• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Adds Kannagi Anime DVDs & Streams

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
sailorsean wrote:
i really would have liked seen Kannagi with a dub... Crying or Very sad
Then pay for it.

Wait, wait, wait. Not to veer too off topic, but how can we pay for it we don't have it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
sailorsarah08 wrote:
I want to know why you would spend so much money on this ad campain and then not even dub it? I just noticed it doesn't have a dub. Do they plan to go back and dub it and do like 4 episodes a disc instead of 7?

Because they can make a profit this way.

Plus an Ad campaign costs likely in the 1-3K range (give or take), you're comparing that with dubbing that costs over $100K?
shirou.sama

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
nagato316 wrote:

But still...Simultaneous license announcement AND availability? (via online streaming anyway...DVD release _almost_ simultaneous with license announcement)

It's simultaneous. It's already on sale on Bandai's Amazon Marketplace In Stock.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HT4IN2?ie=UTF8&seller=A3JWE47SRKS871&sn=Bandai%20Entertainment
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Very good one, Bandai Ent. The simultaneous announcement/streaming/DVD release plan is ingenious and a nice change of pace that should be very interesting to watch played out and see if it will be duplicated in the future. And while the volumes have beautiful covers and have a good price tag, I'm not that pleased that it doesn't have a dub. But as I thought with ARIA, I will still definitely look to get it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheBigN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
nagato316 wrote:
But still...Simultaneous license announcement AND availability? (via online streaming anyway...DVD release _almost_ simultaneous with license announcement) Never thought I'd see that. Well played, Bandai.

To me, this is the more important thing. Regardless of the show (and I really like Kannagi by the way), just that Bandai tried all of this is great.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, while this does not interest me, as I've already seen the show...props to Bandai: speedy license, speedy release, interesting advertising, no dub, half the show at once....I tip my hat to you.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:16 pm Reply with quote
minamikaze wrote:
hissatsu01 wrote:
Oh joy, another DVD with 7 episodes stuffed onto it. Why not put the whole series on one DVD? If 7 episodes are good, surely 13 (14) will be much better. Think of the savings in production costs. Who knows what other lessons we can learn from garbage quality bootlegs. Argh.

Rolling Eyes Sigh, there's plenty of room on a DVD 9 for 7 episodes of anime, even more so when there is only one audio track. It isn't even 3 hours worth of content, so there is no reason for the quality to suffer for it. There are plenty of 3 hour movies on DVD 9 discs.

Not without cutting into maximum bitrates there isn't. The max ideally should be 5 episodes for DVD-9 and 3 for DVD-5. The lack of a dub doesn't make much of difference, as the amount of space stereo audio takes is negligible compared to video.

Frankly I know it's a losing battle. Aside from Right Stuf, everyone is moving to this kind of release. The vast majority of people will be fine with it. But most of them would be fine with bootleg video quality as well. Doesn't mean I have to like it. I'll buy this because I have the fansubs, but I'll hope for a higher quality Japanese blu-ray release somewhere down the line, because this doesn't cut it.

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Putting anything else aside for the minute, soliciting the series so soon after announcing the license instantly crowns Bandai as The Best Company EVER for the day. The worst part of getting anime, for me, is the wait in between "it's licensed!" and "it's solicited!" This is awesome awesome awesome, and I hope that other companies will do similar releases. That would make me so happy.
jyuichi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Well, while this does not interest me, as I've already seen the show...

And this attitude is why anime sales are so lackluster.

I'm happy to see new stuff from Bandai but box sets for Code Geass and Lucky Star are long over due.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
WHY CAN'T ANYTHING BE DUBBED ANYMORE!?
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
...Sigh. Wow. I about lost it when I saw the sidebar on the site today. But no dub? Thanks a lot, Bandai. Talk about a kick in the metaphorical, well...you know.

I guess at this point the american anime industry is dead. Funimation is the only real studio doing anything beyond glorified fansubs, and fans of both dubs and slice-of-life shows can just turn around and let the door hit them on their way out.

What a sad state of affairs...First they ruin Hayate, then Sola and True Tears, now this. Words can't even begin to express how disappointed I am in Bandai right now...they used to be great, too...

zanarkand princess wrote:
Wow. Uh it's an interesting sales model.. But for Kannagi? Ok good luck then Bandai. Now do Toradora next.

No. No no no no no. **** that. I'll be damned if I hope for any company ruining slice-of-life series to get Toradora of all things. Funimation needs to snap it up yesterday.

Last edited by SongstressCela on Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Jarmel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Now the question is whether the release next year will have features that this DVD doesn't. Still Bravo Bandai!
nagato316

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
shirou.sama wrote:
nagato316 wrote:

But still...Simultaneous license announcement AND availability? (via online streaming anyway...DVD release _almost_ simultaneous with license announcement)

It's simultaneous. It's already on sale on Bandai's Amazon Marketplace In Stock.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HT4IN2?ie=UTF8&seller=A3JWE47SRKS871&sn=Bandai%20Entertainment

I stand corrected. When the article/press release said DVD availability "within one day" at Right Stuf and Amazon, I was figuring by tomorrow morning, if not late this afternoon. _Very_ well played, Bandai.
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
What a sad state of affairs...First they ruin Hayate, then Sola and True Tears, now this.

Just out of curiosity, do you think that the shows themselves have no intrinsic value of their own if they're not dubbed? I'm sure the shows are still just as good as they ever were, they're just in a different language. Or did getting released sub-only suddenly destroy all of the merits they previously had and make them into horrible series?

I mean, if an anime was ever good, it was good in Japanese first.

Takkun4343 wrote:
WHY CAN'T ANYTHING BE DUBBED ANYMORE!?

BECAUSE NO ONE IS BUYING DVDS ANYMORE!!
Jacut

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Wow. Uh it's an interesting sales model.. But for Kannagi? Ok good luck then Bandai. Now do Toradora next.

This.

I wouldn't have bought Kannagi if I were them. Well, we didn't licence it in France when Aniplex offered us Kannagi in March with a similar deal, so figure why Wink

I think it's not commercially appealing enough, especially to test a new model, since you have to test it on big, well-known title that would have worked well otherwise to see its real strength. Not on a "barely above average" comedy series aiming at otaku demographics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15