• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saint Seiya Returns in New Omega TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hullut Sisarukset

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
"Mars"? It's supposed to be Ares, right? Mars being the Roman name for Ares, the Greek god of war... Last time I checked, Seiya was all about Greek mythology :'D

I don't quite know how to feel about this. I'm really, really surprised they'd make an original anime in the Seiya universe with new characters. I don't know, maybe I'll check it out just to see how they're making it - if they go for the original Seiya spirit, it could be a fun ride. But how can you achieve Seiya spirit without the original characters and storyline? How can you achieve it without the 80's?! We'll see...

I wonder if it's a mistake, or are the Leo, Aquila and Orion Cloths really Bronze Cloths in this version? That's... weird. At least with the Leo. Wasn't it the point that the twelve zodiac signs be the twelve Gold Cloths. Oh gee...

PS: Furuya Tooru and the old cast will always be the only real Bronze Saints for me <3
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Hullut Sisarukset wrote:
"Mars"? It's supposed to be Ares, right? Mars being the Roman name for Ares, the Greek god of war... Last time I checked, Seiya was all about Greek mythology :'D

Saint Seiya famously mixes and matches its mythological sources and languages. For example, it uses the Latin "Pegasus" pronunciation instead of the Greek "Pegasos" pronunciation. Of course, even the word "Saint" comes from Latin, not Greek. (The Latin pronunciation for "Mars" is used in the new anime's description.)

Quote:
I wonder if it's a mistake, or are the Leo, Aquila and Orion Cloths really Bronze Cloths in this version? That's... weird. At least with the Leo. Wasn't it the point that the twelve zodiac signs be the twelve Gold Cloths. Oh gee...

All of the new Saints are specifically described as "Bronze Saints."
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I can see Latin America going gaga over this! Very Happy

Maybe this will be an excuse for SOMEONE to license rescue Saint Seiya, finish it's English dub, license the Hades arc, and hopefully license this new series. ADV dubbed 60 episodes, so they were about halfway there (let's all try and forget about "Knights of the Zodiac"). It'll be weird to have an anime series called Saint Seiya not star Seiya, and not be from the manga, but meh. Good enough for me. I'm glad the franchise is having a decent revival.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I would have preferred a follows up to Lost Canvas but I'll still check this one out.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:04 am Reply with quote
I really would prefer that they do more Lost Canvas as well. So far no news. spoiler[The end of the second season left everything unresolved. I felt like I got trolled.]
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote
I am swooning over these woogly little Yoshihiko Umakoshi people! I've never gotten into Saint Seiya, but now I really want to start.
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote
If Saori is there I hope Seiya will be there as well ( as a gold saint perhaps ^^ ) I don't think Saori is immortal... so only some times must have passed. I think the Next Dimension manga is the continuation of the series and it doesn't seem to be over yet, so I suppose this anime won't really be "canon" ?

Anyway Saint Seiya without Seiya anymore : that is not really Saint Seiya ...
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Seiya0890 wrote:

People in the Chinese fandom are saying the same thing. Some said the show should be called Saint Koga instead. :p
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:04 am Reply with quote
mangaka-chan wrote:
Seiya0890 wrote:

People in the Chinese fandom are saying the same thing. Some said the show should be called Saint Koga instead. :p

Lol it won't be recognised anymore Laughing and it doesn't sound good Laughing
theblackpaladin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:53 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Maybe this will be an excuse for SOMEONE to license rescue Saint Seiya, finish it's English dub, license the Hades arc, and hopefully license this new series.

Oh man, how I would love for that to happen...but it won't. There are a couple reasons:

1) It's a long series. Because of the state of the anime industry nowadays, anime dubbing companies are very hesitant to pick up a long series unless it has a guarantee of making a profit. That's why FUNimation dropped "Case Closed"...it was long, and wasn't turning a profit. Licensing movies is another deal, but a long series is almost out of the question. One of the few reasons "Dragon Ball Z Kai" got licensed was because it was based on "Dragon Ball Z," one of the few things anime-related that still manages to make a profit on a semi-regular basis in North America.

2) Since it is a long series, in order to be successful, it will have to have a TV run...and it won't, because it already failed when it aired on Cartoon Network. Yes, I know that that wasn't the ADV dub, but rather DiC's horrendous "Knights of the Zodiac" dub, but that won't matter to any TV network. TV networks are run by TV execs, not anime fans, so they could care less about the differences in dubs. To them, a show is a show. They won't see it as, "Well maybe it'll do better with a re-dub." They'll see it as, "Eh, failed once, no need to fail again."

3) The show was made in the late 80's, and it shows in its animation. It looks too outdated for most kids nowadays. I wouldn't mind it, but the average TV-watching kid--an audience that the TV networks and dubbing companies would need--would mind it. North America really missed the boat with "Saint Seiya." And that sucks, because almost every other country got their dub relatively early on. France was the first to get a dub, in 1988, and other dubs followed within 2-6 year time periods. How North America didn't get a mega-hit like "Saint Seiya" until 2003 is something that is TOTALLY beyond me.

The third reason in particular sucks most of all. That's because while the original show's animation is outdated, it would later lead to some great continuations and spin-offs with some absolutely beautiful animation even by today's standards. The Hades OVAs look very good, but no licensing or dubbing company is going to pick up the rights to it because it is a continuation of another series that they are not going to pick up the rights to. Similar deal with "Lost Canvas."

Oh well. I just hope Crunchyroll will license it so I can at least watch a subbed release a la "Lost Canvas." Still, every time I think about "Saint Seiya," I think about one of the biggest dropped balls in the history of the North American anime industry. If the ADV dub had gotten on TV (with only some slight censoring to fit the rules and regulations of daytime TV), I think ADV would have had a solid show to compete against FUNimation's "Dragon Ball Z." ADV essentially had their own DBZ and were never able to make full use of it because of DiC grabbing the TV rights for their horrid dub. Who knows, maybe ADV would still be in business.

Man...imagine what could have been. A full, uncut English release of Saint Seiya, then the Hades OVAs, and "The Lost Canvas"--all dubbed in English. I can't believe how lucky Mexico and Spain are that they got Spanish dubs of everything "Saint Seiya"-related.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm still not going to give up hope (however slim and small it may be) that we'll someday receive a decent North American release of Saint Seiya. I have the first 60 episodes sitting on my shelf at home. They keep teasing us with enough little things to not allow me to kill my hope - the US releases of the Myth Cloth figurine line, Lost Canvas on Crunchyroll, the new game (even if it is only set for European release right now), and now the revival with the new CG movie and Omega. Saint Seiya certainly isn't *dead*, that's for sure. Even if we only get the original series available in say, limited-edition subtitle-only release, or even just *streamed* with an accurate translation, I'll be happy.

As for the new series itself, I'm totally giving it a shot. I'm definitely interested in seeing what kind of cameos might appear - they're rather vague on the timeline for how far after the original series this is taking place.
Lero

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I really would prefer that they do more Lost Canvas as well. So far no news. spoiler[The end of the second season left everything unresolved. I felt like I got trolled.]

Lost Canvas: Studio TMS
Saint Seiya original and Omega: Toei Animation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2