• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madhouse Studio Animates Short Based on Schulz's Peanuts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman:
Quote:
I didn't think American comic strips were that popular in Japan.

They're probably fans of the cartoons. Although I think I did see a Japanese edition of Bloom County on Amazon...
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
Snoopy is actually very popular in Japan so this shouldn't be too much of a surprise! Does anybody remember that catchy Hot Pepper commercial from a few years back?

Anyway, I really want to see this! Peanuts is the best.

Hahahaha! I wasn't aware of that commercial, Myaow. Thanks! It's so weird and cute at the same time; much like many things that come out of Japan.

I'm rather optimistically curious about this. With a little luck and the right director, perhaps these shorts can be brought over here as well. I still love re-reading the Peanuts comics in every Sunday newspaper. I was only around 12 when Mr. Schultz passed away, yet I remember hearing the news quite well. I'm so glad so many people still love his work.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
charlie brown going japanese yea now let see in anime form?
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Is....is Madhouse trolling us? Seriously, what is this? Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
Garfield as a Maneki Neko (Beckoning Cat)?

As a Garfield fan growing up, I wouldn't be complaining. Laughing

I've been a fan of Peanuts since I was young (I'm 26 now), so I'm not quite sure what to think about this, other than mixed feelings. I do hope this will turn out good, at any rate!

Also: that commercial is an earworm if I ever heard one!
GhostShell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I love Peanuts! Very Happy Was always a fan of Schulz's comic strips and especially the Melendez holiday specials. It would be interesting to see the Madhouse short to see if it captures the soul of the original.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:13 am Reply with quote
Will they be using real children to make the voices authentic too? Laughing
(If so, hopefully no pantyshots.)

And how are they gonna explain Charlie Brown kicking (and missing) the football?

TopGunman wrote:
I didn't think American comic strips were that popular in Japan.

It's not the strip; it's the characters that are kawaii. Laughing

samuelp wrote:
R.G. wrote:
What next? Garfield as a Maneki Neko (Beckoning Cat)?

Sorry, but I can attest that no one in Japan can make a decent lasagna.

And they love Mondays too! Laughing

Surrender Artist wrote:
I would really like to see this. The old Melendez Films specials had a significant part in my childhood and I strongly associate their style with Peanuts, but seeing a very different studio animate it is enticing.

It's quite hard to earn old man Schulz's trust. Pretty much he only trusted Melendez to do the job.
E-Master

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:25 am Reply with quote
I'd totally watch it, cause the Peanuts series never gets old. I find it interesting that THE Madhouse Studio is animating this short based upon something that's been around for more than half a century.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:59 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
And how are they gonna explain Charlie Brown kicking (and missing) the football?
It's a ball, he's trying to kick it and Lucy snatches it away. You don't exactly need to understand every niggling detail about the sport to get the joke.
Quote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
I would really like to see this. The old Melendez Films specials had a significant part in my childhood and I strongly associate their style with Peanuts, but seeing a very different studio animate it is enticing.

It's quite hard to earn old man Schulz's trust. Pretty much he only trusted Melendez to do the job.
I recall reading somewhere that he also limited the poses the animators could use to pretty much those he'd used in the strip itself. If that's true and binds Madhouse, things aren't going to look all that different. I've got no idea what that means for American reception of It's Lil' Slugger, Charlie Brown, though.
shukero

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
What's surprising me isn't the fact that they are doing this, but the fact that these are the people that did red line! lol, I thought that they'd try and go in a different direction to make the characters look more "this century"... you know more 2012ish, but i'm in the end glad they are just (most likely) paying hummage to the peanuts characters
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DTJB

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Peanuts...anime. Cool, never thought I'd see the day.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Now this is pretty interesting. Be curious to see.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
This is quite surprising. Madhouse doing an animated short based on "Peanuts." I've loved the adventures of Charlie Brown and Company for as long as I can remember. I wonder what the short will be like and if it'll be brought to the States. I'd love to see that.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
At least, I hope this turns out better than the most recent special, which could barely qualify as "Charlie Brown-In-Name-Only".

Don't get your hopes up too high. The reason the stores are called "Snoopy Town" is that Snoopy is far and away the most popular Peanuts character in Japan. I visited one of the stores when I had a chance to visit Japan a few years ago, and there was more merchandise for Snoopy in there than for all the other characters combined. So I wouldn't be surprised if the short is about Snoopy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I surprised that "Peanuts" is being made into an anime. It doesn't seem to be the type of thing that would be adapted to anime. Charlie Brown and the gang don't go around in giant robots battling evil,and I can't imagine Snoopy wandering around all over the place with a sword slashing everyone,except in his dreams.
The "Peanuts" gang seem to more on the sedate side of American animation and an unlikely property for anime. Nevertheless,it'll be interesting to see how the Japanese handle this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3