• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
All About Licensing Part II: The Contract

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading both articles and I'm amazed licensing anime is not easy, also I've liked the article it helped me understand how getting anime in the state is not easy and I can understand how complicated licensing anime can get.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
This is really interesting and illuminating, can't wait to read Part III!
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
This is really interesting and illuminating, can't wait to read Part III!

Me too!!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dakaran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote
That's what I'm looking for when I read an article. Thank you for sharing this. :p
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
Reverse importation is seriously a non-issue but blown out to be one, like piracy. They got so many other market factors to consider before considering these.

While I don't have any facts or anything, but... would you rather pay 60 dollars (including the shipping cost) or 400 dollars for a TV series?

While I don't think it effects the biggest name series in Japan very much, since people want them right away and love them... what about the lower tier stuff? The anime they enjoyed but not enough to buy? Waiting for it to be dirt cheap in America seems like a logical thing to do instead of paying 400 bucks for the Japanese release.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote
If you're Japanese otaku, what sounds better:

A release spread over multiple discs to keep up quality, postcards, special cover art from the original creator used as an LE slip cover, posters, CDs and lots and lots on disc extras that can include interviews with the staff and/or the voice actresses they idolize?

Or plastics discs in a plastic case with some extras, but ones that are mostly created by the American company like VA commentary or outtakes, limited cover art (sometimes photoshopped...poorly), and sometimes a dinky little item?

Japanese otaku are the ones that buy stuff and keep the industry afloat, and I'd wager a bet that they aren't the ones importing from other regions. I imagine it's the mainstream audience that's importing from elsewhere, but if Japanese companies are going keep charging 400+ dollars for anime releases and keep making shows that primarily target Japanese otaku, they don't really have anyone to blame but themselves.

Though, I'm of the mind that I don't think they should be concerned about what the mainstream Japanese audience does anyways since they put very little back into the industry, if any (or at least any of note). If a guy is willing to wait 2-3 years after the initial JP solicitations go up for a stripped down, cheapo set, then trying to "trap" them into buying your way expensive sets by blocking international licensors is idiotic since they'll just go without. It just seems like they'd make more money from selling the license with BD rights and royalites than hoping and praying non-otaku flip a switch they don't have and start dropping money on anime releases. The mainstream audiecne isn't just going to go, "Whelp, I can't import this show on BD for $50 from America, I guess I'll just go ahead and drop $400 for the domestic release." Hell, I doubt DVD-only releases phase these kinds of people anyways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Well there you go then. I didn't know NTSC wouldn't play PAL video, because the reverse is not true. I have several R1 NTSC import DVDs and they play fine on my PAL region free player.

For a specific example, the UK PS3 will happily play Japanese R2 NTSC DVDs, but the Japanese PS3 will refuse point blank to play PAL DVDs. There's also the factor that UK releases have historically been so far behind the US release and even lower in quality since, prior to the days of HD masters, they were mostly NTSC>PAL conversions. OTOH...

jsevakis wrote:
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
Reverse importation is seriously a non-issue but blown out to be one, like piracy. They got so many other market factors to consider before considering these.

You don't know this, nobody does. There's never been a study as to how widespread this issue is, to my knowledge.

Anecdotally, I've seen a few Japanese fans who went to AX and were WAAAY too excited to meet Shawne Kleckner, if you get my drift. (Not that he's not an exciting guy, but...)

Also anecdotally: http://schoolgirlmilkycrisis.com/blog/?p=2674 (no, I don't get paid for this)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Obviously that it is a "good thing" is your opinion. Otherwise why would Nozomi and samuelp include them?

The translation should be done from the perspective of the character in that universe, not if he were transposed to an American culture, as if we were hearing him speak as an American.

How do you feel about the omission of honorifics when the "real" language of the characters obviously isn't Japanese, such as Baccano! or Gunslinger Girl, and neither is the culture?
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
configspace wrote:

Obviously that it is a "good thing" is your opinion. Otherwise why would Nozomi and samuelp include them?

The translation should be done from the perspective of the character in that universe, not if he were transposed to an American culture, as if we were hearing him speak as an American.

How do you feel about the omission of honorifics when the "real" language of the characters obviously isn't Japanese, such as Baccano! or Gunslinger Girl, and neither is the culture?

Following the principle of "in-universe perspective" Baccano is done from an American perspective, so for example, most of the time with first names but in a few formal and less familiar situations, Mr/Mrs, and in others, usually non-personal references, last name only, rather than first name. However, in special cases like referring to judges in court, honorific titles like "Your Honor" should be used.

So likewise for Gunsliger Girl, should be done from perspective of Italians, with Italian honorifics where appropriate, and none where it's not.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
No good translation should include straight-up honorifics*, IMO, because there's ways to translate the subtleties without being lazy/a weeaboo and just straight-up honorifics.

*: I have read many good translations that use honorifics, but I've also read many that don't.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I agree, Don Chagen46 san.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
No good translation should include straight-up honorifics*, IMO, because there's ways to translate the subtleties without being lazy/a weeaboo and just straight-up honorifics.

I don't agree. I do not believe the Nozomi translation of Maria-sama ga Miteru is a lazy weeaboo translation, and yet the honorifics easily and concisely convey the stratified first / second / third year society of a Japanese high school.

But I would no wish the subtitle with honorifics to be the only choice ~ I watch a bit of kdrama, but I would not really want to invest the time to get on top of Korean honorifics.

And retaining honorifics in an evidently heavily westernized space colony would be silly.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, there's a time and place for honorifics, but it's very easy to look horribly stilted and unnatural seeing a Japanese semantic distinction piled on top of an English translation.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Well, there's a time and place for honorifics, but it's very easy to look horribly stilted and unnatural seeing a Japanese semantic distinction piled on top of an English translation.

No, it doesn't. It's completely natural to hear them and see them on the screen. This is hardly a concept exclusive to western fans of Japanese cartoons, either. The great American motion picture classic The Godfather (which I recently saw for the first time, hence why it's still fresh in my mind) used Italian words in the subtitles (most notably, 'paisan'). Francis Ford Coppala and co-writer Mario Puzo felt it better conveyed the story by leaving these mannerisms in alone. Are these great film makers now 'lazy' and 'uncreative' because they believe different from another man? No.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I find it hilarious how you're getting all mad at me for my subjective opinion.

ANYWAY, take a look at this sentence: "Hey, Aoi-chan, I'm gonna meet Wakamoto-san and Kenchi-kun at the arcade today..."

Does that look natural to you? Hell no. It HURT to type that sentence, I felt like such a weeaboo. Anyway, my point is that keeping in honorifics can result in farcical-looking dialogue like that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4