• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bad moments in good anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
moonie92 wrote:
But the ending episode of Romeo X Juliet was terrible.
spoiler[Magic tree and please let me die with you because I'm too useless to carry on by myself. ] Really? Juliet was such a strong female character too.

Curse of the source material, which I hated so much I've never bothered with the anime. Wink

Yes, the tragic end of the source material did constrain what the writers could do there, but you're off the mark on Juliet's situation, moonie92. spoiler[The last few episodes made it pretty clear that Juliet's sacrifice was necessary to save Neo Verona, and Romeo's efforts to rescue her from the tree and Ophelia don't change that. Romeo's presence allows her to go out in a burst of glory rather than in painful, lonely suffering.]

One-Eye wrote:
Also while I enjoyed most of the past season of Dusk Maiden of Amnesia the total chicken out at the (spoiler[at first she fades away moving on to the afterlife, but no instead of a heartfelt bittersweet ending they bring her back because they have no balls]) end left me furious and knocked it off my must buy list.

I wasn't crazy about it, either, but at least they applied some logic to it and the rest of the series is entirely too good for that one moment to throw me off of it. Given how unpromising the summer season is looking on the quality front, DMoA is still a contender for my Top 5 honors at the end of the year.

And while I don't hate Hanasaku Iroha's episode 3 to anywhere near the degree that many others do, I do agree that it's a hiccup in an otherwise-great series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
I guess the ending in Ghost Hound, it is just tragic to see a show with great ideas and beautiful directing end in such a predictable and stupid way.
The ecchi moments in 11 episode of Sankarea.It ruined the show for me,I could tolerate up until that point but in an episode that was suppose to be shocking and heartwarming(and it sorta was for me)why did director feel necessary to put Rankos boobs in it(I am not sure but I think money is the reason).
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
I really love Chrono Crusade but...

spoiler[The part where Chrono "kills" Aion was SO BAD. It was just.....very anti-climatic. Actually the last four episodes were awful, starting from when Rosette got brainwashed. I mean, really,Gonzo!?]

I agree spoiler[with the Chrono/Aion battle, or lack thereof. I mean, they manage to build up Aion to be arguably one of the best villains out there and then they conclude with a confrontation that was barely suitable for an early episode clash with a meaningless grunt? Of course, as it turns out Aion wasn't actually killed, but still, that was the climactic moment and it hardly lived up to even the slightest expectations].

Oh please, compare that to the manga spoiler[where they literally cut out just before the final showdown happens. You see a shot of them charging at each other, then it's suddenly like "10 years later" sort of thing. And this is a manga that had great action sequences up til then and they flat out didn't even show a final battle, not even an hilariously disappointing one like they showed in the anime. Do you pick the most anticlimatic final boss fight ever as the worst thing or cutting out just before it even starts? Also, it cuts out before it even starts, not just the final strike, they cut to black before the damn fight even starts! Yeah, it's a tough choice, but they both clearly messed up that final fight, albeit in uniquely different ways]

Anyway, going to go with the obvious scene in Wings of Honneamise. If you've seen the movie, you know exactly what scene I'm talking about, but in order to not just list stuff off or in case you've not seen the movie in ages and forget: spoiler[that rape scene]. Hell, even if it's been ages since you've seen the movie, odds are you still remember that scene because it practically derailed the entire train.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
spoiler[Do you pick the most anticlimatic final boss fight ever as the worst thing or cutting out just before it even starts?]

That is a tough one. Anime hyper
I suppose spoiler[cutting it out entirely would be worse.] I never actually finished the manga properly though. I sort just skimmed through it to find out what happened to Rosette and Chrono because that's the only part I cared about at that point. Anime hyper *dodges flying rocks*
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
Also while I enjoyed most of the past season of Dusk Maiden of Amnesia the total chicken out at the (spoiler[at first she fades away moving on to the afterlife, but no instead of a heartfelt bittersweet ending they bring her back because they have no balls]) end left me furious and knocked it off my must buy list.

I wasn't crazy about it, either, but at least they applied some logic to it and the rest of the series is entirely too good for that one moment to throw me off of it. Given how unpromising the summer season is looking on the quality front, DMoA is still a contender for my Top 5 honors at the end of the year.
I will agree with that. Even though I was very disappointed with how DMoA, Sankarea, and Kids on the Slope all ended I haven't found anything in this summer season at this time that for me can compete. I'm mainly looking to catch up on my backlog the next few months.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote
The end of Soul Eater. The anime original ending was decent until the very end. I'll admit, it makes sense that you use spoiler[bravery to fight fear, but it was used in such a deus ex machina way.]
The beginning of Another drags so much and takes too long to get started. Once it does get going it's good, but it's hard to get past those first few episodes.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
The beginning of Another drags so much and takes too long to get started. Once it does get going it's good, but it's hard to get past those first few episodes.
I rather enjoyed the beginning of Another, but I chalk it up to marathoning the first 6 episodes so it didn't feel like it dragged too much to me. However, I totally hated the contrived ending.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
I guess the ending in Ghost Hound, it is just tragic to see a show with great ideas and beautiful directing end in such a predictable and stupid way.

