• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AIC Agrees to Live-Action Bubblegum Crisis Proposal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:22 am Reply with quote
First Dragon Ball, Astro Boy, Voltron, Oldboy and now Bubblegum Crisis, I wonder what anime Hollywood isn't adapting?

Hopefully Bleach or One Piece isn't next, considering Dragonball unfortunely is about to be embarassed by the live action movie.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:39 am Reply with quote
Do they have a Hollywood in Singapore? A live action Girls Brovo. Now that would get the lads juices flowing. Razz
Avacado Burger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:04 am Reply with quote
I'd rather wish they didn't do anything, but I'm having my fingers crossed that it doesn't suck. It's the figurative "dig-up-the-bones-turn-it-upside-down-and-piss-on-it" to me, if you will. I even ran a few sessions of the BGC tabletop game, we loved it that much.

Mohawk52 wrote:
A live action Girls Brovo. Now that would get the lads juices flowing. Razz

That got a good chuckle out of me. Yeah Girls Bravo sucked, but I'd be all aboard for the boobs, man!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
OH MY GAWD!!!! Shocked

Sometimes I think that I have to power to make things happen. I say this because I was just thinking about 'BGC' this past weekend. I was saying to myself, that one day 'BGC' will be revisited somewhere in the distant future. So far that's what been happening now when old shows are now being tapped for a revival (ie. - Casshern, Birdy, etc...). I did not expect (what I was thinking) to actually happen, this soon.

While a live-action one seems good, don't know how I would feel about a new animated one. I loved the original as it was one of a kind. But sometimes you have to move forward and see what a "revival" has to offer.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:52 am Reply with quote
Just saying they have agreed to an LA version doesn't automatically mean it's in production. I mean how many reports of LA adaptations have we read about , and how many have been actually released? If anything is interesting about this report is AIC saying that they are "revisiting" BGC again. Now if they could see it in them to revisit Megazone 23, and El Hazard that would get their engine out of the shed and back on the main line again. But if by "revisit" they mean something on par like Sasami Magic Girls Club, AIC will still be pants.
analogk37

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:02 am Reply with quote
Okay, after getting over the initial shock I can say that I'm certainly curious. However, who the heck is Cubix and are they financing a 'live action' movie or looking for financing from someone else? Zodiac is not anime, but it is CG. In fact, Zodiac is more like Kung Fu Panda than anything else. I'm also wondering what sort of release they have in mind for the US and elsewhere. Probably too early to guess at that although I can't imagine it being a very wide release in any event, assuming it doesn't go straight to DVD (or Blu-ray by then).

But Cubix? They don't even have a website up right now that I can find. Just this one that says "under construction"... Anime dazed

http://www.cubix.ws/
analogk37

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Just saying they have agreed to an LA version doesn't automatically mean it's in production. I mean how many reports of LA adaptations have we read about , and how many have been actually released? If anything is interesting about this report is AIC saying that they are "revisiting" BGC again. Now if they could see it in them to revisit Megazone 23, and El Hazard that would get their engine out of the shed and back on the main line again. But if by "revisit" they mean something on par like Sasami Magic Girls Club, AIC will still be pants.

Funny thing was that AIC *did* announce plans to revist Megazone 23 about a year or so ago, about the same time that the Garland figure was coming out from Yamato. Could be that the BGC figures did better on sales so AIC decided to go in that direction instead? Rolling Eyes
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
A live-action BGC has already been done: It's called Blade Runner. Rolling Eyes

Blade Runner (Do Android Dream of Electronic Sheep) is the original story that Bubblegum Crisis is based off of. NOT the other way around.
kevin_video

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
JaxsonJaguar wrote:
For some reason I think only America or Korea could do the project any justice.

Yeah, but they did such a bang up job with Guyver, Speed Racer, and Dragon Ball. Rolling Eyes
kevin_video

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
GATSU wrote:
A live-action BGC has already been done: It's called Blade Runner. Rolling Eyes

Blade Runner (Do Android Dream of Electronic Sheep) is the original story that Bubblegum Crisis is based off of. NOT the other way around.

