• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Cancels One Piece Production

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightOption

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I would just like to add, I don't think a forum post is a reliable source for this kind of news.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Sketchor wrote:

Obviously One Piece's manga isn't as popular here as it is in Japan. Who ever expected it to be as popular here? As much as I love it I sure didn't think it would be.

If you do some digging at ICv2's archives for the years prior to and up to the 4Kids dub, OP was one of the few non-licensed anime talked about as being the "next biggest hit" in America. FMA, Naruto, and Bleach weren't even identified until they started doing well here; such is how much faith went into the OP franchise.

Now, the series is rarely discussed, even when on rare occassions (flukes) it manages to make the top booklist; if VIZ Media really cared about OP's success, they would be always reporting its sales status, only presented in a positive light (as in, "the popular manga OP made #523 on a list of 1,000 titles"). Take the instance where Naruto did well on the Bookscan report; VIZ Media's marketing is so poor they didn't even comment on it, let alone try to bring up OP's status.

The company has deviated too far from its cultural/niche roots, in my opinion, since they're Amercanizing their manga (more softly called "editing") while boasting of trying to promote Japanese culture. Wow, that's really awesome; promote Japanese culture by censoring it to death to hide the fact that it's Japanese.

At least 4Kids made a lot of children happy with their OP dub. All VIZ managed to do was piss off or disappoint a lot of old-time fans of the series; children, the intended audience for OP, don't even bother with the title!

Sketchor wrote:

However the manga sales are stronger than you give it credit. Inuyasha and Ranma 1/2 aren't that strong last time I checked.

Give how old those titles are (licensed), I'm not surprised, but their aggregate sales still exceed OP, as well as their derivative sales during the years when they were "fresh" (as in, among the few manga available).

Sketchor wrote:

Naruto, Death Note, Bleach and One Piece are the current top selling JUMP series at the very least.

Depends on how you define JUMP; VIZ's JUMP or Shueisha's JUMP? Among the Shueisha titles, Naruto, Death Note, Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Death Note, Bleach, Rurouni Kenshin, and even Shaman King sell better than OP. Considering how those titles are dwarfed by OP's sales in Japan, barring DB, and taking note that the vast majority of other JUMP titles owned by VIZ are poor sellers, OP is average, which isn't befitting given its calibur of quality.

Sketchor wrote:

Naruto and Deathnote far surpass Bleach and One Piece and OP is 4th but that's still a good seller.

The distribution tells a different story; given that VIZ has thirty titles registered as JUMP/JUMP ADVANCED and among those, only six are outrageously high sellers (what I mentioned earlier minus SK and DB) with an irregular distribution (that is, Naruto in far first with Bleach in second and Rurouni Kenshin right behind it), assuming we have a normal bell distribution curve (six very high sellers, six very low sellers) the 'average' selling titles number about eighteen, with OP ranks at #8, which is seems good but is actually falls in the 'average' category, if among the higher of the average manga.

That also doesn't take into account the deviation between the title sales, which is like huge among the top six and really small among the bottom six. For all purposes of argument, though, it's an average title, which, relatively to its outrageous brand power in Japan, is unacceptable.
Shinogu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
It's about time they did cause they screwed up big time and they runied one of the best animes ever. I believe that Band Dai should take over the production because it is their anime and i just wondered why did they let those gay 4kids people get that anime.
LuffyTheGreat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Yay!! I hope it will have an uncut form. Also I hope Smoker won't be Chaser, Ace won't be Trace, and Zoro won't be Zolo (Not a big deal about the Zoro/Zolo one though.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:47 am Reply with quote
LuffyTheGreat wrote:
Yay!! I hope it will have an uncut form. Also I hope Smoker won't be Chaser, Ace won't be Trace, and Zoro won't be Zolo (Not a big deal about the Zoro/Zolo one though.

According to one of our editors, he doesn't think this show will ever get off the ground as an uncut version. I hope somebody does pick it up though.
Kiba17

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Seriously?....I was hoping that One Piece would get an uncut release somewhere down the road, and hope it's re-picked up soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12