• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kirsten Dunst Cosplays in Akihabara for Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:20 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Time to shop it and turn it into desktop wallpaper.
Done it! Though now looking at it she does look like mutton dressed as lamb. I added a caption "Anime. It's a way of life." Razz
matrixdude124

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote
I am... Very very confused. Anime hyper
darcerin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:37 am Reply with quote
...I like it.

I mean yes, in a reality context, it is weird, but for the whole "magical girl" concept, I think it's fantastic. Not one inch of fat on her! *waves her fist at her*
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:10 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
I'm equal parts terrified and titilated to see the end result.

No kidding.It's an otaku's worst nightmare come true though i am interested to see the result.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fuchikoma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote
haha... if anything, it looks like she's cosplaying Midori from Guitar Hero 3 :p
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:46 am Reply with quote
Well that ain't that bad cause luckily i'm no Guitar Hero Fan.

unfortunately i'm a die hard of sailor moon and seeing her in a Usagi/Serena (English dub name) in a cosplay will definately give me nightmares and a lot of otaku cosplayers might call out "bloody murder" for that director.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jsieczka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
icepick314 wrote:
it's amazing how it seems like it's normal to dress like that...

everyone else seems like they're just going about their usual business and not paying attention to what she's doing or who she is....
Just another day at the shop in Akibara. Wink

Your right assuming that it is a weekend, if it was a weekday it would be odd. Manga "inspired" street fashion is what you find Akibara, just like in Harajuku you will find Lolitas, Rockabilly, and punk (fashion - no real resemblance to the US and UK punk movement). It does not seem any where near as big as the Lolita movement but I have no data just visual evidence, anyone in Japan have an idea?
In Akibara it is about creating your own look based on typical "manga" styling: old style school uniforms, short skirts, and wild colors. For females mahou shoujo is still big so you see elements of that added in. I can't remember if there were any males dressed up or not, mostly do to the fact that I wasn't looking for them.
nagato316

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:20 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

nagato: Who are you kidding? Asuka's gonna be Zooey Dachshund. =p

You mean Zooey Deschanel (or however you spell it)? Oh. Heck. Yeah. With those anime saucer-eyes she's got...abso-freaking-lutely. (And damn she'd look good in a plugsuit!) Twisted Evil

@Case: Nice reaction shots from Princess Tutu re:your disbelief at Miss Dunst...Duck FTW!
Hepzibah

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote
My first thought was that she was Mercury, and then I saw the wig before I scrolled down, and thought Neptune... and then I muttered to myself, "She sure doesn't look like any Sailor Senshi I know."

However, it would not shock me in the least to see some random anime magical girl with that outfit. So, she gets a pass. Too bad she's being photobombed by a bored shop owner behind her.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:00 am Reply with quote
I love that thanks to the Internet we get to see these commercials. The celebrities used to be able to hide them and just get their big paychecks, but now we all get to see the goofy stuff they'll go through for money. I love the one where Tommy Lee Jones just looks bored out of his mind, and my personal favorite are the commercials with Kiefer Sutherland where it's like an episode of 24.
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm not confused at all. She's beautiful. I like what I see.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:31 am Reply with quote
I was actually in Akihabara recently, and I can say that this kind of outfit wouldn't be all that surprising to see, especially with all of the maid cafe and anime/game advertisers also wandering the streets. I will admit, though, that the design is definitely a bit on the louder side compared to what I've seen.

I also wanted to say I really loved her performance in Kiki's Delivery Service. The English dub is my favorite film of all time! Very Happy (though I wonder if it might just be nostalgia doing the talking Wink)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3