• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (My Little Monster) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ironic, isn't it? Especially since he is so keen to enter a certain kind of bush.
Laughing
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Ironic, isn't it? Especially since he is so keen to enter a certain kind of bush.
Laughing

He's going to have to extract the broom handle first. I for one doubt he can do it, but Haru can.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Ep 12

Nice an episode that mostly had to do with my favorite character, Natsume. She was so kawaii getting embarassed when Sasayan said she was in love with Michan and when she got teary eyes because she was lonely and when she declared her hatred for guys and wanting her own little kingdom. Good Stuff. So she let the cat out of the bag and spoiler[technically confessed to Michan, but got a silent response].
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

So all Haru needed to give Shizuku some space was for spoiler[her to promise to do something later with him (a picnic) later.] Although it really looks a little too effective, Haru is barely worried. Natsume spoiler[is not exactly happy with it, but at she got to hang with Haru, although is avoiding Micchan]. Well Natsume had another incident of spoiler[a guy hitting on her] that she hates, I quite like how that scene played out, especially with Sasayan seemed to give her some nice advice.

Well through it all she was rather spoiler[lonely about being by herself], and the actual fact that Shizuku accepted Natsume's idea is a testiment to how much she has changed. Although she seems to be having some different feelings about what her best friends getting together would mean for her friendship. I like how Haru was happily talked about reading a book on gorilas, and then was shouting facts about gorilas at those people was fighting with.

Lol at Haru's and Shizuku's expression at the sunset.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I didn't understand the bit after the credits spoiler[(where Natsume takes a pic of Haru and Shizuku sleeping) - was that taken later that morning after they all went home from the batting centre?] I know this sounds weird, but I almost got the sense that we were seeing spoiler[an alternative history - one where Sasayan's call to Natsume didn't go through.] But that wouldn't make any sense, right? The show wasn't trying to tell us that spoiler[all the events at the shrine and at the batting centre were just in Natsume's head,] was it?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
It does seem outside the way the story has been told thus far. But yeah, it was weird.

I'm at the point where, if she's not going to make a stink about it, I kind of think Shizuku deserves every elbow to the face she gets.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I didn't understand the bit after the credits spoiler[(where Natsume takes a pic of Haru and Shizuku sleeping) - was that taken later that morning after they all went home from the batting centre?] I know this sounds weird, but I almost got the sense that we were seeing spoiler[an alternative history - one where Sasayan's call to Natsume didn't go through.] But that wouldn't make any sense, right? The show wasn't trying to tell us that spoiler[all the events at the shrine and at the batting centre were just in Natsume's head,] was it?

its all in time. they eat -sleep- wake up/freak out-go out. credits: back to just after eating as they slept.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I guess I don't understand why the show spoiler[decided to go back and show us that part,] then. The significance is lost on me.

@Yttrbio - agreed. I thought about bitching about that stupid scene, but I'm just too weary of fighting against this particular running "gag."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
But didn't Natsume get the call to go to the shrine spoiler[after 1am, well Shizuku said it was after 1, and the first time that Sasayan called had to be at midnight.] So it was set during a cut between scenes.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
natsume was up first before the call woke up shizuku
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:03 am Reply with quote
Try this:

Director: OK, that's a wrap for this episode.

Producer: Wait a minute. We are 45 seconds short on running time!

Director: Oops!

Producer: I can't take it to broadcast like this -- fill in another forty seconds.

Disheveled animator: We can stick that picture-taking scene after the credits. We drew it but didn't use it.

Director: But that's out of the storyboard.

Producer: I like it. We can pretend its a flashback. But we need another 15 seconds and we don't have time to draw anything new.

Animator: Well, we can just use a background shot and put dialog over it. The chicken is missing ---.

And so on. Something like that. I don't think the process of creating these anime under deadline is as pre thought-out and orderly as you guys seem to think it is.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:22 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

My interpretation was that spoiler[everything that happened at the shrine was Natsume's dream, which completely frustrated me. She dreamt that she got a phone call at one, but in reality she missed Sasahara's midnight phone call, and none of that happened.] However, I was discussing this with someone else, and she thinks spoiler[it wasn't a dream due to the differing times.] I hope they address this next episode so that they can clear up this confusion.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
My favorite line of ep 12:
Natsume: "What did you do over Christmas?"
Haru: "I read a book. Gorillas are awesome!"

It was a reminder of how sweet and innocent Haru acts. It was so in line with the random interests kids pick up sometimes, and it made me laugh. spoiler[bringing it back up by having Haru yell out gorilla facts while he was fighting a kid at the shrine was cute, too.]

It was funny seeing Yamaken back in his badboy act after spending last ep in his head. Yes, the straight-A student who wouldn't hurt a fly and gets lost in the library is *such* a gansta! Very Happy

Natsume's a sweetheart, and I felt for her this episode. spoiler[I'm glad she was able to speak up to Mi-Chan after avoiding him for so long. I just hope he let's her down easy next week. I took his silence as surprise, and then she walked away before he could figure out what to say without hurting her feelings.

Big question: what the heck is Sasayan up to? What was the "plan" he was referring to? I think sticking the "cut" scene after the credits was to build up some suspense around Sasayan for next week. Maybe ep 13 we'll be following him around...not the best idea for a finale, but he's the only character they haven't done in depth. Or it could've been a production error, who knows?

Taking bets--will Natsume:
A. Keep that picture to herself;
B. Use it for blackmail
C. Post it to her website
D. Use it to force Yamaken to back off from Mitty

I wanna see her use it for blackmail somehow. It's not exactly in character for her, but it has the most comic potential]
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:43 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
My favorite line of ep 12:
Natsume: "What did you do over Christmas?"
Haru: "I read a book. Gorillas are awesome!"

It was a reminder of how sweet and innocent Haru acts. It was so in line with the random interests kids pick up sometimes, and it made me laugh. spoiler[bringing it back up by having Haru yell out gorilla facts while he was fighting a kid at the shrine was cute, too.]

It was funny seeing Yamaken back in his badboy act after spending last ep in his head. Yes, the straight-A student who wouldn't hurt a fly and gets lost in the library is *such* a gansta! Very Happy

Natsume's a sweetheart, and I felt for her this episode. spoiler[I'm glad she was able to speak up to Mi-Chan after avoiding him for so long. I just hope he let's her down easy next week. I took his silence as surprise, and then she walked away before he could figure out what to say without hurting her feelings.

Big question: what the heck is Sasayan up to? What was the "plan" he was referring to? I think sticking the "cut" scene after the credits was to build up some suspense around Sasayan for next week. Maybe ep 13 we'll be following him around...not the best idea for a finale, but he's the only character they haven't done in depth. Or it could've been a production error, who knows?

Taking bets--will Natsume:
A. Keep that picture to herself;
B. Use it for blackmail
C. Post it to her website
D. Use it to force Yamaken to back off from Mitty

I wanna see her use it for blackmail somehow. It's not exactly in character for her, but it has the most comic potential]

the plan: spoiler[he setup the rooftop for his friend to see natsume again but she decided to confess to her love who really didn't see it coming and they don't make it clear he even caught on totally. his kind of stopping smoking is iffy. ]
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:34 am Reply with quote
I didn't find that last scene confusing. I was thinking the same thing that dragoneyes001 was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 18