• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Frontier Volume 1 Ships 45,000 Blu-ray Discs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atlus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:33 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Atlus wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
they could easily fit the whole series on 1-2 blu-ray discs there is no reason for this at all.

They could probably fit the whole season on twice without losing much quality at all. Oh well, supply and demand is a wonderful thing.

This is just not true.

At 1080p, even using AVC compression, once you include lossless 5.1 audio, you could fit 6 hours on a double layered BD (50 GB) and maintain quality. So the max they could really do is 12 or so episodes per disc without losing quality (or 6 on a single layered one) BD's were designed to have approxmately the same capacity as DVDs in terms of length, except that they'd store HD video instead of SD.

However if you are talking about storing SD video on a blu-ray, then yes, you could fit the entire 26 episode season on 1 50 GB blu-ray.

I find this hard to believe. An hour of high fidelity audio can fit on a CD (700mb) so we are looking at around 300mb per episode and even at 1080p an episode of anime won't even exceed 1Gb per episode. So at 1.5Gb per episode (at the most) you can fit about 15/16 episodes on a single layered disc. Even if I am off by a bit I doubt that one episode takes up around 4Gb.

Not quite twice but a lot more than 6.
indrik

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote
marek1712 wrote:
Could someone enlighten me about those issues with Macross in the US? I kinda feel out of place when I read this Wink

It's basically a big fight among the three studios involved in the original production (Studio Nue, Big West, and Harmony Gold from the US side, in making Super Dimension Fortress Macross) about the name "Macross" and the merchandizing rights:

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2003-01-21

Basically, for the US market, I'm pretty sure we're down to Harmony Gold claiming exclusive rights to the name "Macross" in the US, since Studi Nue and Big West have had their legal issues settled and are back to making stuff.

Macross fans are pretty lucky that Manga managed to slip Macross Plus into the US. I think that if they had lost the legal fight with Harmony Gold, nobody would have taken a chance on licensing Plus. I think we're going to continue to miss out on 7 and the rest because at this point, they're old, and it's hard to get people to license old anime. (Well, and I guess there are music rights issues with 7, too.) Not to give anybody any MORE ideas, but if somebody put out Macross 7 on three or four blu-rays for a reasonable price with English subs, I'd totally buy it. Of all the anime I haven't seen, DYRL, Macross 7, 0, and Frontier are the ones I've thought really, really hard about bootlegs and fansubs over.

Also about importing those amazingly neat Valkyrie toys. But they're really expensive.
Kvicksilver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
The music legal problems with Macross 7 should still be evident in Macross Frontier as well. Yeah, shame, and so forth. I wonder why the Japanese studio's don't include english texts though. It'd be so easy and take up no room, and on the plus side, you now have the option of selling to thousands of english-speaking customers who will pay your ridiculous Japanese prices. For most R2's, which obviously lack english subs, they might as well not exist as I won't be able to understand the show in any fashion, and it's not worthing dumping time and money and effort into learning Japanese just so I can pay more for less.

English subs would easily solve a lot of problems.
weirdofu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Atlus wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Atlus wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
they could easily fit the whole series on 1-2 blu-ray discs there is no reason for this at all.

They could probably fit the whole season on twice without losing much quality at all. Oh well, supply and demand is a wonderful thing.

This is just not true.

At 1080p, even using AVC compression, once you include lossless 5.1 audio, you could fit 6 hours on a double layered BD (50 GB) and maintain quality. So the max they could really do is 12 or so episodes per disc without losing quality (or 6 on a single layered one) BD's were designed to have approxmately the same capacity as DVDs in terms of length, except that they'd store HD video instead of SD.

However if you are talking about storing SD video on a blu-ray, then yes, you could fit the entire 26 episode season on 1 50 GB blu-ray.

