• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimations Adds My Bride Is A Mermaid! Comedy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't care what it's called, realy. because it has the greatest Hearm protagonest ever.

A man who is actauly responcible for his actions.

For the most part.
magicalgirlj

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
one word sweet, I will be picking this one up
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
JairStout wrote:
Special A and Rosario + Vampire I hope come from FUNi's Gonzo blitz next.

Special A was nothing special, it would just be obligation at that point. The show got nearly no recognition from what I could see when it was airing, thus limited fanbase.

I collect the manga from Viz (and love it!) and saw some of the anime when it was premiering and thought it was pretty good. I know it's fairly unheard of, but hell, if Dragonaut can get licensed, anything's possible!
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
what I really hope is that Funi doesn't fail to learn the lessons of ADV, ie. licensing averything that moves...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
what I really hope is that Funi doesn't fail to learn the lessons of ADV, ie. licensing averything that moves...

And then dub it and then bitch at the fanbase when we don't buy it.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:

Yes, but most of the licenses are Gonzo titles. Judging from FUNi's past history with them and in light of the huge layoffs, I bet they got all this Gonzo inventory for a song.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ArthurFrDent wrote:

I'd comment on this, but a certain thread that got locked is where I said all that needed to be said. Rolling Eyes
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ArthurFrDent wrote:

I'd comment on this, but a certain thread that got locked is where I said all that needed to be said. Rolling Eyes

Go ahead and blame fansubs, but I was referring to that we might not want to buy all the crappy shows they're going to be putting out, and dubbing is only losing more money in the process.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to hold off on bitching about them until the legal CoA. But regardless...this is cute, like I said, but if it's harem...that automatically means a no-sell for me. I would just feel vile if a harem show ever innocuously crept into my collection.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
People complaining about the title:

How would YOU have made it better? Seriously? It's mentioned that the title is a triple play on words, but how many English speakers would get any of them? Probably just that it matches the characters' family name, but then they wouldn't know what the title meant. My Bride is a Mermaid! conveys the sense of wacky hijinx that the show is all about. It may be a little cheesy, but if you're at all familiar with the show, you'd know that fits perfectly with the series. The only other apropiate descriptor missing is the yakuza aspect, but that's not implied in the original title either.

I would say at least include San Seto's name in the title somewhere....

Next title I see licensed is Strike Witches.....I wonder how that will pass in the US audience with people wearing essentially no pants 24/7, especially the R-17 pantsu episode which does involve explicitly showing nude lolis to the max.

Quote:
I'm going to hold off on bitching about them until the legal CoA. But regardless...this is cute, like I said, but if it's harem...that automatically means a no-sell for me. I would just feel vile if a harem show ever innocuously crept into my collection.

It's more like a reverse harem where other girls are trying to PREVENT the male protagonist's engagement by any means necessary, including death Anime hyper And lots of moe chibi moments of San while we're at it.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Cool! This show was hillarious! I am looking forward to being able to buy the boxed sets when they come out!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
When this comes out via dvd, I'll probably rent this. From what I see, the show looks like it has a vilbrate group.

Hopefully Funimation will license a slice of life show, like Sketchbook. None the less, I am already buying the new eva movie 1.0 in november, so I am very pleased with Funimation. Though I do hope Tiffany Grant is in the new movie, she did a fantatic job.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Awesome news. I was thinking after the last batch Funi announced, "a bunch of Gonzo shows, but not the best one; that's disappointing." But now, we will be getting yakuza mermaids and Terminator dad and everyone else. Good times.
Not to mention the "moe" reference gone wrong! I can just imagine the English VA's having a field day on that episode.

Oh and Masa san~~ Anime exclamation

Last edited by DomFortress on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Masa-san, Shark, Luna, San, Nagasumi, Saru, Zenigata, Maki, Inchou, San's parents, and Luna's dad.

Oh man, I can't wait to own this. I'll be cranking up "Romantic Summer" and "My Gravitation" to the max. Not to mention "The Song of War" Anime hyper
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ArthurFrDent wrote:

Go ahead and blame fansubs, but I was referring to that we might not want to buy all the crappy shows they're going to be putting out, and dubbing is only losing more money in the process.

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but each title's mileage varies, and you really don't know what's going to be a hit until you release it (save for a few select titles). An English track, despite costing money, makes titles more accessible for English-speaking customers, thus increasing the chances of turning a profit.

Obviously, the optimal plan is to pick the best titles, but they aren't always there as frequently as one would like. Seto seems to me like it's notable enough that it would already have a group of people that would buy it on the spot. This doesn't necessarily make the show good (S.A. seemed more interesting), but "quality" and "profit" can work with some mutual exclusion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9