• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-04-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
My most memorable line comes from one of Cartoon Network's early Bleach promos. Rukia's looking back at the camera in her school uniform, and she says, "We stand in awe before that which cannot be seen." The line is cool, and I love the music in that promo.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
topleka wrote:
_Emi_ wrote:
It goes, "I am that is, my sword will wield for me."

Am I going nuts or is that not even from an anime? Something in my inner being says it's from a book.

Alternately, what is that quote from?

It's from the book Redwall by Brian Jacques. It's the last line from a riddle. It was later turned into a 13 episode TV series.
Metal Superman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Whoa! Um… Brian… are you implying that you actually enjoy tentacle rape? O_o

Break a leg, Brian. Literally! Jk Razz

Please let it be Zac that does Answerman next week!
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:24 am Reply with quote
Metal Superman wrote:
Please let it be Zac that does Answerman next week!

It probably will be Zac next week, but nonetheless I'm thinking that it will be Justin Sevakis. Want to have a friendly bet?
BigHurtBrad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:15 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty terrible with quotes, and anime especially. There's some movies here and there that I remember quotes from, and I can quote The Princess Bride almost word for word, but that's about it.

But I don't think he just meant quotes. He did say "Moments".
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:19 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Somebody will be filling in for him. Hmm...

Que the appropriate "Star Wars" soundtrack.....

nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:03 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
QFT.

Why oh why did Ca$h $uck Vi$ual U$A have to charge an arm and a leg for their release of Honneamise?

At least I managed to find a used copy of Manga Entertainment's release on eBay for cheap. Better than plunking down an arm, a let, or even your firstborn for Ca$h $uck Vi$ual's release. (And I don't even see the point of having to also buy the Blu-Ray disc that's bundled in when most of us still don't have Blu-Ray decks, or when any of us just want the DVD by itself!)

We simply call it extremely niche marketing. It's similar to one of those institutional education video that cost $150.

I ONLY WISH THE DVDs WERE UNDER $200. DON'T GET ME $TARTED ON THE EXTORTIONATE PRICES THAT MORRIS MASSEY DEMANDS!!!

PURCHASE/RENT
VHS & DVD Selections
Purchase: $895.00
Fed Gov't Price: $805.50
Education Price: $716.00
Non-Profit Price: $805.50
7 Day Rental: $495.00

Don't get me wrong, Massey is very good at presenting his stuff, but $500 FOR A WEEK'S RENTAL???!!! Shocked $900 to buy a FRIGGIN' 67 MINUTE DVD???!!! Evil or Very Mad

(begins hyperventilating -- again)

$150 is peanuts.
DMNT

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I can never forget this, Archer's chant:

~
I am the bone of my sword.
Steel is my body, and fire is my blood.
I have created over a thousand blades.
Unknown to death.
Nor known to life.
Have withstood pain to create many weapons.
Yet, those hands will never hold anything.
So as I pray, 'Unlimited Blade Works'.
~

(Fate/stay night)
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
It's advisable to import the R4 release of Wings of Honneamise. That's what I did. The DVD cover is reversible in case you don't want to see a little blue rating box on the artwork.

It's still not the cheapest of films to get your hands on though, and I found it to be little above average after a single viewing. Although it certainly has its merits, the plot elements I wished to be resolved were not; pure symbolism dominated the ending.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
topleka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
topleka wrote:
_Emi_ wrote:
It goes, "I am that is, my sword will wield for me."

Am I going nuts or is that not even from an anime? Something in my inner being says it's from a book.

Alternately, what is that quote from?

It's from the book Redwall by Brian Jacques. It's the last line from a riddle. It was later turned into a 13 episode TV series.

Oh, good. I knew I knew it, but it was a little out of context for me, so I was trying to figure out what anime series I saw it in.

That explains it.
loka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Yotsunoha: spoiler[Makoto confesses to Nono;] "I am not a lolicon! It just happened by chance that the woman I love is a loli!"
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I'm confused about the guy who said that Now and Then, Here and There has an "extreme happy ending." There seemed to be a few typos in the reply, but I think Josh was getting at that he likes a show where it seems like everything and everyone is horrible at first, but the ending shows that's not actually the case, and things end happily.

But even so, Now and Then, Here and There doesn't fit, in my mind. I can't imagine how anyone can consider that ending more than bittersweet at best. Though I suppose considering what led up to it, the ending being anything other than utterly sad and depressing in all aspects is a bit of a relief.

Everybody deserved what they got in the end. Laughing

Redgem89 wrote:
Quote:
Favorite cliché? Easy one! The battle is almost lost. There is no energy left in our hero's body. He can't move, it's all going to end... wait, what's that? Whose voice is this... oh! It's from his girlfriend/childhood friend/sister/brother/father/platonic love! After hearing it, he remembers of all the people he has met, notice that he's not alone, and that all those people's powers are being transfered to him! This is it! With the power of all of his friends, he will defeat his opponent, with... The Ultimate Ultra Super Friendship Family Eternal Holy Power Mana Spiritual Sacred My Last Shot This Is All I've Got Shining Magical Attack of Destruction and Salvation!

That had to be hands down my favorite part of this week's Answerman! It reminded me so much of Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon, and so many other shows. Especially Sailor Moon because it seemed like it happened to every Sailor Scout atleast once each season.

You've got the power! Ohhhh... you've got the powwwwww-er. [/song] Laughing

Hmmm... memorable anime moment lines... how about Godai's proposal scene to Kyoko in Maison Ikkoku (ep 94?). Cool
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I might actually write in an answer this week; I actually have a number of anime scenes/quotes/chants/speeches memorized by heart. I guess being a theatre major has got me hooked on memorizing even the useless things right and left Razz .

"Noir... it is the name of an ancient fate
Two maidens who govern death
The peace of the newly born
Their black hands protect"

I've been rewatching Noir, so I felt like posting that one. Easy to memorize since its at the bginning of every episode (and yes, I know that there are different versions to it through out). Its got a real sense of dark mystery and intrigue surrounding it, me likey.

And of course, a bit from Vandread that gets me every time:

Hibiki: Tighten your jock-straps, everyone!
Dita: What's a jock-strap?
Laughing
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I'm confused about the guy who said that Now and Then, Here and There has an "extreme happy ending." There seemed to be a few typos in the reply, but I think Josh was getting at that he likes a show where it seems like everything and everyone is horrible at first, but the ending shows that's not actually the case, and things end happily.

But even so, Now and Then, Here and There doesn't fit, in my mind. I can't imagine how anyone can consider that ending more than bittersweet at best. Though I suppose considering what led up to it, the ending being anything other than utterly sad and depressing in all aspects is a bit of a relief.

Everybody deserved what they got in the end. Laughing

The "Mother" character spoiler[who was murdered] got what she deserved? Mad
The girl spoiler[who was raped] got what she deserved? Evil or Very Mad
I respectfully disagree with you; I don't think that either one of them got what they deserved.
jcaliff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I didn't send my answer to last week's question, but I just want to answer anyway. My favorite cliche is a silly thing. I love the awkward silence moment that happens after a particularly bad joke or embarassing situation where they switch the scene to the outdoors, and a crow flies overhead crowing in the sky. It always cracks me up no matter how stupid the lead-up was.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4