• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Death Note DVD 6

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyesage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
There are more reviewers than just Key and Casey for one thing...

And while no one wants to get spoilered, it is very hard to write a late-volume review without anything about plot being spoilers.

If you really didn't want to be spoiled, then don't read late volume reviews--why would you care anyways?

And for the record, I only really read the manga, and I knew that Rem was female all the way through...
Oronae

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I think the objection is less to there being a couple spoilers in the review as it is to there being a whole plot synopsis. Indeed it would be hard to write a review for this volume without mentioning Light regains his memories, however I can't help but feel that walking us through the entire process by which it happens is a little excessive. Death Note's main appeal is found in all of the insane overcomplicated plans that Light and L come up with to outwit each other. Robbing the viewer of the chance to experience them for the first time without out knowing what's coming, I feel, does them a disservice.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:11 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Do you always laden your reviews down with so many spoilers?

Not always, but it happens often enough where I don't think I'll read her reviews anymore, unless it's for something I've already seen/read. Which was the case here.

I'm not a huge fan of her reviews so far, and not just because of spoilers. A good chunk of one of her reviews (at least judging from the ones I've read so far) tends to come off as one long plot summery, which I suppose is good if you WANT spoilers and foreknowledge about the specific events that happen in the anime/manga that she's reviewing. But it doesn't seem to serve much other purpose.
Kimyo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I watched the whole series. I just had to see spoiler[Light pay for bringing about the deaths of L and Mello! I'm still mad that they had to die, so unfair! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad ] I miss L like hell, but I've got love for Near and Mello, too. It was like L was divided in two-- Near got L's general appearance and genius-ness, and Mello got L's love of sweets and his genius-ness. The three of them are so cute! I wish I could've seen them interact, at least in a flashback.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2