• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Assassination Classroom (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote

This episode is the one which answers a lot of questions about Koro-Sensei, Yukimura Aguri and Shirou's obsession with killing the target. Koro-Sensei certainly wasn't lying when he said he could destroy the world by the designated time, just not in the way most people would expect.

I thought the animators did a great job with the all-important scene convincing Koro-Sensei to take up the teacher's profession. Nice use of the insert song to set the mood further.

Next week is again a good arc to watch, after all spoiler[fans would dearly love to see the class of assassins turn on each other since not everyone is going to agree with Nagisa about trying to find a way to save their beloved teacher. ]
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 16:

That was great, a different mood of storytelling for Koro-sensei and about his past. I love the way the OST was used as well that supplemented well with some of the more emotional moments.

Kinda interesting to see the real culprit related to the moon destruction as well.

This concludes Koro-sensei's background story so I'm very eager to see what's next.
Can't wait for the OST to be released as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
..a different mood ..

Yeah the mood sure shifted. It had to happen but the joyful fun energy is really on hold for now.

For a long time I have been wondering how these junior high kids can be emotionally on board with actually killing anyone, much less a teacher they like so much and owe so much to. I am sure they were going all out before because they all realized that they couldn't really do it due to his superpowers. But now they have to face it.

It was no surprise that they would think of spoiler[saving rather than killing] Koro-sensei but I guess the rest of the anime will now be devoted as to whether they can actually do it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Mood has been an important part of this series. From the beginning in just selling the idea of teens trying to kill their monster teacher, and it actually be a fun and funny experience. We have had this wait in knowing there was probably more to this monster of a teacher, and we got that cashed in. I think one of my favourite character defining moments was him saying that he wanted to be weak, that his real character defining moments have come from when he could have taken the easy way by straight out killing someone or the like, but he really lets himself also come across as a doofy teacher who will let his students see him as flawed and won't take that easy way. For Koro-sensei, him being uncool makes him cool, like wearing that tie.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote

Civil War part 1. To be expected after Koro-Sensei's revelations over the past weeks and the time the class has spent with him over the academic year.

It's been hinted at over the series, but it's surprising Karma who has pretty much everything stacked in his favour is jealous of the one thing the weakling Nagisa has that he hasn't: the talent for assassination. In some ways it shows up one of Karma's weaknesses in a more realistic way since someone who enjoys taking out regular bullies for cash isn't going to be Mr. Perfect in personality.

Nagisa is himself partly to blame for the spat between the two as he probably should have been more open in acknowledging his talent in front of the whole class. Although it's clear he enjoys the classroom and has clearly benefited from its lessons, Karma does have a point in that his abandoning of the one thing which drives his talent forward does amount to a betrayal of the principles underpinning the class.

As for the battle between the two sides, viewers should not fail to notice how one-sided the conflict should have been with the kill team having more aces up their sleeve. If not for Nagisa's intervention, the red team would have won easily with Karma's command skills doing a brilliant job at suppressing what combat potential the save team had.

Then again, did anyone expect anything else other than a showdown between Karma and Nagisa for next week?
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I find the rivalry developed this week between Karma and Nagisa to be a highlight, quite intriguing now that I look at it carefully. Quite a tense episode.

The first half with the buildup about other characters' motivations to fight is also fairly interesting whether they choose to kill, not kill, or stay neutral. In the meantime, that cliffhanger is getting me very excited for the next episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely magnificent. Great dialog, great action, interesting insights and plenty of laugh lines. And Rio for once gets spoiler[taken down a notch.]

And a new opening -- much better than recent.

BTW, a bit off topic but the first season BD limited edition is available for backorder as of a couple of weeks ago. Has anyone else besides me ordered it?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
I recently got interested in personality types, how people process information and make decisions that is irrespective of whether something is right and wrong, and can come up with different answers. The class being split and having various reasons for thinking a certain way. Karma had a lot of the stronger members, but even the last group was suddenly taken out by Nagisa, his assassination prowess even what is annoying Karma.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:55 am Reply with quote
Sensei really knows his students well - he brought exactly the right number of each color of ammo.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:52 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
he brought exactly the right number of each color of ammo.

Not only ammo bu the exact number and types of weapons. And why did there have to be two boxes for those?

Of course nothing is impossible for Koro-sensei but that sort of thing you just have to overlook.

One last thought about the schism: why not pursue both agendas in parallel?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:42 am Reply with quote
Well, the number of weapons is kind of a given, and by now it seems reasonable that he's learned their preferences for type. But some of the kids themselves didn't know which side they were on, or changed sides before the final decision, and yet he still correctly determined how many red packs to bring and how many blue (including the abstention). Smile
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

One last thought about the schism: why not pursue both agendas in parallel?

Because Karasuma and Koro-Sensei need a unified class or the resources they have won't be enough if they are split. Didn't Karasuma make it clear in his monologue before they started the duel?
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 18:

This was cool, really liked the tension and buildup of the first half and then the duel between Nagisa and Karma.

I think both guys showed the fruits of their training and what they've learned so it made the fight that much more exciting. Good moves with the fight and I think the OST worked quite well too. I'm also really impressed at how much Nagisa has come by now as it cleared showed that he improved. Good stuff.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
The long-awaited duel between the de facto leaders of the two schools of thought. It also shows Karma to be more human and flawed than he's made out to be in the series thus far. Although it's given that Nagisa would never have realised his gifts in the current class environment, is it really that important to crush the one thing he cherishes above the "mundane and normal" existence he would otherwise lead?

What comes next is the series' Deus Ex Machina, since it so happens JAXA have scheduled an unmanned rocket launch into space for the ISS astronauts to get supplies. Which of course means getting two secondary-school students with no previous training prepared for the rigours of space travel by the end of a month. It's fun to watch, but keep the suspension of disbelief active or risk being disappointed.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I think both guys showed the fruits of their training and what they've learned so it made the fight that much more exciting. Good moves with the fight and I think the OST worked quite well too. I'm also really impressed at how much Nagisa has come by now as it cleared showed that he improved. Good stuff.

What I liked was that Karma was vindicated. He had a problem with Nagoya's pose of modesty and it turned out he was right about it.

Also it seems I was vindicated: they are going to pursue both goals after all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 19