I find this hard to believe. An hour of high fidelity audio can fit on a CD (700mb) so we are looking at around 300mb per episode and even at 1080p an episode of anime won't even exceed 1Gb per episode. So at 1.5Gb per episode (at the most) you can fit about 15/16 episodes on a single layered disc. Even if I am off by a bit I doubt that one episode takes up around 4Gb.

Sure, you can fit 60 - 75min of stereo audio on a CD that is 700MB, but you're talking about standard 16bit stereo audio with a sampling rate of 44.1khz, and that's only 2 channels of information. Try and fit that same amount of audio except in dolby digital on the same CD. Simple dolby digital audio has 6 discrete channels, which is 3 times more information than CD audio, and a slightly higher sampling rate of 48khz. Then you have dolby digital standards that support more channels (up to 8) and the TrueHD standard that has double the sampling rate (96khz) at up to 18Mbit/s and over 14 channels. Clearly, that will set the audio portion at clear over 2GB or more for 60 min. Now, let's not even talk about the video portion.

One of the little rumors I have heard about why R2 DVDs had fewer episodes was because they used a higher bitrate when encoding the videos, which translates to better quality. Based on wikipedia, DVD video can vary in bitrate from 3 - 9.8 Mbit/s. Some simple math shows that if you only consider video, at max bitrate, 60 min of video will take up 4000+MB, which is close to the limit, if not slightly over the limit of a single layer DVD capacity and this is video only. So, I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same for Blu-ray.

As a side reference, if you check the bitrate on a digital anime episode distributed on the web in form or another, most of them don't exceed 2Mbit/s. Most fansub releases have a video bitrate of around 1Mbit/s, while the maximum bitrate supported by H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile is up to 300Mbit/s.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Atlus wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Atlus wrote:
jsc315 wrote:

This is just not true.

You're pretty much right, and I'm 100% sure the only reason they didn't release more episodes is because of money.

Hopefully they'll release a 2 disc "boxset" though...
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Atlus wrote:
even at 1080p an episode of anime won't even exceed 1Gb per episode.
This is just not true. Yes, fansubs released in 1080 (either native or upscaled) pop out between 300mb and 500mb, but that's encoded from broadcast source and macroblocking and colour-banding is always evident. To get a really good transfer (and since you're paying through the nose for it, it'd better be DAMN good) the bitrate needs a massive bump. Few people realise just how much space high-quality video takes up.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Atlus wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Atlus wrote:
jsc315 wrote:

This is just not true.

This is just entirely wrong. Average bitrates on most blu-ray discs are around 30 - 40 Mbit/s with audio included. The standard allows up to 54 Mbit/s. Your 1.5 Gb per episode estimate is about 8 Mbit/s. That it pretty good for DVD. Anything released on Blu-ray at such a low bitrate would probably have "quality" that would only ensure that newcomers to the format would never buy another disc again.

I'm really not sure why people are clamoring for DVD bit-rates on Blu-ray, unless if they really don't give a damn about quality.
marek1712

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:02 am Reply with quote
indrik, Kvicksilver - thanks for the answers. Now I know why all the Macross fans in the US hate HG and Robotech so much Laughing

I'm watching Macross 7 now (well - in not that much legal way; I just couldn't resist) and must say - it's GOOD. Better than Plus (though some people would certainly disagree).
If it's ever going to have English subtitles I'm definitely going to buy it Smile
W-General

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:22 am Reply with quote
marek1712 wrote:
indrik, Kvicksilver - thanks for the answers. Now I know why all the Macross fans in the US hate HG and Robotech so much Laughing

I'm watching Macross 7 now (well - in not that much legal way; I just couldn't resist) and must say - it's GOOD. Better than Plus (though some people would certainly disagree).
If it's ever going to have English subtitles I'm definitely going to buy it Smile

More power to you sir! Major props for saying that you think Macross 7 is good. I wouldn't go as far as to say "it's better than Plus" - they're different kinds of show and I have thoroughly enjoyed both. I wish people would look beyond some of the early repetitiveness and minor absurdities and see how awesome Macross 7 is.

