• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Week Friends (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
TEE HEE HEE HEE HEE

Saki spoiler[proposed to Shugo.]

Excellent. More of that. Laughing

Also, YUUKI, dear, guys don't spoiler[CRY over losing memories with girls who are just their friends.]
Wake up and realize you love her, already. Rolling Eyes
Gatherum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
TEE HEE HEE HEE HEE

Saki spoiler[proposed to Shugo.]

Excellent. More of that. Laughing

While I have warmed up to Saki as things have gone on (I found her voice extremely annoying when she was first introduced; VO fixed herself by the next episode though), and can agree on her being adorable, I don't get the impression that she quite understands what love/romance entails. She's looking for someone to rely on, not someone to get close to. Think maybe she needs a bit more time to figure this out before I can ship her and Shogo in good conscience.

Chiibi wrote:
Also, YUUKI, dear, guys don't spoiler[CRY over losing memories with girls who are just their friends.]
Wake up and realize you love her, already. Rolling Eyes

A friend can have just as profound an impact on someone as a lover can, if not more so...

...Though I'll agree that Yuki is doing a very good job of lying to himself.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
While I have warmed up to Saki as things have gone on (I found her voice extremely annoying when she was first introduced; VO fixed herself by the next episode though)

Yeah, you're crazy. Saki's VO was bang on from second one. The only thing that got "fixed" is you musta dug the wax out of your ears.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's because she was a little less prominent after her introduction. All I remember are annoyingly frequent, long inflections at the end of every sentence. >.<
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Good episode with a lot of feels still. Despite being honest, spoiler[I'm still not much of a Hajime fan. At any rate, I didn't like how Kaori was treated according to those flashbacks.]

Still, I'm curious how the show will end though with spoiler[that weird ending. I'm also wondering what kinda role Saki will play if she will be part of it in the finale.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
All that spoiler[teeange angst] was a bit underwhelming, to be honest. I dunno, maybe i expected a bit of a less mundane reason for Kaori losing her memories than spoiler[ jealousy between girls ]...but well, it explains why she only loses the memories of her friends at the very least spoiler[(though that little bitchfight didn't look all that memory-loss-inducing traumatic to me...)]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Hase was pretty disappointing this week. 11 eppies in and he still doesn't "get it." When he made the commitment to try and break through with Kaori - a commitment he undertook voluntarily without being asked by her - he should have realized he, if he's any kind of decent human being at all, was committed to seeing it through to the bitter end, no matter what. No, "waah-waah, this is harder than I thought it would be" or "waah-waah, I might not get what I want." If he wasn't willing to see it through, he should have just left her alone. Anyway, no doubt he'll come to his senses and stop acting like a whiny little bitch in the finale but it's still frustrating to watch.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
No, "waah-waah, this is harder than I thought it would be" or "waah-waah, I might not get what I want."

It's not really that, it's spoiler["I might end up hurting her like Hajime did and I want to avoid that."] Which is still dumb on his part since spoiler[by avoiding her he's hurting her anyways.]
Alberto7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Hase was pretty disappointing this week. 11 eppies in and he still doesn't "get it." When he made the commitment to try and break through with Kaori - a commitment he undertook voluntarily without being asked by her - he should have realized he, if he's any kind of decent human being at all, was committed to seeing it through to the bitter end, no matter what. No, "waah-waah, this is harder than I thought it would be" or "waah-waah, I might not get what I want." If he wasn't willing to see it through, he should have just left her alone. Anyway, no doubt he'll come to his senses and stop acting like a whiny little bitch in the finale but it's still frustrating to watch.

So much this. I've been able to justify Hase's actions and behaviour up until now, but this episode he was a borderline jerk. I realize the show focuses on his character's feelings the most, but spoiler[he can't just disregard Kaori's to that extent after everything he's been through and after the commitment he made.] Still a really good episode, but I still can't quite stop thinking about "the happy old days" every time a new facet of the conflict is presented. Now even spoiler[Saki-chan is depressed... Sad] seriously, someone fix this.

I personally liked how they spoiler[justified Kaori's condition], if only because it was different from what I expected. The chat between Kajime and Hase was entertaining as well.

Looking forward to next week's episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:28 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Blood- wrote:
No, "waah-waah, this is harder than I thought it would be" or "waah-waah, I might not get what I want."

It's not really that, it's spoiler["I might end up hurting her like Hajime did and I want to avoid that."] Which is still dumb on his part since spoiler[by avoiding her he's hurting her anyways.]

Hase's logic was so weak for exactly the reason you state that I simply discounted it. Whether the writers intended it or not, how I psychologically interpret Hase's actions is that he was willing to work hard when he had hopes there would be a pay off for him (i.e. he and Kaori being more than "just friends"). However, ever since her regression, that goal of his is in doubt. So rather than buckle down and get back to work, he has mentally and emotionally checked out. Real admirable.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:10 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
logic

And there's your problem right there. As much as we like to pretend otherwise, people don't run on logic, they run on emotion. This is especially true for teenagers so you're really expecting too much out of him.

It might not be admirable, but it's pretty human of him.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:11 am Reply with quote
I never said it wasn't human. I just said it wasn't admirable and that his conduct was disappointing. When I watch a romance, I like to think both sides of the equation are worthy of each other. Seeing Hase act like that doesn't make me want to root for him regardless of how understandable his attitude may be.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:10 am Reply with quote
Yeah! Finally caught up on the past 3 episodes. I'm still not sure about Kujo, I worry that he is going to try and spoiler[tamper with the diary], well that thought has slightly diminished after his reaction towards the end of ep.11.

For me Saki and Shugo came a little out of nowhere a few episodes back but its an enjoyable spoiler[little side plot.]

I think Fujimiya is going to be the one to finally get through to Hase. I agree with a few of you that its a little frustrating that he "doesn't get it" but at the same time I believe this is down to his personality and age; I don't think that Kuji's previous expectance has helped with this.

I'm going to be disappointed when this series ends this week... To the manga I go Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

What a beautiful way to end the series. It's a shame spoiler[they didn't find a permanent solution to her memory problems] but in a way I'm quite glad they didn't as it would have rushed the series or made it seem less believable.

I'm also glad, as much as I would liked to heave seen it, that spoiler[no romantic couples were formed. It seems like Shugo & Saki as well as Fujimiya & Hase will probably end up as couples further down the line but it wasn't needed to be shown as this was a series about friendship] and I'm glad they stuck with it.

Hase's revelation at the end, though obvious to everyone but him, was heart warming and the spoiler[diary he now keeps makes him even more adorable.]

I'm sad to see this series finish but I'm glad it wasn't dragged out as it came to a natural place to end. A little more spoiler[involvement from Kujo though out the series wouldn't have gone as miss as he came in quite late] but all in all a very enjoyable series. I will be voting OWF as Excellent.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote

^ This is how I feel about the finale. In other words, I'm sad the show is over.

Overall, a pleasant series although there was no spoiler[actual romance that bloomed even with this finale for the two main characters. I like how the show went back to its classics with the crepes though. I find the scene at the shrine to be done pretty well as it went back to the friendship theme all over again. Maybe I should write in my journal about my final thoughts like what Hase did there.]

Great series overall, rating this 8/10. This was great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14