• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Banished from the Hero's Party

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
earl.m

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Rit and Ruti fighting over Red—only to realize how silly they are being—is a great moment.

That was my favorite moment of the show. Most shows would have gone the brocon route but this show teased it and rejected it. If anything, it deconstructed it by showing that Ruti's attachment to Red was unnatural and now freed of her - let us go ahead and call it what it is - curse she is free to form healthy attachments i.e. friendships with Tisse and Rit. The show also averted the harem angle by having Yarandrala reject her romantic interest in Red - excellent that this show makes "women with full control and agency over their romantic emotions rather than being controlled by them" a theme - in favor of pushing Ruti and having Theodora - who clearly adores Red - being motivated by duty than romance.

As for Ares, based on what I have read the TV show depicted him more sympathetically than did the source material. Where the TV show had his motivations being irrational jealousy and possessiveness, the source material had depicted them as the more deliberate machinations of a political climber (with some aristocracy versus commoner stuff thrown in).

Finally, I do not believe that this is the last episode. Yarandrala finding out where Red and Ruti are and heading that way seems like a "kicking off the next arc" type of deal. There seems to be more going on than "yay, Red is alive" because the logical response to that would have been to allow Red and Rit to have their new life together (the one that she encouraged Rit to pursue!) without her dropping in on the guy that she clearly has romantic feelings for and yes Rit knows this as well. Remember: Yarandrala is a high elf, meaning that having lived a long time she has witnessed several of these hero/demon lord cycles, and that she knows more about what is actually going on than anyone appears to be willing to let the humans in on. It is also curious that Yarandrala clearly believes that Red is more important to the goings on than is Ruti, and this almost certainly isn't due to her (suppressed) attraction to him, but may be what attracted her to him in the first place. She left the party - and Ruti - because Red was no longer around, and she is going to Zoltan to see Red, not Ruti.

As this show is more popular than Our Last Crusade and a bunch of other Kadokawa titles that got second seasons, I will be shocked if we don't hear about this getting renewed in the next few months.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:27 pm Reply with quote
It felt a bit fast, but I appreciate how the series wrapped up and was mostly conclusive, even while leaving things open. I'd be happy to see a second season, but I'm fine with ending it here too.

The first night scene was enjoyable awkward, though I'm surprised to learn that the old bed was never "broken in". The conversation before this about how it felt to have someone break in to your home was also very well done.

Quote:
it, almost spitefully, refuses to let Ruti heal Tisse.

I read this scene as her blessing was now so repressed that she could no longer use it to heal, going hand in hand with her now having the ability to feel emotions and cry.

poltroon wrote:
Perhaps the least important is, why is Ruti wearing a bag on her head to go to town?

Presuming that's not just a joke, that's a hat for the cold weather. I'm guessing it was inspired by an ushanka without ear flaps or something similar.
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I thought it was a pretty lame show. I wasn't feeling the Red x Rit ship. Just a nice girl, a nice guy and they like each other, that's it. That made for a very boring relationship dynamic. The whole thing with blessings was interesting conceptually, but I felt like the show wasn't very good at weaving that concept into an interesting narrative.

I liked Tisse forming a friendship with Ruti. Tisse freaking out internally while trying not to show it on her face was funny. Tisse was cool. It also helps that she was also voiced by Rie Kugimiya.

I feel like a lot of its popularity just came from Rit being a big boobed waifu.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I guess it makes sense that Red would save Ruti, not through an epic battle with his warrior sword, but with a simple blade and disarm combo.

So...are Theodora and Albert going to take over fighting the Demon Lord in Ruti's stead? The show was kind of vague about what happened to them. Is Danan going to join them? I wonder how much of a chance they have without Ruti's Blessing behind them.

It's nice to see Ruti as a normal girl, finally.

I guess, despite how awful Ares was, he was still a comrade and as such deserves a proper funeral.

I'm glad we got to finally see Red and Rit have sex and some nice pillow talk about their future together, and Rit finally says she loves Red to his face.

I'm almost kind of surprised Ruti is still going out saving people, albeit of her own free will now. I guess deep down there was a part of her that was a Hero even without the Blessing.

I'm guessing Yarandrala showing up in Zoltan will shake things up again.
zztop

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
However, it certainly hints that the whole Blessing system is even more messed up than it appears.

The same could be extended to the rest of their world, given some extra LN reveals that didn't get covered in the anime. Like why Shisandan wanted to help Ares make Ruti the Hero again.

spoiler[It’s some kind of cosmic social darwinism thing. Shisandan (and the Demon lord) believe the war between the Hero and Demon Lord is needed to shake their respective civilizations out of stagnation. “…Civilization, like blessings, can only advance through hardship. After all, the capabilities of the people and demons who lead are determined by the level of their blessings. A large scale war weeds out the weak while the powerful gain levels. And the world advances to a new age on the backs of those chosen by Divine Blessings.”]

