• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Video Game Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyougaZell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:53 am Reply with quote
Dissapointed that Atlus wasn't in the list.

And how come niche titles like Star Ocean make the poll, when series like the Shin Megami Tensei or Tales series aren't there. Was it just because Star Ocean was developed by Enix and killed by SquareEnix?
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote
@people "missing" the survey.

See that tab titled "my ANN" in the upper right? Hover over it. The "surveys" option is visible. Click it. Select the first item on the list.

Enjoy!
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote
yuna49, did you try coming at it directly from the front page? The link from the talkback page here doesn't get me to the survey, but the front page link does.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:07 am Reply with quote
RE: Lack of link - I'm not having any trouble getting to the survey. There's a link right where it says "Video Game Survey" to the Surveys page, it's the first one.

RE: Lack of Atlus/SMT/Tales/etc - Bamboo said that they're looking more at bigger publishers, because ANN already knows that people are interested in the more niche stuff.

RE: Used PC games - For digital games like Steam or Origin or such, no, you can't have a used game. But for discs with physical media, you can, provided a) the CD Key is unused (or has been cracked), or b) there is no Key required (common for older, offline-only games). I myself borrow my roommate's Age of Empires, which has been installed on at least 4 computers (her old PC, her old laptop, her newer laptop, and my newer laptop. Unfortunately, both of the latter died... so it will have to be installed on 2 more laptops).

Since most newer games are online and require CD Keys, places like Gamestop won't take them, since they're not usable.

[ETA]
One question I wish was on there, however, that isn't, is "would you be open to adding anime/manga-related video games to the encyclopedia?" There are so many anime/manga-related games, that share staff/cast with anime, or are directly related, that it would be so nice to have them with entries in the encyclopedia. Like, Fate/stay night's VN, so that the proper relations can be done.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
yuna49, did you try coming at it directly from the front page? The link from the talkback page here doesn't get me to the survey, but the front page link does.

Thanks. I never start with the front page. I have a bookmark to the "new forum posts since last login" search link. I'm only interested in the forums and only read the associated articles if they're linked at the top of a forum thread I'm reading. I don't think I've looked at "My ANN" in months, or even years.

I do think that if the admins reference an article in the forum, it ought to either take you to the appropriate destination or at least show a link to the destination. I can't be the only person here who doesn't start at the home page.

I like how the notion of purchasing a game more than six months after its release isn't even considered in the options. I've often waited until a game is re-packaged at a lower price point which usually doesn't happen until a year or so has passed. I'll also just mention that I use a "Windows PC," but I don't use Windows.

I'm a bit surprised not to see Dragon Age in the list of titles.

Now other than trying to build some data to attract video game advertisers, what was the point of this survey again?

Last edited by yuna49 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:39 am; edited 3 times in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:21 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
I only answered the last two questions, and I hope my survey results aren't dismissed because I didn't answer any others.
Your survey answers will be dropped.

Your personal income level doesn't matter to us, and is none of our business. The average income level of our readers is very important to us, and without that information we can't sell ads.

We don't link survey answers to people. Even if you had filled out the survey, I wouldn't be able to go back and see which answers belonged to you.

animenewsnetwork.com/privacy-policy

Still, if a survey asks questions you aren't comfortable answering, it is your prerogative not to participate in the survey. I just wanted to make it clear why we ask for the info and how it is stored.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote
I've added a link to the survey directly from the article text for people who aren't reading the article on the front page. Thank you for pointing that out.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
I guess it is important for non-gamers to participate, so I did.

I technically had to admit owning franchise games for MK and Mario (I have a Super NES packed away in a corner).

Had to round down to "never" for how often I purchase PC games. I bought a Scrabble game this year and Tales of Monkey Island a couple years ago, a couple Hoyle bargain packs before that...

...what category is Monkey Island? Isn't it like adventure/puzzle or something? Only thing I'd bother buying at full price.

