• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica's SHAFT Launches Prism Nana Project Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
danilo07 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
danilo07 wrote:
Besides it is not like Shaft only has one director.

Don't they? I can't think of any Shaft anime in the last few years not directed by Shinbo.

Well There is Shin OOnuma and he directed ef: a tale of memories.

He left to create Silver Link though, so he doesn't do any work with Shaft anymore. That was like 4 years ago, too.

Yeah and he's directing the Fate/Stay Night magical girl spin-off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Huh, well I'll be. I thought the Nanoha was longer than 50 episodes altogether; I had thought each of the seasons were 26 episodes apiece. Guess that's not particularly bloated (though there have only been a small handful of series that I've honestly really liked that are 50+ episodes, so the episode count for the whole franchise doesn't do anything particularly positive for me anyway.)

Nanoha and A's are only 13 episodes each. Not really bloated at all (except Nanoha as a whole is kind of a formulaic and uninteresting show, so there is that). All told there are... 52 episodes, I think, across three seasons. We're not talking CCS-tier length for a single story, or Sailor Moon/Precure-tier for size of body of work (as far as anime goes).

Quote:
Maybe I'll try out some of the actual episodes, then. Or at least, see that first Nanoha movie; that should make a decent pre-emptive strike against my concerns in regards to length and pacing.

My suggestion, since I know you're referring to me in your previous paragraph, is watch ep1 of Nanoha just to compare to Madoka (to see how similar they really are in some ways, so you understand where those initial comparisons were coming from) and then watch the movie if you're still curious because it's more interesting than the series; even if it leaves some things out, it's paced better and trims most of the "monster of the week" fat. Then if you're not sick of naked loli, watch the A's series because it's the best of the bunch, then join the crowd awaiting the A's movie. After that, if you are bored you can try StrikerS, a show that would have been good if it was half its length.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Well, Shinbo did direct the first Nanoha series, so he knows how to do magical girl shows that aren't grimdark as well. Hopefully its closer to Nanoha than Madoka.

Yeah well ever since Sayonara Zetsbou Sensei ,he went insane and started to direct weird art house fanservice and sometimes absurdist and philosophical animes so I highly doubt that he will go back to Nanoha when everybody likes his stuff now.Besides it is not like Shaft only has one director.

Have you ever seen Soul Taker? Le Petit Cossette? Even Moonphase has his weirdness and perviness. Negima and Pani Poni Dash are, well, weird art house fanservice gag series. Hidamari Sketch is... Hidamari Sketch?

The only Shaft/Shinbo series which I saw and didn't like {and that includes various early OVAs} was Ef: Tale of Melodies but that was mostly because of the source material.

The art here looks cute and promising {and that's where the troubles starts. Or not} but one girl has a bow, one has a hand cannon maybe and the third has a ... guitar ...

Theme coloring suggests something sentai style but it's one strange band. Or fighting force. Or magical girl squad. Or school club. Or nothing.

I vote Sailor Moon meets Lucky Star.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh Shaft. Way to think outside the box.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Kyoshinhei wrote:
superdry wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Is it just me, or do the character designs look an awful lot like Kantoku? He's one of the up and coming LN artists now, and his Hentai Oji LN just got an anime adaption as well.

So, I'm not the only one who thought the character designs look like Kantoku.

While up and coming (Hentai Ouji is his third novel), he is well known in the doujin circuit under After school the 5th year.

Yup, thought so too. Plus a little banner for the new project just popped up on Kantoku's website so that pretty much a given.

Sweet for the 100% confirmation. I think my interest in this project has increased if the anime can keep close to his original designs.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Have you ever seen Soul Taker? Le Petit Cossette? Even Moonphase has his weirdness and perviness. Negima and Pani Poni Dash are, well, weird art house fanservice gag series. Hidamari Sketch is... Hidamari Sketch?

That was meant as a joke,what I meant to say was that in the last 5 years he is constantly creating something in his style and making huge money out of it.
ToaruLL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm a wise choice SHAFT acquiring a new character designer for a new anime. Kantoku's popularity (if this anime is a success) will rise tremendously.

Magical Prism Sweet Nana ... yeah i can see the similarites with Nanoha and Moetan here in this title.

But the art does not dictate that presumption. Lucky Star with Sailor Moon hmmm does sound interesting..

SHAFT are rolling in money so if magical girl themed series gave them immense success, why not keep the tradition going. I'm all up for SHAFT animation and Magical girls anyday.
tootbrush

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
what I meant to say was that in the last 5 years he is constantly creating something in his style and making huge money out of it.

Why would a director abandon his style if it works for him and people like it? I don't get it. Seems like yet another pointless grudge.

Also, Shinbou's had his style for at least 15 years. It was emerging in Metal Fighter Miku already.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
tootbrush wrote:
danilo07 wrote:
what I meant to say was that in the last 5 years he is constantly creating something in his style and making huge money out of it.

Why would a director abandon his style if it works for him and people like it? I don't get it. Seems like yet another pointless grudge.

Also, Shinbou's had his style for at least 15 years. It was emerging in Metal Fighter Miku already.

He did do it several times I mean just after visual spectacle like Soul Taker he did something like Triangle Heart.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm not predicting a Madoka style bait and switch, but I am expecting some kind of craziness.
solarsun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Love magical girl stuff so I'll be probably picking this up if it hits stateside. It's almost a 'SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY' moment when it comes to magical girl stuff. I just can't get enough of it.

As others have hypothesized I'm hoping it's like Sailor moon meets Lucky Star. That would be a fun thing to watch. Even if it does have a Madoka twist to it it would be interesting (I love Madoka btw).
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I really hope its not another Madoka thing... just emulating that would be trying to rip off of Madokas success. I really hope its another otaku aimed mahou shoujo show.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
...Madoka is an Otaku themed Magical Girl show.

And incredibly twisted and dark one, but one nonetheless.
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm personally not expecting another angstfest like Madoka. Not the best combination with mahou shoujo and I already get my fix of it with dozens of mecha shows. Then again, precure already has sentai type mahou shoujo covered and there is that new Sailor Moon in the works. So if it is going to be a magical girl anime, there are a few other things it could be: the idol type, romance/SoL hybrid type, comedy type or the action type for older (male) audiences.

Last edited by naninanino on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Konopan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
This many pages and no mention of deconstructions? I'm proud.

Hoping for something on the SoL/social commentary side of Shaft productions rather than pure drama or fanservice heavy shenanigans

Some mahou shoujo action crossed with the sort of fluff that Soredemo or Denpa Onna had would be kind of nice, I think.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5