• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Washington Library Responds to Complaint About Child Borrowing Yaoi Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljaesch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:21 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
About the whole request thing, she could've just looked at another local library's list of manga and seen it on there and requested it without knowing what it was. We just don't know.

I don't think she could have done that. I'm logged into the KCLS catalog as I type this, and I don't see how she could have browsed a list of graphic novels by library branch without knowing any titles.

The KCLS search is set up with four criteria you can use to search for items.

The first is a drop-down menu that lets you choose whether to search by Keyword, Title, Author, Subject, Series, Call Number, ISBN/ISSN/Other, and Publisher.

Next, a drop-down menu lets you choose what format you're looking for (All Formats, Book, DVD, eBook, Music CD, plus a number of others that I don't feel like listing off; however, there is no option here to specifically choose graphic novels).

A third drop-down menu lets you choose to search KCLS as a whole, or to search at a particular branch.

Finally, there's also a text box that you can use to type in the keyword or title that you're looking for.

I was just doing some experimenting, and I don't see a way this girl could have used the online catalog to come up with lists of graphic novels. Maybe she was doing a keyword search for "hero" and came up with this title, but our catalog shows pictures of the front covers when they're available (and all three volumes of the series in questions do have pictures of the front covers in the catalog); the covers should have tipped her off that maybe this wasn't what she was looking for.

If anyone has any questions about the King County Library System and how it works, please feel free to ask. If I don't know the answer, then my husband (who has been a patron of KCLS all 38 years of his life) would probably know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
About the whole request thing, she could've just looked at another local library's list of manga and seen it on there and requested it without knowing what it was. We just don't know.

As amazing as it seems to some adults, children are not mentally challenged and are capable of rational thought.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
st_owly wrote:

As amazing as it seems to some adults, children are not mentally challenged and are capable of rational thought.

we don't think that but just because it is likely that she knew what she was getting does not mean that she necessarily did. you can't prove that yes she did know.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

we don't think that but just because it is likely that she knew what she was getting does not mean that she necessarily did. you can't prove that yes she did know.

It seems a whole heck of a lot more likely than your assertions.
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
st_owly wrote:

^this, it's not like the title makes it obvious it's a yoai. also @dragon695 yes that is true however I have shown an example that no one has denied is possible that would lead to that book hurting her. also no one denied their is no bad thing that could happen by saying people under 13 need parental approval to check out books aimed exclusively at adults.

Ok, I am getting a little sick and tired of this.

I'm not even saying this precocious girl has a good reason to be checking this book out. Maybe it was an innocent mistake or maybe it was for curiosity or, most likely, it was for more prurient reasons. Who knows? I do know that having free access to adult material was beneficial to me in alleviating my confusion about my bisexual identity at age 11 (I will spare the details). The problem arises because our culture tends to cling to the sex-negative mores of the past, which only serves to punish and not inform. So, I once again return to my earlier sentiments, why the hell is it any of my business or the library's what books a 10 or 11 year old should be read?

Also, I reiterate my sentiment that the Dewey Decimal system is fundamentally flawed and modern libraries ought to arrange their stacks by the Library of Congress call numbers, as most university libraries do. Placing it in non-fiction makes no sense and demonstrates one way that the Dewey Decimal is lacking.
arromdee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote
Some libraries loan out movies as well as books. If the library had loaned an X-rated movie (or even an R-rated one) to a 10 year old do you still believe the family would have no cause for complaint? If not, how is this different?
ljaesch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
arromdee wrote:
Some libraries loan out movies as well as books. If the library had loaned an X-rated movie (or even an R-rated one) to a 10 year old do you still believe the family would have no cause for complaint? If not, how is this different?

First, KCLS does loan out movies, music, and other things besides books.

I'm not sure about how something like this is handled today at KCLS, but my husband was telling me about how KCLS handled a particular book that was released in 1992: Madonna's Sex book.

When KCLS got that book into their system, you could only check it out from the branch it was at (in other words, it was a title that you couldn't get through placing a hold for it, it had to be checked out through the library staff, and he believes that you also had to show proof of age before it would be checked out to you). Unfortunately, in this day and age of self-checkout and being able to put items on hold thorough online means rather than through the library staff, I really don't know what kind of safeguards may be in place for the situations you describe.

I'm aware of what was already quoted from the KCLS site in this thread, but I will try to find some time later today to go through the KCLS site myself to see if I can find anything else that might address the questions being asked by the poster I'm quoting.

