• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2009 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Altek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:
So, as is his custom, Zac rails on K-ON and Asura Cryin' (and I'm sure there will be more) because of all their "stereotypical" characters and themes, but he's impressed by Dragonball Z Kai, a straight up edit of a 20 year old show, specifically praising its "high-quality glossy new opening and closing animations set to energetic pop tunes" and easy-to-digest format.

...And the mind boggles.

I like reading Zac's previews, as it's kind of like how Zero Punctuation reviews video games. He will rail on a series that is seriously repetitive and that he dislikes and when something comes around that might not technically be an awesome anime, but yet is enjoyable and entertaining, then he will post the score whatever he feels fit. There is no special code to go by when giving a critical opinion about something. Sure, he might not like some of the shows you like, but that shouldn't influence what you like. Just enjoy what shows you enjoy and let Zac continue to post hilarious previews.

On a side note, I can't wait for DBZ Kai because I just love the formula of Goku going into fights just because he likes fighting, not caring if he's strong enough or not. He's just a bad a** like that.

Last edited by Altek on Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Lol @ Zac mistaking Raditz for Vegeta.

This character has it bad enough without that.

Ah crap, fixed. Man it's been a long weekend.

To add to my earlier comment though, while K-ON! isn't bad and has its charms and I would probably happily recommend it to anyone who has a taste for that sort of thing, Asura Cryin' is straight up garbage, period. If you can't recognize terrible writing when you see it, then that's your problem, it doesn't excuse the show.

god I still have 4 more shows to watch tonight
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably going to pass on Kai since I put in my time with the original. It worked out since it was the first anime that I ever watched, so the pacing wasn't such an issue to me.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
Another Observation: I find the scores for Asura Cryin' and Phantom to be very telling. Both have "mystery" storylines running, but the former gets labeled with confusing and unnecessary, while the latter gets a pass or praise for it. Also, both shows throw a good amount of characters into the first episode. But again AC' gets penalized for this (even while showcasing some of said characters), while Phantom gets the OK. (Phantom just threw them all right at the end) Not that I dislike Phantom, I liked the first episode and am a huge fan for Beetrain.

It must be the priestess outfit that gets ANN's ire. Razz

I really don't think that it makes much sense to compare Phantom and Asura Cryin'. "Mystery" is about the only thing that they have in common. The styles of the shows are completely different and I don't think that they're really in the same genre at all. And as for the type of mystery, I'm betting that Phantom's mysteries will be at the core of the show while most of the mysteries of Asura Cryin' will be revealed fairly quickly. With Asura Cryin', it was more along the lines of "what on earth is going on?" than building up a mystery for the plot of the show. I expect that some of the mysteries will persist (such as what the deal is with the ghost), but since most of them revolve around "what on earth is going on?" in a rather cliched manner, I expect that most of them will be revealed rather quickly.

Phantom looks like it's shaping up to be another classic Bee Train assassin mystery show and I think that it looks quite good thus far, but of course only time will tell. However, I think that it does at least have the potential to be a masterpiece.

As for Asura Cryin', it looks to me like it's going to be a lot of fun. It looks really cool thus far, but it definitely will never qualify as a masterpiece. It has plenty of cliches going and while it may very well turn out to be fairly original - or at least a new take on the genre - it just isn't the kind of show that's going to be all that great. It may be a lot of fun with great stuff in it, but I think that that's mainly what it's got going for it. If you like the kind of show that it is, then you'll probably like it, but otherwise, you'll probably agree with Zac.

For me, I expect that Asura Cryin' will fall into more or less the same category as Elemental Gelade. Elemental Gelade has some new and original stuff, but it's fairly cliched and would never qualify as anything close to a masterpiece. However, it's absolute blast to watch. A show can be fun without being great. I expect that that's how Asura Cryin' is going to go - for me at least.

In any case, I don't think that it makes much sense to compare Phantom and Asura Cryin'. They really don't have much of anything in common.

Last edited by Kalessin on Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Shin Mazinger's first episode is one of the few cases in which that infamous and often all too juvenile term "train wreck" may actually work as a proper description, but that's very much the point.

Considering this as a kind of extended teaser or trailer would be for the best. Trying to make sense of something so over the top and intentionally nonsensical at this point, without any context whatsoever, is probably a bad idea. I enjoyed it on a basic level, but critically speaking this particular episode certainly doesn't deserve a lot of praise.

What the first episode does tell me is that the director, Yasuhiro Imagawa, intends to create a grand epic including many different elements from Go Nagai's various works, just like what he did before with Giant Robo and Mitsuteru Yokoyama's. It's also been suggested that there might be some intentional misdirection thrown into the mix, which makes the result seem even more chaotic.

I don't know if Imagawa's plan, whatever it is, will work out... though there are certainly some interesting ideas which may make enough sense, by the relatively low standards of a Super Robot show, once they are actually properly introduced. For the time being this would score a 2/5 or less, strictly speaking, but I wouldn't really worry just yet.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I might finally watch Dragonball and get what everyone is talking about. Smile
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote
For the life of me, I cannot get into Dragonball anything. It's just...it's just...the same thing over and over again.

I don't know why I can't stand this show; it's just too hard to get into. It feels...

I can't think up any words to describe it. It's just boggling.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
In any case, I don't think that it makes much sense to compare Phantom and Asura Cryin'. They really don't have much of anything in common.

I was only comparing these two shows with regard to how one show got a high rating and the other a low rating for seemingly the same traits in their previews. I wasn't trying to compare the actual shows; I know they both have completely different vibes going, and I like them both.

