• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim's Toonami Block Returns Tonight

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I doubt that Toonami is gonna go exclusively after old shows once they can add more. A little hint of old school to go with new stuff seems more like what they'd want to do. I highly doubt even they would think anyone would be looking to catch a premiere past 2am eastern time. Toonami is basically starting from scratch, past greatness is irrelevant here. If we want it to be better, and to last for at least another 10+ years, then it needs all the support it can get.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Farix

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
#SUPPORTTOONAMI! Remember People if we want this to work, expand and get more shows (like DBZ and the other stuff all you whiny man-children want to see on TV again, or for the first time) Watch, tell your friends & family, and heck even your pets to watch!

Remember better ratings = more $$$ & Timeslots for the block!

The time for DBZ is long over. And encouraging your friend and family to watch isn't going to increase the ratings unless one of your friends or family members are part of the Nielsen survey sample.

But one of the things that made Toonami successful was that it continually refreshed its content, replacing old shows that were in reruns with new shows. Which is why I don't think tonights broadcast is going to be as successful as most people are hoping.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, it doesn't look like I'll be able to "do my part" in contributing to ratings. Here at my (& my parent's) house, where I'm staying the summer, we haven't gotten Cartoon Network in ages through Dish, and the alternate cable plan they had recently chosen doesn't include it.

It's too bad, too. Having missed Tom's bumpers live from the whole April 1st showing (which I missed completely), I'd like to have at least seen those... and more importantly, the Deadman Wonderland dub. Already saw the whole series on CR last year, but I wouldn't have minded seeing at least some of it again. (Even with the bad first impression I've gotten from Greg Ayres' Ganta, who spoke a few lines in a brief preview clip that was put on the [as] site.) But hey, [as] will probably stream the first episode after its premiere sometime soon, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
The one millions time they played cowboy bebop
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh I know, I was just using DBZ as an example, lol. But yeah I too would prefere more new content, classics are good to, but not till later on, I really do hope for the best for the block, and hope it can continue to build a better cartoon show for another 11 years *knock on wood*

Also Steve Blum Posted a little YT vid about the revival tonight. Pretty neat. Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhQeZi8zn5E&feature=youtu.be
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
The one millions time they played cowboy bebop

To be precise, it will be 11 years without a major interruption in September. TV land isn't this bad.
YoSoyJaponesa

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Gonna DVR it and going to a screening party later.
I'm also excited that they'll be showing Home Movies at 8 CST too. (At least that's what it says on my program guide) Very Happy
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
But I'm asleep by then... I'm a sleepy person. But I'll try to at least turn on the TeleV for a while to raise the ratings.
Gage

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Was extremely pleased to find out about this! Watching Toonami when I was younger was pretty well ritualistic, heh.
Jawa Talisien

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see them trying to bring back toonami. But im mildly disapointed :/ i get that they dont have a lot of money but i hope they return to the classic midnight run style of having 6 hours of shows VS this 3 hours repeating crap :\ that annoys me.

I havnt actualy watched the adult swim block since it went main stream every night, But i plan to check out the return of toonami Smile i just hope they dont screw it up again. I wonder how many of the old shows Cartoon network has the rights to run still, some of the old shows like sailor moon seem to be doing well on the manga market, and its been off the air long enough if they still have the rights to it theres a whole new generation of viewers that havnt seen it. going WAY back might prove better then re-useing Adult swim classics.

Original Toonami mission statement "to bring you (the viewer) the best in Japanese Anime and action cartoons" atleast that what Tom use to say Anime smile hope they stick to that.

Do you think we will get Classic tom (the one with the gut) or Tom MK-II?
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Jawa Talisien wrote:

It will be a slight variant of TOM 3. (Old footage of TOM 3 was used for the April Fool's stunt)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Jawa Talisien wrote:

revised TOM 3.0 has been confirmed

In other news, was I the only one who giggled like a school girl listening to Steve Blum's youtube vid? Can't wait to see the absolution grace my screen again.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll watch it tonight. Smile
Farix

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Jawa Talisien wrote:
Glad to see them trying to bring back toonami. But im mildly disapointed :/ i get that they don't have a lot of money but i hope they return to the classic midnight run style of having 6 hours of shows VS this 3 hours repeating crap :\ that annoys me.

Actually, I think it would be best to reduce the block to 3 hours. It allows the block to appear more focused and will likely increase the ratings of all of the shows since there will be no repeats.

Jawa Talisien wrote:
I havnt actualy watched the adult swim block since it went main stream every night, But i plan to check out the return of toonami Smile i just hope they don't screw it up again. I wonder how many of the old shows Cartoon network has the rights to run still, some of the old shows like sailor moon seem to be doing well on the manga market, and its been off the air long enough if they still have the rights to it theres a whole new generation of viewers that havnt seen it. going WAY back might prove better then re-useing Adult swim classics.

I don't think [as] or Cartoon Network has the broadcast rights to anything beyond what they are already airing or about to air.

Jawa Talisien wrote:

I'm hoping for Tom 3.0, as we seen in the April 1st teaser. But so long as it is not Tom 4.0.
AnimeDuelist15

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Deadman Wonderland and Bleach are the best shows on the lineup. I am a huge DW fan so I can't wait to see how they did with the dub. I will be tuning in for sure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15