• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Fullmetal Alchemist TV Anime Series Confirmed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Gabomon wrote:
How could the story continue? Maybe the Elrics returning home?

I personally think that the story of FMA should just end right where it is. Trying to extend on a story which already has a completed arc can often lead to messy results. Look at what happened to Nadia--that show was supposed to be 26-30ish, but the popular ratings pushed the episode count to 39... with the resulting extra episodes being not only poorly produced but did absolutely NOTHING to move the story along. If this new TV series is an attempt to make more money, then I have to say that it could very well disgrace a fine series.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
Gabomon wrote:

I personally think that the story of FMA should just end right where it is. Trying to extend on a story which already has a completed arc can often lead to messy results. Look at what happened to Nadia--that show was supposed to be 26-30ish, but the popular ratings pushed the episode count to 39... with the resulting extra episodes being not only poorly produced but did absolutely NOTHING to move the story along. If this new TV series is an attempt to make more money, then I have to say that it could very well disgrace a fine series.
But I'm sure part of it was to satisfy the fan's, also well see where it goes it could follow the manga even though I perfer the anime...

Last edited by Eddy564 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animegal999

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
TurnerJ wrote:
Gabomon wrote:

But I'm sure part of it was to satisfy the fan's, also well see where it goes it could follow the manga even thogh I perfer the anime...

I heard that they were going to do an entire anime series based off the manga but that was just a rumor. I'm worried about what will happen to the story-line if they just extend it. Most of the time sequels that are un-needed but made just to get popularity again are junk. Especially if they completely cut-off the movie and add on from there. That would be really confusing and un-needed. I would like to see a series based off the manga though. Just for the people that are too lazy to read, even though mangas are super easy to read. I'm also worried about the english voice cast. i read that Aaron Dismuke doesn't sound like Al anymore. that sucks. If any of the other characters original voices are missing (even if they can replace Aaron) then i think that could really ruin the series. especially since FMA went on for so long. we've gotten really used to their voices and anything else probably wouldn't even sound right.
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Losing Aaron Dismuke would be a pretty heavy blow, there's no doubt about that. Perhaps he could still pull off a good Al voice, though? I mean, Al doesn't necessarily have to sound so high pitched throughout the entire series. I wouldn't be absolutely distraught if Al sounded a bit older - I'd prefer that to a new VA, at any rate. And Vic Mignogna can still do a great Ed, I'm sure, so it'd be excellent to have him back. It would definitely be really weird to have any key voices missing, though.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rebecca1/2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:42 am Reply with quote
No one thinks continuing the story from the end of the movie, with both brothers trapped in our world circa mid-30s, would be interesting? I can see for a good war intrique drama wrapped around the development of the atomic bomb and the growth of the Third Reich, or the development of early jet-powered craft. How will Ed and Al deal with problems without the ability to use alchemy? What will they do to try to return to the gate and back home?

I thought the movie did a great job of manipulating actual history around the story.

And you could solve the voice problem by skipping ahead a little, Al was just about old enough for his voice to change anyways.
Animegal999

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
rebecca1/2 wrote:
No one thinks continuing the story from the end of the movie, with both brothers trapped in our world circa mid-30s, would be interesting?
And you could solve the voice problem by skipping ahead a little, Al was just about old enough for his voice to change anyways.

true. I'm just saying that it would be a risk to start at the where the movie left off. They probably could make up some more conflicts, but if alchemy doesn't even come up then the whole sequel would definitely be a let down. It would be interesting if there was an opportunity for Ed and Al to go back home. Especially w/ the whole Ed and Winry lovey-dovey factor. ha ha. And what about Envy?? He never died in the movie did he? That would be really cool. I just hope that whatever they do, it turns out to be a great success.

