• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann DVD Bundled with Yoko's Idol Debut CD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorsean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Emerje wrote:
I've seen much more tasteful shows get the same pillow treatment with much younger characters.

Emerje

mm, and that's my problem with Gurren Lagann merchandise now. In my mind, as soon as I saw that Nia pillow a few months ago, it and all other GL merchandise suddenly became solely the domain of "that"crowd.

And I really love the anime, so it's disheartening to see things like these body pillows, and now strangely making a fictional character an "idol" (I can't stand idols in general, for all the same reasons as the other stuff I'm talking about).

You know, what it comes down to is that I just don't like otaku.

You do realize that Gurren Lagann is solely made for your so-called definition of "that" crowd Laughing oh and there are plenty of Video Idols in Japan that are Fictional, ever heard of Miku Hatsune? Megurine Luka? Kagamine Rin and Len? iDOLM@STER? Lovely Idol? The list goes on... And all are extremely popular and doing well... and whats really disheartening is reading posts from people like you bitching about how much the merchandise is geared toward "that" crowd... O RLY? If it wasn't for "that" crowd the anime industry wouldn't be doing how it is today... its because of "that" crowd that Gurren Lagann was made for in the first place... srsly...
zhir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
The reason that anime is where it is today is because of the subset of otaku that are also pedophiles?

Additionally, I don't think that anime being where it is today due to otaku is necessarily a good thing. You could certainly make the argument that the growing percentage of anime aimed solely at otaku is the reason the industry is stagnating. To paraphrase AWO, they've stopped marketing towards people outside the fandom, because they don't spend as much on figures and model kits, but because of that, they aren't really growing their audience.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
zhir wrote:
The reason that anime is where it is today is because of the subset of otaku that are also pedophiles?

Additionally, I don't think that anime being where it is today due to otaku is necessarily a good thing. You could certainly make the argument that the growing percentage of anime aimed solely at otaku is the reason the industry is stagnating. To paraphrase AWO, they've stopped marketing towards people outside the fandom, because they don't spend as much on figures and model kits, but because of that, they aren't really growing their audience.

I agree. I understand that you have to cater to your audience but there doesn't seem to be much new besides otaku anime anymore. The only way to get away from creepy otaku fetishes is to watch a shojo or josei. Even then they realize how large the male audiences for some of those shows and they manage to stick a few in. That's not going to get new audiences because it's specifically for people "in the know" 20 new anime in one season about cute girls making jokes about a tsundere futa or something is not going to be welcoming to a newcomer. I suspect this could cause more of a problem in america then japan though.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
zhir wrote:

I agree. I understand that you have to cater to your audience but there doesn't seem to be much new besides otaku anime anymore. The only way to get away from creepy otaku fetishes is to watch a shojo or josei. Even then they realize how large the male audiences for some of those shows and they manage to stick a few in. That's not going to get new audiences because it's specifically for people "in the know" 20 new anime in one season about cute girls making jokes about a tsundere futa or something is not going to be welcoming to a newcomer. I suspect this could cause more of a problem in america then japan though.

In America, it is...
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote
7ThIsGod wrote:
For example, Gainax reasoning for Nia's design was to draw a character with the "light-hearted elegance of old-school shoujo manga" but with traits that would be considered weird and otherworldly. Yoko's design was only supposed to be aesthetically pleasing, simple and memorable.

Designs don't mean crap. It's all about perception in the final product, what the audience sees.

Fanservice is in the eye of the beholder. You see a plot pushing character, others see cuteness and dorodere traits. You see boobs, others see passion and a well-rounded character. (Of course, everyone should be able to acknowledge all the traits of characters, not just the ones that stand out to them...)
7ThIsGod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Mysticmidnightmaiden wrote:
7ThIsGod wrote:
For example, Gainax reasoning for Nia's design was to draw a character with the "light-hearted elegance of old-school shoujo manga" but with traits that would be considered weird and otherworldly. Yoko's design was only supposed to be aesthetically pleasing, simple and memorable.

Designs don't mean crap. It's all about perception in the final product, what the audience sees.

