• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Vampire Hunter D Novel 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ido

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Btw the book that inspired the movie Bloodlust is the third volume.

As for how the books are, I'm pretty impressed, I mean I'm not a book reader and it got me hooked, I think I'm the sixth book, whenever I'll get into reading again I'll have read every other books there are. It's really fun to read! It's really not boring or extensive with its description and it's easy to follow.

I'd have to agree too with the C+ rating for the art and the reasons given for them, for example in one of the books, there this ancient really unique tankguard that was supposed to be drawn, but the extensive amount of shading made it hard to see the actual unit, although with the description it was easy to figure out how it looked Anime smile

Well for any of you interested in that book, go ahead it's really worth it Anime smile

[Edit] The story is really worth at least a B+ if not more Anime smile
bluepenguin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:51 am Reply with quote
Dardre wrote:

What I didn't like is Kikuchi's 'fixation' on how unearthly beautiful D is; it actually gets worse in future novels. It seems that he can't go without mentioning it almost every time he refers to D. Add in a somewhat chauvinistic attitude toward women (and in later novels this borders on misogyny) and it can make for some uncomfortable reading (though in his defense, this series is set-up as having a medieval mind-set and attitude). Take Doris for example, she's introduced as strong and independent but by the end of the story spoiler[she's reduced to a weak and dependent girl who'll have to rely on a man (in this case her brother) in order to survive; never mind that she's been taking care of her farm for years and raising said brother by herself. This happens to just about every woman that appears as a major character (when she's not being kidnapped or raped anyway).] That's the main reason I stopped reading the novels after the fourth one.

Yeah, the thing where everyone seems to want to rape the heroine and the way that about every other page went "The beautiful vampire hunter beautifully got off of his horse and went into the bar, where everyone stared him, astonished by his beauty" (plus the general clunkiness of the writing style, which I wasn't sure whether to blame on Kikuchi or the translator) are the reasons why I didn't make it past volume 2. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was bothered by it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2