• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Licenses Nabari no Ou Ninja Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maryohki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:11 am Reply with quote
Yay, this is one that my friend said is really good but she figured wouldn't get licensed. I'll probably pick it up~
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:56 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I don't even follow fan-subs but this show looks generically generic. I think I'll pass.

It's not actually. The first couple of episodes are indeed generically generic but then something happens that introduces very interesting and to me unique complications. I didn't like how it all worked out in the end but I certainly wouldn't call Nabari generic.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:15 am Reply with quote
Busaiku Chama wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Well, this leaves one more open slot, and the chances are good that it's Seto no Hanayome.

Seems more likely that it will be Hetalia - Axis Powers
This hint starts out "Hey Talia".
It also ends with eve angie and eliand. Plus the picture on the site yesterday. It's most likely to be eva 1.0.
This show looks interesting enough but I didn't watch the subs so I'll give it a look.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I don't even follow fan-subs but this show looks generically generic. I think I'll pass.

I completly agree with you. Looks like a run of the mill shonen show. Hopefully the other shows prove to be more interesting.
Sarukah

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

I completly agree with you. Looks like a run of the mill shonen show. Hopefully the other shows prove to be more interesting.

I watched Nabari and I have to tell you, it is the complete opposite of a generic shonen show. You guys should really give it a chance, watch the first one or two episodes at least if you're not willing to buy it right away.
gorbal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:49 am Reply with quote
This is one of the few anime series I DON'T find generic...but then Reborn bored the crap out of me so my taste isn't universal.

This is a show for people who understand and appreciate subtlety, character, plot and intriguing visuals...if you want a lot of "bang bang boom" stick to amvs made of the series and Naruto.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I knew it! I flipping knew it! I knew Nabari no Ou was gonna be licensed by FUNimation! I might think of some suggestions for the cast later! Very Happy Yay!
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Busaiku Chama wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Well, this leaves one more open slot, and the chances are good that it's Seto no Hanayome.

Seems more likely that it will be Hetalia - Axis Powers
This hint starts out "Hey Talia".

I have stated several times that their is no way that Funimation would pre-liscense a series that the average person has never heard of.
Busaiku Chama

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
It also ends with eve angie and eliand. Plus the picture on the site yesterday.

It can always be both.
There are 10 licenses after all, and only 8 hints.
Nabari no Ou wasn't part of the hints though (I think), so maybe it isn't. But the hint just makes it seem very likely.

Charred Knight wrote:
I have stated several times that their is no way that Funimation would pre-liscense a series that the average person has never heard of.

Well, they licensed Shikabane Hime.
While not a pre-license, it was still close to that.
I wouldn't rule it out just yet, but we'll just have to wait and see.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:49 pm Reply with quote
But they had a picture of eva on their website. Maybe the whole "Hey Talia" thing was just a coincidence? They have absolutely no reason to take a risk on Hetalia Axis Powers but they have a lot to gain from eva.
Busaiku Chama

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I definitely believe that Eva was licensed, I'm saying that Hetalia could have also been hinted in that as well.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:10 pm Reply with quote
OT, but if the show apparently has as much yaoi loving as someone said in another topic, does anyone find it ironic that the word "het" is in Hetalia? Just food for thought.
melonbread

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
This news is pleasing, a new (unreleased before) anime. Good!
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
yayz! I liked Nabari enough to buy it (if it's cheap enough for me to afford), although I didn't really like the ending. REALLY didn't like the ending. But I liked the rest of it! And Yoite's a cutie pie. Very Happy
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
But they had a picture of eva on their website. Maybe the whole "Hey Talia" thing was just a coincidence? They have absolutely no reason to take a risk on Hetalia Axis Powers but they have a lot to gain from eva.

Unless there are other post cards that weren't found, there are only eight cards, but 10 new titles so it's reasonable to believe that at least two of them have clues for two shows. Though, I can't find reasonable mention of Nabari no Ou in any of them...

For those that think NnO looks like typical shonen fare you couldn't be further off. It's very slow paced and character driven. What action there is is very quick and to the point. No power ups, no dragged out training sessions, and even the super natural elements are used sparingly. It's like what would happen if you took the stereo typical ninja (special techniques and all) and thrust them into a world where they had to keep their existence a secret from the rest of the world. They still function as a part of society while belonging to their secret ninja (or even samurai) clans. In fact several of the characters don't even have special/supernatural abilities, they simply practice the art of ninjutsu and belong to their respective clan. Some are school teachers, some are doctors, some are assassins, some have desk jobs, and they all look like you or me. It's a nice take on the ninja genre and I can't wait to finish it since I was cut off when FUNi issued the C&D orders months ago.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4