (New) Hunter x Hunter would like to have a word with you.

Okay, so we're still four weeks behind The Idolmaster's Japanese broadcast, but CR has hardly "forgotten the meaning of simulcast". I'm assuming that things just came up for that show. With all due respect, I really don't think that's fair. Most (though admittedly not all) of their existing shows are still true simulcasts, so I would suggest maybe trying their subsciption again.

Having said all of that however, I really only got the subscription so I could watch Fairy Tail, which requires it. I actually don't mind waiting a week for the latest episodes. After all, we're lucky we even have legal anime streams in the first place. For this reason, I personally think 1080p is too much to ask, especially since as someone previously mentioned, it would likely mean raising subscription rates, or even creating two separate "tiers" of paid service, which I really hope doesn't happen (in other words, "be careful what you wish for", as they say).

On the other hand, I would like them improve their translations overall. Incidentally, they did offer episodes for download once, but not anymore.

I personally think 1080p is too much to ask, because their 720p streams already generally look pretty bad for 720p. I wish that I could go back in time and strangle whoever decided that Flash was the good platform for streaming online video. Also, if the 1080p was high enough quality, it's very unlikely that the majority of subscribers (if it were available without an additional fee) would be able to even stream it with their bandwidth. The US is not exactly the best place for fast internet. We're not even in the top 15 average highest speed countries in the world as of a little over 2 months ago.[source] (average speed in South Korea, the #1 fastest average internet speed country in the world, is only 2.2Mb/s (edit: lowercase b)- 1080P video would saturate even that, pretty quickly)

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Quote:

It's going to be a quiet forum now that the voice of those trying to convince everyone around them streaming isn't profitable have just been proven wrong.

Yes. Absolutely. This is fantastic, this is great, this is awesome, this is so amazing, this is so cool, this sentence is redundant!

Last edited by Mirri on Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total
TG72

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:25 am Reply with quote
I'm thrilled to hear it's working out for them and grateful for the shows they've given me a chance to see. I haven't gotten a subscription because I'm already with Netflix, RentAnime and The Anime Network. Waiting a week for new episodes doesn't bother me at all.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:41 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Quote:

Past performance is no guarentee of future, and you can bet your mortgage that if TV Tokyo suddenly decides it's not that profitable anymore and needs to cut funding, CR will cut the Rising Sun from their mast and hoist the Jolly Roger again faster than you can say "Crunchyroll". Wink
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote
selfDemanDeD wrote:
Well, then the next steps should be:
1) Improving video quality
2) Adding Blu-Ray versions (and yes, with 1080p streams, too); if there's nudity - restrict access to 18+ somehow, but still offer them
4) Allowing purchasing or something like that of a digital copy of an episode for download
5) And, of course, simulcasting, if possible, all the actual shows

1) all of CR's own 720p encodes look good. The quality is basically on par with the TV transport stream. I hope you realize that CR is also using h.264 and the same tools fansubbers tools (aegisub, x264, etc). Just check out Squid Girl, The World God Only Knows, Wandering Son for example.
2) Although I'd like to see the same for all shows, they actually do have uncensored versions for the non-simulcasted shows they have obtained. And they don't use a hard age restriction either.
3) Their subs are fine aside from a few infamous cases. They are are using styled subs; notice those aren't bitmap fonts; their player even allows you to enable font smoothing. No need for karaoke, though song translations would be nice (this has been explained before). They already use fansubbers. And their translations are the same used on many of the commercial video releases by all the US licensees.
4) Yes, I'd like that too, but it ain't gonna happen the way most Japanese publishers are
5) Most shows are simulcasted for paying members. Even in Japan there's no pure simulcasting as the schedule varies among the different stations. Any conditions like short expiration or longer delays are due to the publishers.
EpicLotus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:05 am Reply with quote
I hope they never start using "styled subs" on their streams, or start doing karaoke crap. That's one of the reasons I started using CR over fansubs in the first place. Subtitles are there to help understand the episode, not showcase how awesome your font collection is. Frankly, last time I watched a fansub (which was a very long time ago now), the OP and ED were so cluttered with crap from the fansub group, I could barely see the animation in the background. Idiots. I'm trying to watch the show, not your egogasm.

Also, I'm not against having karaoke as an extra on a disc-based release, but I don't need a Sing-Along Song every time I fire up an episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3