• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bulma's Emmy Rossum Discusses Live-Action Dragonball

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:
I dunno which is worse, the fact that this movie will suck, or the fact that there's people here who think they need to inform people that it will suck. If a baseball bat is aimed at my face, I don't need to be told it will hurt if it I let it hit me.

Here I can agree. Especially when we get to hear about it every other day. And you can count on the neo-haters to just go OMGWTF THIS WILL SUCK BLAH BLAH ARMAGEDDON!!!!!!!! every time the site makes a new article about the movie or any movie based on an anime that they think will suck. As is the case with Transformers where they were all hating on it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:35 am Reply with quote
The idea that Chris Sabat is involved actually helps my opinion of this movie out a bit, but he only gets to be Shenron. The real bummer of finding out he is involved is that he was the voice of Piccolo but Piccolo will sound very different. I'm not saying that Sabat should be Piccolo since I have no idea what is on screen talents would be like, but it's just going to be a bit awkward for me.
ankoku22

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
And the hatred begins again... as expected. I wonder if people will ever get tired of complaining about this movie.

I can't wait for the first images of Shenlong the dragon to leak out (if they haven't already). It'll be fun to read through all the predictable complaints about how horrible the CGI looks or how Kermit the Frog would have been a better dragon.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:54 am Reply with quote
For the sake of argument, I'd say that while it's pointless to slam the movie, it's also pointless to comment about said slamming. People are still going to do it, so there's no reason to waste the effort, and such posts are quickly becoming just as prevalent.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:33 am Reply with quote
ankoku22 wrote:
And the hatred begins again... as expected. I wonder if people will ever get tired of complaining about this movie.

I can't wait for the first images of Shenlong the dragon to leak out (if they haven't already). It'll be fun to read through all the predictable complaints about how horrible the CGI looks or how Kermit the Frog would have been a better dragon.

People will get tired the Tuesday after it comes out ... Monday will be too full of pundits saying "everybody knew in advance this movie would bomb" and how Fox could've saved money by investing in mortgage banks.

It is amazing how (bordering on) every actor and actress ever hired for a film is such a huge fan of the original work the story is based on. I credit the excellent folks in the casting bureaus for finding such dedicated talent.

Besides, any hyper-purist knows Kermit wouldn't be a better dragon ... not since Jim Henson died and the voice changed anyway.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:09 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't it be hilarious if it turned out to be a blockbuster hit? Laughing

I don't see what everyone's problem with this movie is. If it sucks, it'll suck, and I'll laugh at it for a couple of hours then go home and watch the real Dragonball on DVD. If it doesn't suck, hey, i just watched a good live-action remake of one of my favorite anime. The worst that could happen with this movie is that it would be mediocre and boring, which from the photos released and from what Rossum is saying, 'boring' doesn't quite seem to be the case.

Either way, I'll still be out in line (or no line) for it opening day. Is there anyone that feels sort of the same as me on this?

Also, I kinda like Piccolo's new look. And where did it say that Goku was going to be a student?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote
I don't think this movie is actually looking that bad. It has some minor problems, but nothing that can't really be avoided anyway...

I mean, I've seen bad movies being made, and this is miles ahead.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Marsters might be aware of the genre, since his buddy Whedon made him rip off Sailor Moon and Devil Hunter Yohko for "inspiration" for Buffy.

Uh, you could make the unsubstantiated claim that Devil Hunter Yohko (1990) influenced Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992)--except you have to credit Whedon for knowing Japanese since ADV Films hadn't release its translation yet.

But, the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the Sailor Moon manga were both released in 1992. So you're saying that Whedon knew fluent Japanese and could bend time and space. If either were true, that's bigger news than what you're trying to claim. Wink

Quote:
The vapid Asian actresses[TM?] were probably too busy cheerleading, cheating on tests, and/or ditching school to watch anything in the afternoon.

Stereotype much?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
rizu:
Quote:
Wouldn't it be hilarious if it turned out to be a blockbuster hit? Laughing

No, it'd be an atrocity not since seen since Transformers.

Quote:
I don't see what everyone's problem with this movie is. If it sucks, it'll suck, and I'll laugh at it for a couple of hours then go home and watch the real Dragonball on DVD.

If it sucks, then anime ends up being the equivalent of Scientology after Battlefield Earth.

testor:
Quote:
Uh, you could make the unsubstantiated claim that Devil Hunter Yohko (1990) influenced Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992)--except you have to credit Whedon for knowing Japanese since ADV Films hadn't release its translation yet.

You seem to forget that ADV's been around since '92, and that Yohko was one of their first releases.

Quote:
Stereotype much?

No, but Hollywood did, by picking them.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

testor:
Quote:

You seem to forget that ADV's been around since '92, and that Yohko was one of their first releases.

A.D. Visions released Devil Hunter Yohko in December of 1992. The original Buffy the Vampire Slayer was released in July of 1992. Again, you're saying Whedon can bend time and space. Wink

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.anime/browse_thread/thread/24c4eb12632290bd/113b75ac99642d1a

Quote:
Quote:
Stereotype much?

No, but Hollywood did, by picking them.

