• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (My Little Monster) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Still liking this. And to quote Natsume, don't y'all spoiler[go and fall in love with me, mmmkay? I'm pretty cute.] Wink
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god, I love this show.

How do I describe, why, though...?

It's like...most shows I watch, while I find them entertaining, feel 'empty', like they're just telling a story and here's ABC on how that works. But this show feels so 'full', like a box just jam packed with everything that makes me feel good about a character-driven show.

I love these characters. They're all not what I'd expect from this kind of show but not over the top. Even Haru's eccentricities are really great. This episode was so warming, I love it. Both episodes so far have been so solid and self-contained that they could be singular events and be just as good.

If the entire run for this is made up of episodes like this, I will be a happy camper.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
OK, you can add me to the list of fans. We have something pretty special.

Specifically, it is an anime romance that isn't endlessly tiresome. I compare it to His and Her Circumstances which is one of my favorites which at least is funny and well paced, but the romance develops so slowly. It must take 10-20 episodes before the heroine starts to realize she is in love, and another 12 episodes before they hold hands, and 30-50 more episodes before they kiss. Think about all the frustration you just went through with Mysterious Girlfriend X. (featuring clueless boyfriend Y).

In comparison TnKK got that over with tout de suite and we don't have to hang around forever waiting for something to happen. We also don't have endless stuttering and sweating and waving hands around. Shizuku at least seems pretty self aware and that really helps. The story gets right down to the business of what it all means and that is quite the change. She may be off-balance but she isn't endlessly diffident and it is much more fun to watch that way.

One thing I find very curious on her introspection. She thinks of herself as never having cared about anyone but herself and for the most part that seems true. Yet at the same time she was willing to put her arms around Haru and hug him when she felt he needed it, and it seemed like a genuinely emotional gesture well before he did anything to break through his barriers. So she seems to be wrong about herself there. And she is a lot cuter than she thinks she is.

I'm looking forward to the rest.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
OK, you can add me to the list of fans. We have something pretty special.

Specifically, it is an anime romance that isn't endlessly tiresome. I compare it to His and Her Circumstances which is one of my favorites which at least is funny and well paced, but the romance develops so slowly. It must take 10-20 episodes before the heroine starts to realize she is in love, and another 12 episodes before they hold hands, and 30-50 more episodes before they kiss.

This and His and Her Circumstances/ Kare Kano are good comparisons... but I'm not sure you're talking about His and Her Circumstances (maybe Kimi Ni Todoke?). Only 26 episodes in Kare Kano, (less if you take out all the recapping) there was a confession spoiler[in the first episode of that too], and spoiler[they were officially going out at the end of the 4th] and to say they progressed their relationship at a healthy pace after that is quite a reasonable description.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:19 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Only 26 episodes in Kare Kano, (less if you take out all the recapping)

I was just poking fun at it -- one of my favorites. It often seems like it takes for ever even if it really doesn't. The point was that TnKK has definitely a difference pace and also a different order to things than the typical anime romance and they are making it work.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Kare Kano, is it me, or do these two shows have really similar theme songs? Or is that just a shoujo thing in general?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
A pointless fact from a seiyuu fan:

Anyone watch Kuroko no Basket? Kagami's seiyuu Ono Yuuki voices Nagoya. ...The rooster.

I, for one, got a kick out of that.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Only 26 episodes in Kare Kano, (less if you take out all the recapping)

I was just poking fun at it -- one of my favorites. It often seems like it takes for ever even if it really doesn't. The point was that TnKK has definitely a difference pace and also a different order to things than the typical anime romance and they are making it work.

I don't know... After this episode I'm pretty sure My Little Monster is going to be doing close to the same thing Kare Kano did after it's first four episodes, putting the core duo's romance in the back seat, while it focuses on friendships and introducing new characters.

I'm enjoying it but I don't see it being paced any better than Kare Kano, just a little differently. Kare Kano has just about the best and most complete four episode story you're likely to see in Shoujo, the manga was originally conceived as a stand alone story comprising that arc, so in my mind it is paced perfectly. My Little Monster may get to a couple goals faster but Kare Kano told you about Miyazawa so completely that you barely needeed to learn anything more about her in the rest of series. It's just a different pace, this was conceived as a long series and so it takes its time telling you about Shizuku (and Haru).

Plus, will Shizuku and Haru really be any better off than Miyazawa and Arima were at episode four of Kare Kano? Shizuku and Haru may have kissed... or rather she had a kiss forced on her, and she may have said she "likes" him, but are they nearly as close of a couple? Are they even technically an actual couple? If they are would Shizuku even admit to others to that fact? If you're talking about how long it took them to hold hands in Kare Kano can you really say this pair could comfortably do such a thing in this show?

I say let it be what it will, but it's hard to say it's got an exceptionally strong argument as being uniquely structured when the first episode of Say "I Love You" had some of the very same elements in its very first episode in the same week.

Really, the plots of the two almost seem like they're doing same improv exercise. The one where the players have to play out their own story but requires it to contain some of the same things in it, but instead of saying the story has to be set in a supermarket, featuring an overweight man, a lost purse, and ends with a dropped potato it's a school romance featuring a friendless girl, an odd match that aggressively pursues her, possible sexual harassment and ends with a surprise kiss.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I don't know... After this episode I'm pretty sure My Little Monster is going to be doing close to the same thing Kare Kano did after it's first four episodes, putting the core duo's romance in the back seat, while it focuses on friendships and introducing new characters.

Not really much of a spoiler, but just in case...
spoiler[Don't worry. New characters will be introduced but no, their relationship won't really be "put in the back seat."]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
@ Spastic Minnow
Did you do that entire post just to try and say that this show is a copy of Kare Kano after you have seen 2 episodes? I have not seen that show, but it seems kind of silly. For one you say they aint really a couple yet, and then their relationship be put in the back seat. There has to be somewhere to go, and thaey are leavings things open.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
^^^^

I'm just saying it's not such a uniquely paced or plotted shojo and that Kare Kano was certainly not all that slow to develop and in its own way accomplished just as much if not more as My Little Monster within it's first episodes.

Not really insulting this show, when a show is playing with some of the same ol story elements like this one is then execution is key and, other than some awkwardness dealing with Haru's inappropriate behavior, this is being executed very nicely and I really like Shizuku.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
Wow, I just watched these first two episodes today was was really surprised by how good they were! I kinda fell in love with this anime.

I am really hoping there is still fun places to go with it and that it doesn't lose this wonderful feel it has to it.
Alakazzam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
Just watched the first two episodes last night and I gotta say this quickly becoming my early favorite of the season. It's rare to see a Rom-com advance so much in such little time, and I'm loving the characters so far. Don't think I've seen confessions so early in a series.

Shizuku is such a different female main character, it's really refreshing. Natsume and Haru are great as well. The couple so far is strange as hell but they compliment each other pretty well.

Looking forward to the third episode.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

spoiler[Shizuku confessing to Haru & then taking it back was like wtf??
Of course she was beating herself up afterwards.
Haru is seriously impressive in fights but he's just way too easygoing.
Building a chicken coop was a nice group effort ^^
Haru staying at her house, now that was a surprise!
He was enjoying it though ^^ Shizuku was affected by his presence.]

Nice episode!
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I can't get enough of how awesome all the characters are, especially Natsume since she is basically the dumb female version of Haru. I enjoyed the father's reaction spoiler[when Shizuku bought over Haru. They took the comedic surprised route instead of the nazi overprotective route.]

Looks like Haru's bad luck has appeared. spoiler[At first I thought it was his twin, but it is most likely his older brother.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 18