+1 I ha such high expectations for the ending, and it was resolved in a really silly way.

From me, the ending of AnoHana.
I found the series really touching, subtle and lovely. And then the ending was just... pretty awfully overdone. Not very subtle at all.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
This is turning into a "Good Anime with endings I don't like" thread.

I don't really have a problem with it, just thought I'd point it out.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but how could you ever refer to something as "bad" without simply expressing your dismay (opinion) about it?

If you say "well, I love series X, but I know it's not all that good", that's a contradiction and an instance of you implying that others' opinions are more "correct" than your own; essentially, using their preferences as a superior object of comparison to your own preferences.

IMO, the final episode of NGE fits the bill, perfectly: weird, random, and the whole spoiler[storyboard animation] scheme was unnecessary.

Probably 98% of all filler in shonen-tournament series

And, the fanservice portions of RahXephon were pretty out of place, when compared to seriousness of the series, as a whole.

It's difficult to think of more off the top.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
If you say "well, I love series X, but I know it's not all that good", that's a contradiction and an instance of you implying that others' opinions are more "correct" than your own; essentially, using their preferences as a superior object of comparison to your own preferences.

There's absolutely nothing contradictory about that statement, as quality and entertainment value are not necessarily one and the same thing. (And yes, this is one of my biggest pet peeves.) I can name several anime and non-anime titles that I've liked - even loved - but would never acknowledge as being "good." And it's not because I'm using someone else's quality valuations as my own, either; I'm just willing to acknowledge that the two factors should be evaluated independently of one another.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
But, then that begs the question as to what you're defining as "good". If you have a sincere great adoration for a work, that means it genuinely resonates with you and fodders your natural, individual tastes. If you refuse to label it as even "good", it means you're appealing to an external standard of quality, as though it is objective, without addressing the origin and basis of this standard. We know not of such a transcendent criterion. There are ontological and epistemological problems with such an appeal. The Philosophy of Art, or Aesthetics, deals with this.

There is no absolute true standard of quality, when it comes to art; a system with an opinion-dependent evaluative process.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
But, then that begs the question as to what you're defining as "good".

Think B movies here. Many people love them, but they are bad movies. I've seen many fans use the statement "It's so bad, it's good", which places an enjoyment value well above the actual production.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
But, then that begs the question as to what you're defining as "good". If you have a sincere great adoration for a work, that means it genuinely resonates with you and fodders your natural, individual tastes.

Since when is "this entertains me" the same as "I greatly adore this, this resonates deeply with me?" You're generalizing things way too much. I can watch Girls Bravo and laugh at it and have fun with it, but in no way will that show come close to resonating with me like Evangelion or even Cowboy Bebop did. There's so many different levels of "like," "enjoyed," etc that it is in no way contradictory to say "yeah, this show is bad, but I enjoy it."

Quote:
There is no absolute true standard of quality, when it comes to art; a system with an opinion-dependent evaluative process.

There is when it comes to story-telling. If a story doesn't make any sense, riddled with plot-holes and inconsistencies, then it is indeed not good. Besides, this kind of starts dancing on the line of "what is art, and what is a product made for profit." Let's not go there Wink
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Think B movies here. Many people love them, but they are bad movies. I've seen many fans use the statement "It's so bad, it's good", which places an enjoyment value well above the actual production.

No, trust me, I hear what you're saying. But, I think there's an honest distinction between enjoying something because it's incredibly cheesy and predictable so it's hilarious (B movies), and sincerely deriving some notion of quality content from it, which just may be a B movie. I think the "It's so bad, it's good" adage is really nothing more than a demonstration of the former. I guess it boils down to: if something has high production value, does that necessarily equate "good"?

the Rancorous wrote:
Since when is "this entertains me" the same as "I greatly adore this, this resonates deeply with me?"

That's because Key said that there are titles he's even "loved", but would not acknowledge as being good. Adoration is a synonym for love. I fully concede that there's a difference between deeply admiring a work and simply being entertained by it. My initial point starts from there.

Quote:
There is when it comes to story-telling. If a story doesn't make any sense, riddled with plot-holes and inconsistencies, then it is indeed not good.

I fully agree.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7