Fanservice is in the eye of the beholder. You see a plot pushing character, others see cuteness and dorodere traits. You see boobs, others see passion and a well-rounded character. (Of course, everyone should be able to acknowledge all the traits of characters, not just the ones that stand out to them...)

I'm not talking about the quality of the writing but rather about the purpose of the character, the reason it came to exist. People complaining about Yoko being sold as merchandise have no ground-to-stand-on because she was crated to serve as Gurren-Lagann's mascot and an such all this fetishization and pandering is just something that comes with the territory.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:13 am Reply with quote
zhir wrote:

1.) They are not pedophiles, they are loli-cons, there is a BIG difference from watching a little anime girl doing a naked transformation dance sequence (i.e Nanoha) and watching a REAL little girl doing the same dance naked... some otaku's, hikimori's and neets aren't really into 3-D girls...

2) THAT'S EXACTLY RIGHT!

7ThIsGod wrote:
Mysticmidnightmaiden wrote:
7ThIsGod wrote:

I'm not talking about the quality of the writing but rather about the purpose of the character, the reason it came to exist. People complaining about Yoko being sold as merchandise have no ground-to-stand-on because she was created to serve as Gurren-Lagann's mascot and an such all this fetishization and pandering is just something that comes with the territory.

THAT'S EXACTLY RIGHT!

Last edited by sailorsean on Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:
zhir wrote:

1.) They are not pedophiles, they are loli-cons, there is a BIG difference from watching a little anime girl doing a naked transformation dance sequence (i.e Nanoha) and watching a REAL little girl doing the same dance naked... otaku's, hikimori's and neets aren't really into 3-D girls...

Really you think that all otaku are the "disgusting 3D pig" type? I guess that's why the seiyuu turned idol industry is going under....oh wait it's not. Especially not the junior idol one.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:
zhir wrote:

1.) They are not pedophiles, they are loli-cons, there is a BIG difference from watching a little anime girl doing a naked transformation dance sequence (i.e Nanoha) and watching a REAL little girl doing the same dance naked... some otaku's, hikimori's and neets aren't really into 3-D girls...

Really you think that all otaku are the "disgusting 3D pig" type? I guess that's why the seiyuu turned idol industry is going under....oh wait it's not. Especially not the junior idol one.

Really if you read my post correctly except reading fast and skipping most of the important details I say that SOME otakus arn't into 3-D girls NOT ALL... and I NEVER said anything about the seiyuu/idol industry going under because most otakus appreciate the seiyuu... I mean have you ever seen the Suzumiya Haruhi no Gekisou concert? Those fans are crazy just to get a piece of Hirano Aya Cool
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Jaziek wrote:

When I got my Haruhi LE set I threw the pillowcases away as soon as I opened them.

*facepalm*

You just reminded me of a story I heard about some woman who couldn't return baby clothing to Wal-Mart after the return policy time, so to prove a point, she dumps them into the trash.

WHY NOT SELL THEM TO ANOTHER PERSON TO GET SOME EXTRA CASH?!
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote
zhir wrote:

I agree. I understand that you have to cater to your audience but there doesn't seem to be much new besides otaku anime anymore. The only way to get away from creepy otaku fetishes is to watch a shojo or josei.

Or Weekly Shonen Jump series.

Even then they realize how large the male audiences for some of those shows and they manage to stick a few in. That's not going to get new audiences because it's specifically for people "in the know" 20 new anime in one season about cute girls making jokes about a tsundere futa or something is not going to be welcoming to a newcomer. I suspect this could cause more of a problem in america then japan though.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Jaziek wrote:

When I got my Haruhi LE set I threw the pillowcases away as soon as I opened them.

*facepalm*

You just reminded me of a story I heard about some woman who couldn't return baby clothing to Wal-Mart after the return policy time, so to prove a point, she dumps them into the trash.

WHY NOT SELL THEM TO ANOTHER PERSON TO GET SOME EXTRA CASH?!

Agreed, there are tons of people who would have bought them. Simply tossing it away is dumb as well as environmentally bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3