And ur right. its should be fine to here Al's voice changed though. MAybe if they skip like 5 years. but that would be weird... Ed would be 23!!! that's just weird!!
Zoe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
rebecca1/2 wrote:

Remember it's the Japanese making the series. They couldn't care less whether an American VA has aged or not.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Since I didn't like the movie, I just would like them to animate the manga again from the start, even better wait the ending of the manga and then making a completely true adaptation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sinjid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I would like for them to at least show them getting back to their home. That would be enough for me.
smashmeapples

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote
I really hope they include the country of Xing in there, I love Ling(or 'lin'), his expressions are hilarious and i've been hoping for so long how it would look like on the animated screen, Ran Fan(or Lan Fan, I prefer it Ran Fan) too. May, not so much, but her wild fantasies with the Elric brothers amuses me. Her imagination is so over-the-horizons, literally.. Rolling Eyes Oh, I hope to god that they include armstrong's older sister too, she is a kickass girl~ >Very Happy

It would be interesting to see the Elric brothers return home, but with them already having destroyed the Gate, its not likely. And they already showed in the OAV of Edward's 100th Birthday in our world thus showing that he and Alphonse remained in our world. Unless they somehow, magically revived the Gate with like a 'magical gate-stone-keeper-thing' from their world or something like that and they jumped from our world and their world several times, then stayed in our world for the rest of their life.

That would confuse the hell outta many people who arent good at keeping track(or are just to lazy -_- ) of that sort of thing and the ratings would drop. well~, depending on how they 'prop' out the episodes...

They can't just let Ed and Al go back in their world and stay there for the rest of their lives though, not after putting out that OAV....

Besides that, Vic Mignogna's gotta be Edward, I think he's the most suitable. And when I heard Aaron Dismuke's voice in the movie...I was...pretty surprised. He's grown, I'll say that much. Ahh, but his voice was so much more adorable for Alphonse back when he was around 12...Now he's 15, but his voice should actually be suited for Alphonse even since Alphonse is like 17 or 18 from where they ended in the movie... So, adult for adult, but I'll still miss that squeaky voice of his -_-
Animegal999

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I figure that they will just totally blow off the OVA. i mean technically it's an "extra" so think of it more as an alternate ending.

Also i heard from another site that they decided it would be off the manga... but it might not be true.
BlahBloke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:57 pm Reply with quote
this is good news anyway. I bet they will change the genre from adventure fantasy to science fiction now.

cant wait to hear more comments about jews, gypsi and eistine been a fraud! nice!

anyone want in more revival in the new season? if one of the character will revive (either as human or homunclus), who do you think it will be?

personally i gonna go for heitrech, he's such an important character but he hardly got any lines in the series... its like in the whole movie he only talked 5 times and thats it!

wierd thought: have the ed in the real world (the one ed sacrofised in epi 50) revive as a homunclus, and come after edward elric for revenge!
antimony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
Hey, everyone I'm new. I decided to join because I have a few things to say about this whole issue.

First of all, it's not clear if this new anime will be a direct sequel to the first series. To me it seems like the first series is completely over, what with the movie and the OVA shorts all. I also think it wouldn't be right to have a new series about the Elrics in a world without alchemy, because the word Alchemist is in the title in big bold letters! How can they be alchemists without alchemy?

I won't say I hate the anime, it was my introduction to the FMA world and it hooked me in. I read the manga shortly afterward and liked it even more, so I felt confused when the stories began going in such different directions and became totally different from each other. By the time I saw the ending of the anime I felt disappointed because it basically contradicted all the ideas it had started out with and the foundation it was built on fell apart. I became a devoted manga fan since then because there was more story being told and more hope for a more conclusive and satisfying ending.

Let's be honest here, people. Whether you like it or not, the manga came first. FMA is the brainchild of Hiromu Arakawa, not a team of directors at BONES studios. Arakawa is the only one who truly knows who the characters really are, what their world is really like, and how their story will really end. The official announcement for the new anime came out on the back of the latest graphic novel. This fact suggests to me that the new series will have stronger ties with the manga, though how exactly I can't say. All I can say is that they better do a damn good job of it, or there will be a lot of grumpy fans to deal with.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I wholly agree with you. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ry0ga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:43 am Reply with quote
Lsn, guys, it's a REMAKE and every news article says so. So it's dumb to think it's a sequel.

But I personally think it's too early to make a sequel, the creator actually wanted the anime to be different which is why the story diverged from the manga, and the great thing about that is the writers actually showed their creativity without resorting to fillers.

It's only been 4 years since it end, it's way too soon, can't they hold on a bit? The anime is still popular so why not wait till the manga is actually over.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14