EDITED TO ADD: I should probably mention that during the 15 years I've been a KCLS patron, I don't recall ever seeing any X-rated movies on the shelf when I've browsed through videos and DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
arromdee wrote:

They don't carry X-Rated movies, and from what I know about this manga, its closer to an R-Rated movie since it doesn't show any actual penetration. And no, I wouldn't have any issue with them lending out R rated movies to a 10 year old. Not everyone matures at the same rate, and limiting someones exposure to things simply due to their age isn't the job of the library.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
arromdee wrote:

Name 5 X-rated movies.

Do it. I dare you.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
arromdee wrote:

I was just browsing through KCLS' policies page:

http://www.kcls.org/usingthelibrary/policies/selections.cfm

Here is the most relevant excerpt from that link:

Quote:
From the library's perspective, only parents or legal guardians have the authority and responsibility to decide the reading, viewing or listening use of library materials for their own minor children. While the library does not presume to take the place of the parent or legal guardian, the library is committed to taking steps to create positive and clearly identified opportunities for minor children to make appropriate use of library resources, to support parents and legal guardians in their efforts to guide their own children's choices for reading, viewing and listening, and to assist parents and guardians to understand the library materials selection and electronic access process and policy with respect to children. For example, the library provides:

*Designated sections for Children and for Young Adults in community libraries with age-appropriate collections.
*Trained Children's and Young Adult Librarians in every library.
*Search engines that provide filtered access to the Internet at the election of the user on all workstations within the library.
*Computers with only filtered access to the Internet provided in the Children's section of each library.
*Notification to the parent or legal guardian of every minor child who registers for a library card regarding the KCLS policy of free and open access, and information about resources to assist parents in guiding their own children's use of library materials and services.
*Lists of recommended reading, viewing and listening, and reviews.
*Links on the KCLS Web pages to recommended sites for children and youth.
*Free programs for children, youth and their parents that promote reading and appropriate use of library resources.

Right in that excerpt, it states: "Notification to the parent or legal guardian of every minor child who registers for a library card regarding the KCLS policy of free and open access, and information about resources to assist parents in guiding their own children's use of library materials and services."

In other words, the parents really would have no cause for complaint, because they should already be aware of KCLS' policy of free and open access.

And, as stated earlier, KCLS does not appear to carry X-rated movies, so that argument is moot.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
I do know that having free access to adult material was beneficial to me ...

Libraries are usually looking for material that serves the non-mainstream population of their area. For this reason they will hunt out materials related to ethnic, racial and sexual minorities.

When I do my "Anime (and Manga) for Parents (and Other Grownups)" presentation at cons and libraries I always tell parents that ultimately what their kid looks at is their responsibility. I tell them to consider cutting their kids a bit of slack, after all experiencing something vicariously in a book or anime is better than in real life with no knowledge of what is happening. I also encourage them to use content they are not fully comfortable with in fictional works as an opening to discuss such matters with their kids.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
st_owly wrote:

I don't think she could have done that. I'm logged into the KCLS catalog as I type this, and I don't see how she could have browsed a list of graphic novels by library branch without knowing any titles.

I did a test and found that I could have used a keyword search for "Graphic novels, Japanese" to get a list of 2,540 titles in the entire system.

However as a librarian I knew how to pull up the record for a single manga, look at the details in the catalog record (under a pull down menu) and then use that text for the search. Not something your average library user can easily figure out.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:
I did a test and found that I could have used a keyword search for "Graphic novels, Japanese" to get a list of 2,540 titles in the entire system.

However as a librarian I knew how to pull up the record for a single manga, look at the details in the catalog record (under a pull down menu) and then use that text for the search. Not something your average library user can easily figure out.

Thanks for figuring that out. Smile I just tried that myself, and got the exact same result. It doesn't really seem to be in any order that I can easily recognize (i.e. alphabetical).

While it's possible, it seems like it would be a rather time-consuming way (especially for a 10-year-old) to search for potential reading material.
batou65

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:
A side note here. If anyone is interested in viewing the GN4LIB (Graphic Novels for Libraries) list discussion on this topic the postings can be read here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gn4lib/msearch?query=Challenge+to+yaoi+manga+at+King+County&submit=Search&charset=ISO-8859-1

Thanks, that was interesting.

The only point I want to mention is about graphic novels being filed under nonfiction. Someone earlier mentioned they're in 741.5 because there was no category for GNs, so they labeled them as art. But GNs are almost always fiction.

Isn't this evidence that this filing system is obsolete? Surely, for accuracy, the "fictionalness" of a book is a more important factor than the "artisticness" of it.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I asked a reference librarian once about this, and she said that the Dewey Decimal System is used by small libraries, while large libraries (e.g., university) use the Library of Congress System.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12