And my indie/other company I "follow" is Telltale Games (I've never bothered to unsubscribe to their monthly newsletter).... publisher of Monkey Island games and a couple other adventure/ puzzlers I'd consider
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Northlander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
Like most surveys, the whole thing was kinda-relevant and not really helpful in pegging my overall taste in games. (As in, like the poster above, I only answered Mortal Kombat because I once bought the second game for the Sega Genesis.) And while I do appreciate some one-on-one fighting games like the Street Fighter series, I have far more love for the side scrolling fighter. (Final Fight, Knights of the Round or Castle Crashers if you need something a bit more recent.) Those count as "fighters", right? Or is that "adventure"?
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
Kind of shocked that Bioware, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect weren't included in this survey with the lists. Those would have been ones that I definitely checked off.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
RyougaZell wrote:

And how come niche titles like Star Ocean make the poll, when series like the Shin Megami Tensei or Tales series aren't there. Was it just because Star Ocean was developed by Enix and killed by SquareEnix?

The list of franchises was culled from a list of best-selling (millions of units sold) franchises world-wide. I can extrapolate what types of games our users play/don't play just based on the survey results given. The list is not meant to be all-inclusive. That would be onerous and impossible.

There is a strange sentiment running through this thread that, "Because the exact video game that I play is not on this survey list, this survey is worthless."
a) Your forum responses are very valuable to us.
b) Your survey participation is very valuable to us, so thank you.
c) I already know that anime fans play anime-related video games. What I don't know is if anime fans also play FPSs or driving games. If we learn that the vast number of our readers don't play FPSs, for example, then we will be less likely to cover them.

I would rather not make assumptions on what our readers like and do not like. Hell, I play a ton of Call of Duty and Madden-- if I were to tailor our content based on my tastes alone, it would be very skewed indeed. Hence, user surveys.

There is nothing cynical about this survey. That list is not all-inclusive. It is just a survey, and we thank you for participating.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Since when can you buy computer games used?

Yeah, I spotted that too. I had to reread the question since I wasn't sure I read it right.

go to a local flea market, good will or 2nd hand store and you can shockingly buy computer games used that don't need "gasp drm through steam or origin". Insert more sarcasm here <-----
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I'd be curious to see that list, Bamboo. If it's the one at Wikipedia, I'll just point out that since it's divided up by platform, a game that comes in under a million units on multiple platforms won't appear anywhere in the list. If it's the list at vgchartz, it doesn't allow you to sort by year, so we cannot see which games are currently most popular, and it's dominated by the various Nintendo titles. Even if we restrict that list to a genre like "role-playing" which may be more popular among anime viewers than some others, the top titles are all from franchises like Pokemon.

I, for one, was also surprised to see Star Ocean on the list and Bioware series like Dragon Age and Mass Effect not. I'll just observe that the vgchartz list shows a larger franchise total for Dragon Age than for Star Ocean, and that Star Ocean's sales come largely from two installments released back in 1998 and 2003. I think the exclusion of Mass Effect from the list is especially striking since vgchartz reports total franchise sales worldwide of 11 million units.

I didn't check the EA box despite owning a number of Bioware titles because I think of Bioware as the developer. EA is a huge entity with games like Madden, that I'll never play, as well as RPGs like Dragon Age or Mass Effect. So, to me, checking the EA box tells you little about my tastes.

I know from experience that open-ended responses are a pain in the neck to code. Still if you had given people the option to list three favorite games, or perhaps their three favorites from the past few years, it would have helped quell criticisms of the alternatives offered in the fixed-choice lists. It might even have been informative, too!
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

I know from experience that open-ended responses are a pain in the neck to code. Still if you had given people the option to list three favorite games, or perhaps their three favorites from the past few years, it would have helped quell criticisms of the alternatives offered in the fixed-choice lists. It might even have been informative, too!

I agree. Unfortunately, I didn't think of it at the time, and it's hard to retroactively implement feedback for a survey. However, that's what the forums are for, and they also give us valuable information.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

One question I wish was on there, however, that isn't, is "would you be open to adding anime/manga-related video games to the encyclopedia?" There are so many anime/manga-related games, that share staff/cast with anime, or are directly related, that it would be so nice to have them with entries in the encyclopedia. Like, Fate/stay night's VN, so that the proper relations can be done.

That's a good suggestion. We'll ask about that next time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6