• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Confirms Shikabane Hime: AKA Acquisition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiamats Reviews

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
First they say "I want to see it for free!"

Then it's "I want to see if for free in HD!"

Next it will be "I want to be paid to watch it for free in HD!" Rolling Eyes

On the other side of things, the side that pays for anime, I'm pretty darn okay with all of this. This announcement expands things from just Funimation's YouTube channel and seems to mark it as a proper license. (So DVDs are now expected.) Very good indeed.

Amazingly, I'm not all that vexed by the possibility that it might not be in HD. SD didn't suddenly start looking horrible just because HD came about.

Both Joost and Hulu are US only, especially on the anime side. Only a few anime series are available on Joost outside of the US. Will be interesting to see if they release it fully.

As for buying it, many of us want to. That's the point. US only release on the net is pathetic and isn't a way of beating fansubs. sure the US side of things may buy it, but those in europe will still use fansubs, which kind of defeats the point.

If you're going to release do it properly, not half hearted
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
This is one big step towards automatic worldwide viewership for great anime titles. I applaud this move.

Now if they could've just done this with "Soul Eater."
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Yippee!!! It's on hulu. Thanks FUNi.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Bah, this means the only good fansub group following the show will drop it. Now I have to wait for DVDs -- such a terrible fate Very Happy
Vulcannis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
First they say "I want to see it for free!"

Then it's "I want to see if for free in HD!"

Next it will be "I want to be paid to watch it for free in HD!" Rolling Eyes

Oh please. Not everyone wants the same thing. Lot's of people are content with streaming, youtube quality. That is after all why fansubs are getting uploaded to youtube all the time. Them, and people who don't care about DRM or video quality (and live in the US!), should be satisfied by this. They just have to work on getting it a bit closer to release date and they should have a lock. I really hope this works out for Funi.

Others, such as me, are not interested in this format. I want to own something, even if it's just bits. I want high-quality, because youtube looks like crap on my 46" HD TV. And I don't want DRM, since, you know, I want to OWN something. What's wrong with lamenting that we won't get our wants satisfied anytime soon? It's not like I'm expecting it, as it's both technically and politically more difficult, but how does a little whining in any way lead to your conclusion?
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Sweet deal. I've heard lots of good things about this show, and since it's Gainax, it shouldn't disappoint.

Funimation just keeps making me a bigger and bigger fan of them. Smile

Last edited by LordPrometheus on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Vulcannis wrote:

Others, such as me, are not interested in this format. I want to own something, even if it's just bits. I want high-quality, because youtube looks like crap on my 46" HD TV. And I don't want DRM, since, you know, I want to OWN something. What's wrong with lamenting that we won't get our wants satisfied anytime soon? It's not like I'm expecting it, as it's both technically and politically more difficult, but how does a little whining in any way lead to your conclusion?

And that's what the DVD's are for.
Vulcannis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
And that's what the DVD's are for.

You mean, DVD's are the closest product which I can buy. They are not the same, however. What I want is a high video quality, DRM free, sub only video file released as soon as possible to the Japanese TV showing, from the full catalog of shows produced. Fansubs come closest to fulfilling this, so until the industry can meet such a need I will continue downloading them.

I will also continue buying the DVD's, since they are the next best thing and I wish to support the industry. But I would much rather pay money (and more of it) for the product I want and which has been proven to be possible (from a technical standpoint.) No one knows if this would be financially viable, but speaking for myself the industry would make more money off of me if they could do this.
Myaow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
But oh em gee, three weeks for a legal license is too SLOW and if I can watch it for free online then it's too LOW QUALITY!

Oh internet, you so crazy.

I've got it; how about if you watch the free, legal, hot-off-the-press totally fresh new releases, then Funimation gives you thirty bucks and a pony, hmm? Does that sound a little better?
Sakurachan1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, too bad it's a title I have no long term interest in. I saw episode 1, and just wasn't drawn in, but the horror genre has always been hit or miss with me. The show itself does look like it has the potential to be a fan fav, so for me this is a step forward in the right direction. Now that there will be legal offerings I will probably check out another episode just to put my effort where my mouth has been for so long.

I've been screaming about making shows available on-line for fans while they are on air in Japan for a LONG time - sure some of the 1st attempts have been mis-steps , but let's hope the lessons have been learned and something good comes out of it for the fans.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, well, it certainly is good news, though, unfortunately, my only option is the DVD rout. For some reason my computer just refuses to play full screen streaming video, it causes my browser to crash. I like tangible things, too, so I'm just going to have to drop the show and wait for the DVDs. Since it's FUNi they'll more than likely be dubbed so It'll probably be a while before those get released. Oh well, a license is a license, I'll wait.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Sakurachan1 wrote:
Interesting, too bad it's a title I have no long term interest in. I saw episode 1, and just wasn't drawn in, but the horror genre has always been hit or miss with me.

Hang on and watch episode 2. You get a better sense of what the show is about in episode 2. The pacing is much better and you get a better feeling for who the charaters are. (If fact, I base my interest in a show more towards eps 2-4 instead of ep 1.)

Watch for the impalement in episode 2. My back was hurting after I saw that.

Lance,

Your Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Guy
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Um... Funimation? Yeah, can I make a recommendation?

Stop doing direct from download site DRM's and do the smart thing and just put it on iTunes to save most of us the annoyance of searching elsewhere.

Until then, I'm just gonna watch the weekly streams in the meantime.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:18 am Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:
Son-of-a-bitch. This means the fansub group I was following for this will drop it. Goddammit! I've seen two episodes of this and I've no idea if it will be epic or just bland. I won't buy it just because it's Gainax, but I checked it out just because it's Gainax.

That's FUNi for ya--leading the way to replace illegal fansubs and DVD rips.

This makes me ask: Why has the anime industry been so goddamn slow to respond to fansubs and rips? They should NOT just put up with rips and fansubs; they must make them moot. Why haven't the Japanese and American sides of the industry done anything of this sort sooner like they should have?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rinjichan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
Definitely a step in the right direction, unfortunately the art and writing for this show really turned me off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5