Quote:
It has plenty of cliches going and while it may very well turn out to be fairly original - or at least a new take on the genre - it just isn't the kind of show that's going to be all that great. It may be a lot of fun with great stuff in it, but I think that that's mainly what it's got going for it.If you like the kind of show that it is, then you'll probably like it, but otherwise, you'll probably agree with Zac.

Yeah, that's what I expect too. I'm probably going to enjoy Asura Cryin' a lot (Kanade is LOVE), and Phantom too. And I'll probably never agree with Zac on most things. (wait, he likes cute animals right? Well there you go, there's one thing Razz)
divinemango

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
So far, this thread reeks of fan dumb. Oh, especially those visionaries who think they can Teach KyoAni how to do animation. Looks like we have some potential future animators here.
Oh, and then there's the logical argument that "it's a matter of personal taste". Apparently this makes it PERFECTLY OK to claim a show has bad animation (oops, am I wrong?). Good thing I always think twice whenever a "professional reviewer" makes such claims.
maaya wrote:
I'm pretty sure the animation in K-On is completely intentional.

THIS SENTENCE alone gives me the IMPRESSION that there are SOME people here who HAVEN'T ALREADY assumed this fact. Oh my FSM. Why couldn't they do it like Haruhi? ;_ ;
Zac wrote:
And then Case is an ass about it in the forums.

Pretty much nothing new, right? I don't suppose you were thinking that he was obliged to praise you in some way, were you?
That said, convincing argument.
animeboy12 wrote:
I hope queen's blade is as bad as everyone says because most of the time when I'd seen an anime seires being bashed on a forum for being "bad it turns out out to be decent

Oh, WHAT AN OBSERVATION, but probably not this forum, right?

I'm pretty sure the internet screwed it for a lot of people who would otherwise have enjoyed Haruhi, Gurren Lagann, Clannad and stuff.
prime_pm wrote:
For the life of me, I cannot get into Dragonball anything.

Relax dude, not like you're forced to get into any of that SJ shit. Because there's always something better for you if you just do a quick search. Seriously, my bro couldn't continue reading just after 3 chapters of Naruto. He says for something so trashy and unoriginal, it's way too popular. Oops, I hope that wasn't a compliment ?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:56 pm Reply with quote
That was a pretty interesting...banging your head on the wall, Zac. However I do find it funny that you like Dragonball Kai pretty well compared to another related movie that you..."reviewed."
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote
^^ The one who needs to relax is you. One does not need to be Van Gogh to be able criticize KyoAni's art without someone like you coming in and making sarcastic remarks. Or do we?

Besides, you whole post reeks of the "it's popular so it must be good" argument, and I really hope it's not serious. If it is, I don't really know what to say.
Ligene

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote
While I'm disappointed that Pandora Hearts didn't fare quite as well as expected with its less than stellar animation and slow start, I'm glad that the script writers are sticking closely to the manga. But yeah, the beginning isn't as interesting as the totally awesome mind raping that occurs later on, and I'm delighted that they bothered with a small detail just recently revealed in the manga - it's doubtful the anime will even reach that far, but the attention to detail is a nice touch nevertheless.

The beginning is confusing, but as you slowly go along everything fits nicely into place like a snug puzzle.

But so far I haven't been interested in much this season - only really Shangri-la, Eden of the East, 07-Ghost and PH. I'll be damned if I watch another KyoAni show after Munto.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
divinemango wrote:
So far, this thread reeks of fan dumb. Oh, especially those visionaries who think they can Teach KyoAni how to do animation. Looks like we have some potential future animators here.
Oh, and then there's the logical argument that "it's a matter of personal taste". Apparently this makes it PERFECTLY OK to claim a show has bad animation (oops, am I wrong?). Good thing I always think twice whenever a "professional reviewer" makes such claims.

Cool the snarky attitude there, pardner. No one - especially not me - is trying to "teach KyoAni how to do animation." I have just emphatically stated what I look for in animation and what I consider "good." Some apparently disagree. You're certainly welcome to disagree, too, but instead of stating your opinion you're just disparaging others. That's not cool.

Quote:
THIS SENTENCE alone gives me the IMPRESSION that there are SOME people here who HAVEN'T ALREADY assumed this fact.

Yes, there are; in fact, I still see it as sloppy rather than "diverse style" regardless of the attempts to explain it off that I have seen. Again, what's with the attitude here?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Amaya no Hime

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quote
I was looking forward to Shin Mazinger but it looks pretty bad. I suppose I'll wait for a few more episodes to see whether I'm watching it or not.

Shangri-La and Natsu no Arashi look good. I also really can't wait for Higashi no Eden to come out. I think it's going to be one of the best of the season.

FMA's first episode wasn't as bad as everyone's making it out to be. I think they just didn't want to start the exact same way as the original.
kadian1364

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quote
"EPIC SELFDRAW FROM SUPPLEMENT TILES" pretty much sums up the Saki experience. I appreciate the turns-of-ridiculous-play-followed-by-godly-impossible-draws-reinforced-with-over-the-top-action bits, it made me go O_o, but most of the lingo (Crunchyroll's footnotes not helpful in the least) just soared above my head and made me go O_o in a completely different way. Not only do I not know anything about Mahjong, now I am deathly afraid to even try to learn the game!

As for FMA 2, some of us have sky-high expectations, and I for one was not at all disappointed with the first episode. That's not to say I liked every last bit, but through and through it was exciting and fun to watch.

One last thing,

Tenchi wrote:
But will Ritsu's "Hail Mary" pass be able to penetrate the Steelers' defense? Wink

This made my day. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 44