• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GDH Animates G.I. Joe

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pilgrim of Life

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:05 am Reply with quote
Wow! I'm a bit surprised to see so many TF fans (more accurately TransFans) here at a topic on G.I.Joe~! (Bytheway, I'm new here, and I'm a huge fan of TF - both U.S. and Japan.)

Regarding the ongoing 'friendly discussion' Very Happy of whether TF should be called a cartoon (i.e. U.S.) or an anime (i.e. Japan) - my humble opinion is that there will not be right answer. I think it can be called both depending on which exact 'season'/series you're refering to. TF is special in this very sense because it crosses boundaries of the two countries.

---

Beatdigga said:
Quote:
There were several decent Japanese Transformers shows back in the 80's. It's argued that their Season 4 "The Headmasters" is far superior to our Season 4 "Rebirth."

It is true. There are these series (after the American ones), which are solely produced by Japan and are considered 100% anime:
TransFormers Masterforce (1988-89)
TransFormers Victory (1989)
TransFormers Z a.k.a. TransFormers Zone OVA (this one I haven't watch!)

And prior to TF Masterforce was TransFormers: The Headmasters (1987-88) - which is 'sort of' a continuation of the American one.

Then, Masterforce, Victory, and Zone all came up with new parallel storylines (and some pure Japanese Autobot and Decepticon characters). Victory is sort of a sequel to Masterforce since there was one returning Autobot from Masterforce (i.e. Powermaster Optimus Prime - in anime, he is known as God Jinrai...but there actually exists disputes as to whether the two are truly identical character).

Well, I love the American TF series, but of _all_ the TF series that I've seen, my favourite is still Masterforce (you have to watch till the very end). Then, followed closely by Victory.

The current TF Energon (in Japan, it's known as TF SuperLink), well, it's not bad, but to be truthful, I think it falls quite far below the par of Masterforce...hmm...maybe hopefully TF Cybertron will fare much better?!

---

[EDIT - No torrents. -C]
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I love GI Joe, but I'm sure I'll be dissapointed by this. I remember watching the CG movie they played on CN a few months ago, and it was totaly weak. The voices didn't even sound similar - Beachhead wasn't a surfer dude, he was a southerner. Now, if they kept the original look, but updated the style, and got the original voices, I'd be all over it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2