Oh and spoiler[Shisandan is still alive. Because Asura demons don’t have Demis’ blessings, their souls will immediately return to their Asura king, who can respawn them whole but in a weaker state. So Asura demons don’t fear death and can keep coming back again and again after retraining and learning from their mistakes, like players at a dedicated spawning save point. Plus the Asura king is also the current demon lord. Shisandan plans to get back into fighting shape again so he can go and get a rematch with Ruti again.]
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I do find it kind of hilarious that they break Godwin out of prison, basically kidnap him, and then let him loose. Even though he was basically a fantasy drug dealer.
poltroon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:14 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I do find it kind of hilarious that they break Godwin out of prison, basically kidnap him, and then let him loose. Even though he was basically a fantasy drug dealer.

I did enjoy his scenes in the last two episodes but I was also kind of mystified that Red doesn't care that the dude is selling drugs to his sister, and with the intent to harm her.

I'm also still baffled by the "first night" thing because they made kind of a big deal about starting out with two twin beds, and then, like months ago I thought, they traded those in for a single big bed so... I'm not getting how there is confusion about intent or why this hadn't happened... ages ago?
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:06 am Reply with quote
poltroon wrote:
I was also kind of mystified that Red doesn't care that the dude is selling drugs to his sister, and with the intent to harm her.

This was better explained in the LN: Ruti decides to overlook Godwin's crimes as thanks for helping them and even gave him a huge sum of money (Ruti is actually really rich from all the legendary treasures she collected during her travels, so much that her personal wealth exceeds Zoltan's national budget!).
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:11 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

The first night scene was enjoyable awkward, though I'm surprised to learn that the old bed was never "broken in". The conversation before this about how it felt to have someone break in to your home was also very well done.

poltroon wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

I did enjoy his scenes in the last two episodes but I was also kind of mystified that Red doesn't care that the dude is selling drugs to his sister, and with the intent to harm her.

I'm also still baffled by the "first night" thing because they made kind of a big deal about starting out with two twin beds, and then, like months ago I thought, they traded those in for a single big bed so... I'm not getting how there is confusion about intent or why this hadn't happened... ages ago?

I was actually really confused by the scene...to the point where I thought it was a flashback. I mean, they've bathed in a bath together and have been sharing the same bed for months (?) and you mean to tell me theyre just breaking it in? I mean....even the way they framed the bathing scene, it made it seem like there was some follow on fun afterwords lol
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:43 am Reply with quote
Its funny how scared most anime content, even in light novels can be scared of properly developed relationships. Even those that have people sleeping with each other often treat one another as if they are shy about holding hands and hugging despite living together and no doubt having to put up with farts, burps, bad smells, toilet and shower battles and hopefully learning that people arnt just fantasies but have odd likes and behaviours.

I think the fear of putting off viewers who dont see the perfect idolised lifestyle can be really limiting at times. Though I admit that the airiness can be quite pleasant at times.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Aerodynamic41 wrote:
poltroon wrote:
I was also kind of mystified that Red doesn't care that the dude is selling drugs to his sister, and with the intent to harm her.

This was better explained in the LN: Ruti decides to overlook Godwin's crimes as thanks for helping them and even gave him a huge sum of money (Ruti is actually really rich from all the legendary treasures she collected during her travels, so much that her personal wealth exceeds Zoltan's national budget!).

I guess that goes to show how much Ruti really wasn't much of a Hero that she just lets go and pays off a criminal who hurt others because he just so happened to help her (even if she had to kidnap and basically force him to do it).
09jcg wrote:
I was actually really confused by the scene...to the point where I thought it was a flashback. I mean, they've bathed in a bath together and have been sharing the same bed for months (?) and you mean to tell me theyre just breaking it in? I mean....even the way they framed the bathing scene, it made it seem like there was some follow on fun afterwords lol

I too had assumed after the bath scene that they'd already done it by that point...but at least we got to see it on-screen this time.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
I think the fear of putting off viewers who dont see the perfect idolised lifestyle can be really limiting at times. Though I admit that the airiness can be quite pleasant at times.

This is hardly a problem limited to anime, though. American sitcoms dodged around much or all of what you're talking about for decades, and on some of those points they still do it.

Leviathonlx wrote:
I feel like a lot of its popularity just came from Rit being a big boobed waifu.

I don't doubt this was a factor, but I'd be careful about overestimating its impact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Cryten wrote:

This is hardly a problem limited to anime, though. American sitcoms dodged around much or all of what you're talking about for decades, and on some of those points they still do it.

Accepted but that it is common isnt really the point. That shows often get stuck with their relationships because of it is. Friends is a great example of how this paralysis of character development ruined a shows ending because of it. I highlight Toradora as a exemplar for when it is done right you get marvellously dramatic tension in the story conclusion.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:41 am Reply with quote
Dunno if it is the case or not as I've only seen the anime but I hope its not the case that Ruti is suppressing Rit's blessing after what Red had said about blessings and how it's ultimately up to the person themselves to decide if it controls them or not. I'd like to think of her and Red on the same playing field as equals and she's able to control it herself and not have a handout from his sister even if it's a sign of approval of their relationship from her.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:15 pm Reply with quote
This show was alright. Nothing memorable, but it has some good ideas that arent capitalized on too well in execution. I think the issue is that the comfy life isn't as compelling to thr viewer, naturally, so the plot kind of convenienced itself back in to get the MC to do get involved. This was handled as best as it could've been, but maybe the concept itself was limiting without this being a slice of life comedy all the way through. I don't see how much further they can take this premise without having to move thr MC further from his ordinary life. So maybe it's best just ended here...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12