• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zac Bertschy: Terrible American Tourist

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:49 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
I agree though I would like to see what the non otaku think about those sorts of things.

They think it's creepy and freakish.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Darn it all, you've made me want to go back now.

I'd actually recommend the drink C.C. Lemon (by Suntory IIRC).

It's good but it's "not lemonade".

Last edited by The Ramblin' Wreck on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:01 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Japan Japan Japan Japan Japan you learn to deal with these kind of things in a Japanese way.

Ah, beautiful relativism. Things are always okay, as long as you can find someone else who does things the same way.
grgspunk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
Japan Japan Japan Japan Japan you learn to deal with these kind of things in a Japanese way.

Ah, beautiful relativism. Things are always okay, as long as you can find someone else who does things the same way.

That's what happens when you go to another country, pal. If you go to a completely different country, everyone who lives there are going to expect you to get used to the way they do things at home, not the other way around.

The locals aren't gonna have the same values or ways of doing things as you do. It's their home turf: Why should it be fair for them to have to change their ways of doing things to satisfy a few foreingers paying a visit?

Last edited by grgspunk on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
fighterholic wrote:

mmh, huh?

no, really, book off is almost always crowded (and I really dislike that), not only with otakus, but you can still reach everywhere you want pretty easily. As said, most of the customers are pretty polite. Imho you don't have to "learn to deal with it" at all, because it's not even a problem.

Zac & Co., are you only staying in Tokyo? If you come to Kyoto, check out the manga museum - there you will find your manga cows Anime hyper
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:21 pm Reply with quote
The Manga Cows are mesmerizing.

Is anyone planning to visit Otome Road? I'm curious to hear if the rumors of crazy cosplaying, rolling bag full of doujinshi Fujoshi are true. I hear it's the Fangirl's Promised land.

Behold the promised land!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0Oot6HUGiY
abynormal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh my gosh! Nakano Broadway! I used to live close to that place and visited it pretty often. The Mandarake there is amazing to wander through, since it has several sub-boutiques and takes up two floors, as he said.

Book-Offs are made of pure awesome. I'd always hit the used music section and pick up a few CDs for cheap, since new CDs go for at least thirty bucks a pop over there.

This article and the pictures of Nakano made my day. ^^
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
grgspunk wrote:

That's what happens when you go to another country, pal. If you go to a completely different country, everyone who lives there are going to expect you to get used to the way they do things at home, not the other way around.

The locals aren't gonna have the same values or ways of doing things as you do. It's their home turf: Why should it be fair for them to change their ways of doing things to satisfy a few foreingers paying a visit?

If I recall correctly cultural relativism states that the view that all beliefs are equally valid and that truth itself is relative, depending on the situation, environment, and individual. Those who hold to cultural relativism hold that all religious, ethical, aesthetic, and political beliefs are completely relative to the individual within a cultural identity. Therefore it is wrong to criticize any culture for anything.

Logically however that is an illogical method to approach something as exemplified here-http://www.cultural-relativism.com/

Quote:
Cultural relativism is the philosophical belief that all views are equally valid. However, if you test this position under general rules of logic, you soon discover that relativism is illogical and self-defeating. If relativism is true and all points of view are true, then the assertion that relativism is false, is true. Is this contradictory? Yes. Is truth contradictory? No.

Relativists believe that all truth is relative. Therefore, the statement, "All truth is relative," would be absolutely true. If this statement is absolutely true, then not all things are relative and the statement is false.

Relativists declare that "there are no absolute truths." However, this is an absolute statement, which is supposed to be true. Therefore, it is an absolute truth and the statement is false.

According to the relativist position, I can have my own version of truth. Therefore, a truth for me is that relativism is false. Based on the relativistic rules, I have just established that relativism is false. Of course, the relativist will say "no" to my logic, but then what is true for me is not really true, and, again, I have proven the philosophy of relativism false.

Give it some thought…
Hikari06

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:38 pm Reply with quote
LOL Keep up the snarky comentary, Zac!! Very Happy
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Dude! Akihabra looks just like the shopping areas of NYC! Awesome! ^___^
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:

It really does. There would probably be even more similarities in the fashion districts seeing as there isn't really a purely geek area of NY (or am I missing something?)
Zerreth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:

On that note, when I went to Japan, I felt that Tokyo and NYC have a similar atmosphere to them. You'll feel like you're in NYC if you go to Shibuya. You have to go to akiba on sundays and ginza's basically your saks fifth ave.

On the manga cows thing. Book off, like someone mentioned earlier, it's a used book store. There aren't spines to break, they're already broken (well.... delicately bent). Walking through there is more like walking through a crowded store rather than a barnes and noble per say, where people set up camp and a bon fire... and talk loudly on their cell phones... and blare music. Did I mention they also bring finger food?

Honestly, I don't have problems with people reading books if they aren't obnoxious about it.

On a random note. you uh.... gonna take a picture of hachiko anytime soon? Anime hyper

Last edited by Zerreth on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, you provided me with several good laughs and hopefully my keyboard will recover from me spraying coke on it. I salute you, and wish you luck in your noble quest of geekdom. Laughing

Personally, I have no urge to go there though, for the same reason I didn't like other large cities; I hate the human cattle, the traffic sucks, and it's impossible to find anything you're looking for.

Last edited by Kruszer on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
fighterholic wrote:

You know, if you don't like it, then that's fine. I'm going to say however that there are ways of going about it if you want to save yourself some trouble for certain things. I will stress what I said earlier again, and this time it goes out to everybody. Like I said to Cloe, a large number of people haven't been to Japan, they don't have the feel. But, since you, Bamboo, and Cloe are liking the fact to disagree with me on things here, from a view that I have after having been in Japan that there is the Japanese way of doing things IN Japan. It may not always be the right thing to do coming from an American perspective, but it is a way of doing things. If you guys don't like how it goes, then that's fine. But I have my way of doing things, and some of them are Japanese. Some of them are American. And the next thing I know Zac is going to have his opinion on my opinion.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

You know, if you don't like it, then that's fine. I'm going to say however that there are ways of going about it if you want to save yourself some trouble for certain things. I will stress what I said earlier again, and this time it goes out to everybody. Like I said to Cloe, a large number of people haven't been to Japan, they don't have the feel. But, since you, Bamboo, and Cloe are liking the fact to disagree with me on things here, from a view that I have after having been in Japan that there is the Japanese way of doing things IN Japan. It may not always be the right thing to do coming from an American perspective, but it is a way of doing things. If you guys don't like how it goes, then that's fine. But I have my way of doing things, and some of them are Japanese. Some of them are American. And the next thing I know Zac is going to have his opinion on my opinion.

psssst! That's why they are disagreeing with you, because is the "Japanese way of doing things IN Japan" by itself isn't a logical argument, as cultural relativism is an illogical way to approach something. Let me see if I can explain this better so you can see why myself and others have a problem with "manga cows".

The act of reading a used book has nothing wrong. Reading a used book in a store inherently has nothing wrong as long as you read it in a way that does not interfer with others. The problem comes in when you have examples like of what Zac has shown or that other manga enthusiasts can relate to, it that they don't treat other people with a lot of respect (thus treating them as a means to an end) when they do so that way. Now if you ask and they politely move, no big deal, it's the one's that feel "insulted" or "indignant" to your request are wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 22