Also I love Basara's music Very Happy
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:20 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Atlus wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Atlus wrote:
jsc315 wrote:

This is just not true.

This is just entirely wrong. Average bitrates on most blu-ray discs are around 30 - 40 Mbit/s with audio included. The standard allows up to 54 Mbit/s. Your 1.5 Gb per episode estimate is about 8 Mbit/s. That it pretty good for DVD. Anything released on Blu-ray at such a low bitrate would probably have "quality" that would only ensure that newcomers to the format would never buy another disc again.

I'm really not sure why people are clamoring for DVD bit-rates on Blu-ray, unless if they really don't give a damn about quality.

To add to this point, there's a basic reason why fansubs, even HD ones, are never bigger than 500 MB or so... that's because that their source are HD digital broadcasts which have a maximum bitrate of 20 Mb/s and are mpeg-2. If you switch to h.264 you can get a similar quality file at 2-4 Mb/s.
But there's no reason to have that restriction on a blu-ray disc, where the encode is coming from a theoretically lossless master tape, and you can take full advantage of the available bitrate for maintaining quality (although to be honest for most anime there's little need to use the maximum 54 Mb/s thats possible).
GoldenAvenger7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quote
And they wonder why fans DL a HD, fansubbed copy of the show...oh, wait, i know why, because we won't see this for about another year at least, and it prolly won't have "ALL THAT VF" on the disc, and probably not both versions of the first episode. We get slided like that all the time...just like whatever happened to Gundam Wing: Odd and Even Numbers?" Or my ZETA MOVIES I-III?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
GoldenAvenger7 wrote:
And they wonder why fans DL a HD, fansubbed copy of the show...oh, wait, i know why, because we won't see this for about another year at least, and it prolly won't have "ALL THAT VF" on the disc, and probably not both versions of the first episode. We get slided like that all the time...just like whatever happened to Gundam Wing: Odd and Even Numbers?" Or my ZETA MOVIES I-III?
Your in the wrong thread, here you go. Plus it isn't a matter of waiting a year for this release. If all I had to wait was a year, I would be overjoyed. It is a matter of never having a release period, due to reasons you are obviously unaware of.
-----------------------

Also, I don't want to sound like a broken record, but can anyone confirm that it has no English subs. I have heard some people throw that around but it was never put as a definitive answer. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
GoldenAvenger7 wrote:
Your in the wrong thread, here you go. Plus it isn't a matter of waiting a year for this release. If all I had to wait was a year, I would be overjoyed. It is a matter of never having a release period, due to reasons you are obviously unaware of.
-----------------------

Also, I don't want to sound like a broken record, but can anyone confirm that it has no English subs. I have heard some people throw that around but it was never put as a definitive answer. Thanks.

I just picked up one fromt the store today, and no there are no english subs.
marek1712

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
W-General wrote:
More power to you sir! Major props for saying that you think Macross 7 is good. I wouldn't go as far as to say "it's better than Plus" - they're different kinds of show and I have thoroughly enjoyed both. I wish people would look beyond some of the early repetitiveness and minor absurdities and see how awesome Macross 7 is.

Also I love Basara's music Very Happy

Yes, it's true that they cannot be compared as Plus is action-oriented and 7 - music-oriented.
Still - there are some things making Plus rather unpleasant experience. Maybe it's my inborn hatred to the OAVs (I like TV series)? Poor character development (two cocks fighting with themselves? o_O)? Strange music (Sharon? LOL; Myung? - I sing better than her)? Lack of large-scale battles? Dunno - really...
Anyway - as much as Mylene > Basara, I can't resist to the "Power to the Dream" Razz
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the first volume has..

Yack Deculture which is a combination of the original Deculture version as well as the new scenes from the tv broadcast as well as the tv broadcast version.

And they replaced DYRL/Aimo as the ending theme with May'n/Sheryl's Diamond Crevasse.

Volumes 2-9 are 3 episodes each.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3