• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan The Final Season Part 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 86:

Huh, Conny Ackerman, who would've thought.

The highlights of this episode were definitely Falco's transformation (arguably the coolest titan in all of AoT), Gabi shooting Floch, and Magath and Shadis' sacrifice. I love how they wrapped up their character arcs. Magath's speech about how he would've been happy if the Warriors had been given a chance at a normal life and Shadis saying he was moved by how much his students had grown made me tear up a little.

For the most part the episode looked great and there was sakuga everywhere, tho that one scene with Mikasa blowing up the soldiers she had already killed and beheaded was pretty tasteless.

Don't forget to watch till the end. There's a post-credits scene.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:

For the most part the episode looked great and there was sakuga everywhere, tho that one scene with Mikasa blowing up the soldiers she had already killed and beheaded was pretty tasteless.

Was pretty sure this never happened in the manga, and upon double-checking, nope, anime-added. Which is really jarring considering this battle is sandwiched between scenes of everyone discussing if they can fight/kill their friends and/or former comrades. Confused
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the Mikasa scene definitely stuck out a bit grotesquely. I thought maybe they were going for some sort of MIkasa-is-hardening-herself-against-what-they-have-to-do-and-losing-herself-because-of-it angle, but it being just carelessly added anime-only gore makes more sense. Definitely didn't flow with the otherwise pretty impeccable episode very well.

I also never seem to tire of the ODM gear acrobatics sakuga, no matter how many seasons of it we get.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I saw it more as Mikasa setting off the thunder spear to either A) keeping any of the other enemies from using it, or B) possibly taking out anyone who may have been on the floor below, or C) it was just a heat of the moment thing and her emotions got the best of her.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:18 am Reply with quote
I think going completely off the rails when fighting is very on character with Mikasa. it brings back memories of her first kill.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:59 pm Reply with quote
It's getting ridiculous how overpowered is Mikasa. She is basically Kira Yamato.
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:08 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
It's getting ridiculous how overpowered is Mikasa. She is basically Kira Yamato.

She's been overpowered since season 1.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:02 am Reply with quote
Final Part of Final Season
NHK Geeneral 2023 Broadcast

No film!

https://shingeki.tv/final/
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:07 am Reply with quote
gumbaloom wrote:
Final Part of Final Season
NHK Geeneral 2023 Broadcast

No film!

https://shingeki.tv/final/

Yay! So happy!! Much better with them taking their time too!! I know people will complain but I’m not!
Kirki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Reading these reviews was plenty of fun and thank you James for that. However, they have also served in making even more abundantly clear how bad the ending of AoT turned out to be, for those who know. Any kind of speculation and analysis since after the Rumbling simply feels out of the mark and pointless. And everything the reviewer says is absolutely logical stuff to imagine because this is exactly what we were thinking of them back when we were reading the manga.

People talk about the Historia plotline and if it's a spoiler or not to mention, but generally speaking, if we started listing things that turned out to be of little to no importance, almost the entire series and its plotlines would fly out of the window. AoT was initially supposed to be a series to be completed in 3 volumes give or take. Fortunately it wasn't and it gave us great stuff during its course, but at the same time, unfortunately, it ended like it was.

I honestly don't know how many people will have the willpower to return for the final-final-final part. My guess is, not as many, since plenty of people tuned in to this one just to see the Rumbling. Too bad AoT. You had the best potential an anime series ever had to recent date. It was simply... too bad. (And no the ending is not bad because spoiler[people had wanted Eren to succeed with the Rumbling. He pretty much did anyway.] We'll talk about it when we get there.)
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Posts removed. Let people wonder about stuff. If the series ends and nothing else comes of it, we can talk about what wasn't resolved/unsatisfactorily resolved then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Theozilla

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Very well, I will accept and follow that policy from now on, even I personally disagree with the reasoning behind it.

Anyways, (based on the manga) I found the ending AoT to be good/decent. A number of significant flaws and issues kept it from being a great/fantastic ending IMO, but it certainly wasn’t a bad ending or even just so-so. It will be interesting to if the anime expands on the ending to let it breath more or not.

Also this is how I am expecting the next cour to shape up as. The anime has chapters 131-139 of the manga remaining to adapt, chapters 131-138 were all standard length chapters of 45 pages, and chapter 139 was an extra long 57 page finale. Presuming that part 3's pacing remains similar to what part 2's was (14 standard length chapters over the course of 12 episodes), part 3 will likely be 8-10 episodes long I bet.
Impermanence

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Eren's motivations make absolutely no sense.

This show has become a parody of a once-good idea.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 88:

Loved how the episode was divided into Mikasa's and Eren's points of view. This is one of those cases where the adaptation elevated the source material. The levity and fun of the first half made the second half hurt that much more.

My one complaint is that I agree that the titans swimming in the ocean looked pretty goofy. There were also some animation mistakes (some titans had missing eyes), and I didn't like the OST choice for the final scene. But other than that, this is one of my favourite Attack on Titan episodes to date.

Oh, and I like the idea of Eren being the father. I don't think there are romantic feelings between Eren and Historia at all, and I hate how some people are romanticizing that scene, but I can see Eren wanting to leave something behind because he knows he's gonna die soon, and I can also see Historia choosing Eren since he's someone she actually cares about. If I were in her position and I had to get pregnant in order to survive (which is, you know, horrible), I'd rather choose someone I care about instead of a rando picked by somebody else. But hey, I also don't mind Farmer-kun being the father. I do however mind Historia being relegated to irrelevancy.

Last edited by Everlasting Coconut on Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Taederias

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Colossal Titans swimming in the ocean

For some reason this made my mind jump to this ancient video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykwqXuMPsoc. Which is rather hilariously applicable if one switches “narwhals” to “titans” (obviously), makes a few other appropriate tweaks in the lyrics, then edits in an assortment of suitable AoT clips. (I’ve got a few ideas, but no time for that unfortunately. Smile )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12