This nebulous "Hollywood" chose Eriko Tamura for a role, but please find where "Hollywood" called Eriko Tamura a "vapid Asian actress" and stereotyped her as "probably too busy cheerleading, cheating on tests, and/or ditching school." One person did, and it isn't "Hollywood."
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
A.D. Visions released Devil Hunter Yohko in December of 1992. The original Buffy the Vampire Slayer was released in July of 1992. Again, you're saying Whedon can bend time and space.

You're basing the release date on when info was posted for it online, and not when it was actually sold/rented in stores. But assuming you're correct, it's possible he could have visited their place, back when they were in the import business. Hell, he could have even caught an early fan screening of it, since those were not uncommon at the time, especially since they usually played at sci-fi cons he'd probably frequent.

Quote:
This nebulous "Hollywood" chose Eriko Tamura for a role, but please find where "Hollywood" called Eriko Tamura a "vapid Asian actress" and stereotyped her as "probably too busy cheerleading, cheating on tests, and/or ditching school."

Well, they certainly didn't hire her because they thought she was a fan of the show, or because they thought she'd appeal to fans of the show. Rolling Eyes As for her academic credentials, well, see for yourself. Wink Jamie Chung's a real genius, too. Razz
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:00 pm Reply with quote
You're done here GATSU, and this isn't up for debate. The thread isn't in place for you to turn it in to yet another soapbox for you to stand on and let loose line after tired line of your typical anti-US industry drivel and closed-minded rhetoric. It's especially not the place for you to practically insult people who liked the US Speed Racer adaptation, especially when it is irrelevant to the article being discussed.

We're not interested in people trolling threads and derailing them to the point the initial discussion is lost. Especially when these people are trolling the thread to spit venomous comments that are based on that persons nearly insane level of bias in regards to the different markets and genres being discussed. Not to mention that if you have nothing beneficial to the discussion to bring up, then you have no reason to post. Just telling someone that their opinion of a movie is wrong adds nothing, because it's their opinion, not yours. Telling people Transformers is an atrocity, and DBZ being a success also adds nothing more than trolling, and that is not going to be tolerated. If you are only going to spit out troll worthy comments and support none of your comments with anything more than placing your opinions on a pedastel, then you have no purpose in this thread.

Making unsubstantiated claims about people ripping off anime for ideas is particularly unwarranted and unacceptable. We all know you hate the US industry, and that any minor similarity is immediate cause for you to whine about how they steal from anime, even if it's something as stupid as a main character having blue eyes. It's ludicrous, unsubstantiated, completely off topic, and blatant trolling. It's also not going to be tolerated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn: I didn't say anyone's opinion of Speed Racer was "wrong", but someone told me I was "wrong" to dislike Speed Racer. All I suggested was that there was not much to like about it. And for the record, more people agree with me on DB and Hollywood than you.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
That's fine, but implying why he would like it based on your opinion of it is out of line. Maybe you find the colors gaudy, or the dialog endless, but that's your opinion and nothing more.

As for DBZ; I could care less if others agree with you or don't, but I would say based on responses to all this garbage you spit in the past, most don't agree with you on "Hollywood", though maybe on DB. Even if some did agree with you and not me, that is irrelevant, and is particularly irrelevant to the specific article this thread is discussing. This isn't about who agrees with your slanted views or not, this is about you turning another thread in to your soapbox to spit out your extremist anti-US industry attacks and trolling with unsubstantiated claims you fail to back up with anything more than that same slanted point of view. This isn't about Speed Racer, or Buffy, or your latest crazy theory about how some recent Hollywood movies hero being right-handed is an obvious rip-off of an anime titles right handed hero or whatever irrelevant trolling comment you decided to make. This is about the DBZ movie and the article the thread is linked to, so that is what you'll discuss. There's room for flexibility, of course, but as usual, you're taking it too far and using it as an excuse to unleash more of your anti-Hollywood propaganda and extremist, unsupported views.

Now as I said, this isn't open for debate. You know the private channels to take it up with if you disagree with the action, but as far as this thread is concerned, we're returning to its regularly scheduled program.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:08 am Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
Anyone who claims that Dragonball doesn't need to be adapted with realism taken into account hasn't seen enough of the nonsense that results when someone tries to make a live-action cartoon.

The fact that DB could be very unrealistic is the whole reason changes need to be made.

I dunno, upon looking back, there is alot of things that can either be fairly recreated, or use George Lucas' favorite weapon, CGI.

* Goku's Spikey Hair - The actor playing Goku has no volume whatsoever. The least they could've done is make it seem like it's ridiculous spikey with a wig or something (Oh wait, I forgot, the "actor' claims his hair is already spikey or some BS like that....). It is an "alternative universe" where people hurl spirit bombs and some alien called "Piccolo" exists....so why not hair that would make hairdressers faint in disbelief?

* Bulma's Blue Hair - Hey, if ravers and goths can rock colored hair, then that's no excuse why Bulma can't have blue hair.

* Capsule Corporation - You can't tell me that such technology doesn't exist in some form or another in the real world. So why not include it?

* Master Roshi - Well since Pat Morita is taking a dirt nap, and Jackie Chan apparently is too busy doing Rush Hour 15 or Shanghai Noon 7, who else can we hire that is Asian and does alot of martial arts....and is slightly old.....hmmm....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7