• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kotoura-San (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Overall, I thought it was pretty good. I liked most of the cast and the cute comedy matched the art style very well. It's not really the kind of show where I'd root for a 2nd season or anything, but it almost feels like it might be interesting to see what happens from here. All the spoiler[drama regarding Kotoura and her mother seems to be resolved though,] so they'd have to manufacture new drama to prevent it from being strictly comedy.

Anyway, I lol'ed when we found out that spoiler[Kumiko's date's thoughts were simply of him lusting over Kotoura's high-school body haha.]
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
ep.12

spoiler[winter time so disband esp club oh wait it just rename all fine so time for karaoke singing before that mifune confess & sorry to kotoura give all fine with wonder to notice yet to see kotoura & manabe confess to each other.

after karaoke singing yea kotoura still a bad singer well time to enter the home to see the "mom" is in kotoura's room want food & drunk give bit bitter yet it's finally BOOM here come drama bombs.

give kotoura & her mom confess probs have in their life to lead to pillow fight after all that confess is out & all relax fine oh kotoura mention her mom's date is like a manabe & kotoura's grandpa (yea really why got pery person magnet on them).

then all clean kotoura saw her mom's thought give feel guilty & sad since leaving kotoura after nap together well at her mom give her eggs meal to have.

& yea back kotoura trying confess to manabe even mori try to help til wrong timing door enter manabe thinkinh kotoura-mori route cue mifiune chop drag manabe time.

now one more try give snow & christmas tree well it ok sorts with all fine from esp having fun, grandpa & monk have drink, kotoura's mom is more defrosting, etc yep kotoura's life is back to normal. ]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale)

Another one finished, another one that really did not blow me away. The last episode did not really have much of notice other than Kotoura standing up to her mother and starting to make up with her, and a confirmation of Kotoura's and Manabe's feelings. Though we found we found out the mother felt bad about what happened, I don't think it gave any excuse or forgivness for her actions. Instead she said some aweful things to Kotoura again Kotoura was right on for telling her off for abandoni her at such a time, clearly it shows that she is just not strong enough, especially compared to Manabe who she had no right to insult.

Really I think the series strongest trait was just how tragic it could be, the first part of the first episode was just crushing, and there were multiple other times where characters were just pushed too far. I especially like how Moritani was involved in this as she did some horible things, but spent a lot of time makeing up for that, but I disliked her unfound abuse of Manabe who never really did anything wrong. The tragedy to some extent also worked against it as the comedy often felt out of place, and there is only so much you can take before you become numb to the next bad thing with characters blaming themselves. The only time I can really think of the comedy working was when they decided to bring back Kotoura, or picking on Moritani.

I will give the series a Good as beside a lot of meh bits, I did enjoy it and never felt like a chore to watch.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:22 am Reply with quote
Rated it Decent.

"It's cute, it has some nice tender moments and excellent drama. But there's a lot to hate as well.

Manabe is hard to like, being a perverted moron whose dirty thoughts makes him the designated punching bag. The grandfather is in a similar boat, being such an over-the-top pervert that he doesn't come off as genuine. Mifune's plotline is just hurriedly resolved in a dissatisfying way. Kotoura goes round in circles, beating herself up over every little thing - her development is extremely messy and goes in circles, repeating the same things over and over. And Mori, she made one extremely baffling decision that was completely bizarre and obviously counter-productive and we never got an answer as to why she did it. The detective and her arc were weak, especially the conclusion. In fact, another plotline concluded very weakly as well, and that was Kotoura and her estranged mother. It's like the writers realised that they only had the final episode to resolve it and so crammed it in, with little to no regard for making it seem sincere.

But the show's worst part was undoubtedly the first ten minutes, which were so disgustingly manipulative and filled with the most over-wrought melodrama that I almost dropped it then and there. The stupidity of those ten minutes aside, it was all so fake. And that's the show's defining problem; it's fake. A very good fake, with some moments of genuine and touching drama. But even as it tells us that Manabe should be applauded for being honest and sincere, the show is so manipulative that Jun Maeda would be beaming with pride. All stories wants us to feel something, true, but there's a vast gulf of difference between showing us a sad scene or a touching story and actually shouting at the viewer "THIS GIRL SAD. YOU FEEL SAD TOO!". For those first ten minutes, and in several other scenes, the show was so intent on getting us to feel something that it forgot to actually make a genuine emotional connection. Instead of feeling sympathetic for Kotoura I could only seethe in irritation and disgust for how fake and off-putting the drama was.

It's a real shame, because there's so much about this show that I actually like. It's quite funny even with the "perverts are good" spiel, a lot of the drama and character interactions are great, the characters grow and improve and become a tight-knit circle of friends who can accept one another for whom they are, and I like how adorable it is. The art style is quite cute, especially the faces. This was an otherwise good show that was seriously let down by a few plot lines that were tied off in too-quick-and-dirty a fashion, and some scenes which royally screwed up the emotional connection. Though it probably deserves to be a rating grade lower, I'll be a touch generous here, because I'm impressed with how the show managed to draw me in despite myself.
"
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:58 am Reply with quote
I think Kumiko got forgiven a bit too easily. Kotoura spoiler[only had one line of reasoned anger to shout at her and then a pillow fight] and it was over. Amazing how the bags and lines in Kumiko's face disappeared.

What mindset makes a six-year-old responsible for an adult;s behavior to the point that the seventeen-year-old version of that six-year-old thinks "I was such a child!"

Oh, well. It was a cute-girl comedy after all.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Manabe is hard to like, being a perverted moron whose dirty thoughts makes him the designated punching bag.

But he never did anything, all he did was think, there were situations that he could have done something but he always let them slide because he is not actually a pervert. Lots of guys have thoughts, thinking is not a crime, nore should someone be punished for thinking, I took a lot of his actions to be just messing with her, he actually lost interest in his fantasies when she could not read them.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:29 am Reply with quote
Cute show. I'll probably rate it "good" even though it definitely had flaws. I'm glad Kotoura got spoiler[a reconciliation of sorts with her Momz and a smooch from Manabe. I would have liked to have seen 4-eyes show Prez a little love,] but maybe in the sequel if there is one?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
damn it spoiler[Kumiko], now it's harder to hate you. The spoiler[pillow fight] was hilarious, though im not certain how the audience was supposed to react to it. That was a nice show and I liked everything about it, even the first 10 minutes of episode 1. I'll give it a good
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 14 of 14