You missed the joke. They already admitted to that on the first page.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
analogk37 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Funny thing was that AIC *did* announce plans to revist Megazone 23 about a year or so ago, about the same time that the Garland figure was coming out from Yamato. Could be that the BGC figures did better on sales so AIC decided to go in that direction instead? Rolling Eyes
Are you suggesting that they would shelve a project just on the bases of how many dolls, made by somebody else, were sold?
analogk37

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
analogk37 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Are you suggesting that they would shelve a project just on the bases of how many dolls, made by somebody else, were sold?

Guess I was, but I have no idea how those companies decide which projects to go forward with or not.

In other BGC movie related findings, apparently there is a webpage that has it listed as an 'upcoming release'. Go here:

http://www.theaxxis.com/

and then look under Axxis Lineup --> Upcoming releases.

Another note I dug up was that the movie's likely been in production for quite a few months based on a comment made by the Axxis CEO at Cannes this past May:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/entertainment/view/348104/1/.html

"Axxis also announced on Wednesday it has several projects in production including four live-action/computer-generated feature films valued at over $135 million."

So apparently this agreement didn't just happen overnight, and apparently Singapore is betting big bucks that it'll work.

Now I'm *really* intrigued. Shocked

Edit: If you look under "press releases" on the Axxis website, and find the one they put out May 20th at Cannes, you'll see that they *did* announce the BGC movie at that time. So this news really is six months old... just no one outside of Axxis or the few people who may have read their press release knew it. Laughing
dreamweaver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
analogk37 wrote:
Okay, after getting over the initial shock I can say that I'm certainly curious. However, who the heck is Cubix and are they financing a 'live action' movie or looking for financing from someone else? Zodiac is not anime, but it is CG. In fact, Zodiac is more like Kung Fu Panda than anything else. I'm also wondering what sort of release they have in mind for the US and elsewhere. Probably too early to guess at that although I can't imagine it being a very wide release in any event, assuming it doesn't go straight to DVD (or Blu-ray by then).

But Cubix? They don't even have a website up right now that I can find. Just this one that says "under construction"... Anime dazed

http://www.cubix.ws/

I'm going to be straight to the point here. Zodiac was complete garbage. The movie ran over budget and took too long to produce. Far as I could tell, they even tried to save money by using the paper-cutout-on-a-stick style that Mini-Pato used for 50% of the movie.

Kungfu Panda is 1000x better than that abymal lump of turd and holy shit are we in big trouble if Cubix is the company that's producing Bubblegum Crisis.

Cubix is linked with the Singapore government's Media Development Authority, and it's no secret that the govt loves to manage these affiliated companies big brother style.

So... as far as I'm concerned, T'is a dark day indeed for the Knight Sabers.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
dreamweaver wrote:
Cubix is linked with the Singapore government's Media Development Authority, and it's no secret that the govt loves to manage these affiliated companies big brother style.

So... as far as I'm concerned, T'is a dark day indeed for the Knight Sabers.

LMAO, considering the subject matter of Bubblegum Crisis, that's hugely hilarious/depressing.

I'm one of those people who have thought that Bubblegum Crisis could actually work well as a live action film if handled by the right people, and considering the success of movies like Transfomers and Iron Man lately, it does seem entirely possible that this project could go somewhere. Still, aside from the encouraging statement that they intend to talk to Aramaki and Sonoda about it, it doesn't look like either of these studios have terribly impressive resumes , so I'll remain comfortably skeptical until we hear more.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
kevin_video wrote:
I love Bubblegum Crisis, and it's one of the very first anime I ever watched, but a live-action? *shudders* I don't know. I guess it depends on how Dragon Ball does next year. I have yet to see anything anime turned live-action go well. But this one, I'd really like it to do well. I'm wondering how they'd do Priss though. Would the actress really sing, or would they get a stand-in?

I take it then you've seen Hurricane Live? Laughing

JaxsonJaguar wrote:
I would much rather perfer an animated BGC 2041 instead. But you know the funny thing is I don't like the idea of a company in Singapore doing it. For some reason I think only America or Korea could do the project any justice.

Heh, from all the quotes about other anime/manga-based American-produced projects, you should think America can't do anything right. Laughing

Probably the only thing saving this from more such quotes is that they haven't seen the original Bubblegum Crisis yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3