• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Gets Trigun TV Anime Series on BD/DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
This is good to hear. Hopefully they'll make a box-set.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:02 pm Reply with quote
otimus wrote:
Haha, man. I came here to post the SAME thing. Only difference being that I was in high school. On the upside, the company I bought it from accidentally sent me two boxsets. On the downside, I have a conscience and called and told them and sent it back Sad

Which was the right thing for you to do otimus! Don't let anyone make you feel like you didn't do the right thing or made the wrong decision there.

Almost everyone who has a passion for something buys things they later one wonder "what the heck did I do that for?" later. I bought the Limited Ed of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya from Bandai Ent and while I questioned it at the time, as well as not being anywhere close to being a kid (but really I shouldn't have bought the darn thing at that price due to my lack of funds at the time), I did it anyway. That's one reason I stopped buying boxsets for the most part afterwords (I never rule out future exceptions, though Laughing ). You just have to learn things in life the hard way sometimes.

Anyway, I have Trigun Re-Mix DVD (which I waited until the last possible time to pick up but luckly was in a better place money wise when I got it) so I don't need to re-buy the show. However, plenty of people who wanted Trigun didn't get it and lots of people who've not seen Trigun yet but have heard about it will want to buy this collection. As to the BD, it's a maybe re-buy. I will wait and see what's going on with it first but it won't be a top priority(however, Funi has other shows coming out BD that I'll be getting so Lance and Co don't need to worry about the loss of sales here Wink ) .

As to what the difference is with Trigun Re-Mix verse the original. I believe the audio track was remixed for it, just like the Cowboy Bebop Re-Mix release was. The video might have been restored but I don't think it officially was. More like they used a better master of the original release and re-added in all the cut opening variations that are missing from the TV airing (not totally sure it those were, or were not, included on the original DVD release). All I know is the DVDs looked 200% better than it did on Adult Swim. However, that could easily be a issue with cable in general and my cable in particular, so YMMV on that Cool
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Funimation said that their release will be the Remix version. What exactly is the difference between the Remix and the original version of Trigun?

As an owner of the Trigun Remix DVDs the only difference is a little bit of the opening animation in each episode, they show little clips from the episode instead of that bounty hunter shot like on Adult Swim. I'm happy this got rescued, but I have the set already, at least I know that if I ever need another copy it'll be available.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
After passing on the Remix sets (I paid 250 for Trigun way back when) I'm curious to see what the BR version of Trigun would look like. Its pretty aggrevating to pick a series up, only to find out later a BR version is coming. I would so rather wait for that release, if nothing else, than to save space on my shelf.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Good news, though I'm definitely among those who already own the show. However, I may buy it on BD. If it's an upscale though, I'm not going to be any hurry to do so. But, unfortunately, there's no BD release of it Japan, so it'll probably be an upscale.

What I find kind of interesting is that when I went to cdjapan to find out whether they'd gone back and released Trigun on BD, I found that they're releasing a boxed set of the DVDs in April. It's probably because the upcoming movie, but it surprised me.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, if that isn't a piece of good news! I love Trigun and I haven't bought it on DVD in all this time!

Between this rescue and FLCL, I'm starting to warm up to Funimation ever the more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mr. Anobe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm...comes as no surprise that I was right about them picking up Trigun eventually if it wasn't during the "Roll-out Riot" picks. Now, we're going to eventually see the Movie version soon in dub too.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Woo Trigun! Great news since I am having a hell of a time finding the DVDs that aren't worth $100 or so for half the series. And BD too. Interesting. But would we actually get a better quality from the BD besides an upscale or whatever that technical term? Still, great news!
spartydragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Whoohoo! My shelf grows ever more epic... or rather, it will. Anime hyper

Also this almost guarantees the movie will make it over here! Very Happy
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

vulcanraven01 wrote:
Nice license rescue, although what annoys me is why FUNi insist on putting out Blu-ray releases for shows that won't benefit from it while they have plenty of shows under their license already that have native HD masters waiting to be taken advantage of.
Maybe the Japanese won't let them, due to reverse importation fears?

That's possible, but almost a moot point.

Doing a new HD film transfer requires specialized equipment that I'm quite sure Funi doesn't own. They invested in HD equipment for Blu-ray production but I highly doubt they have any film-transfer equipment themselves.
Funi would have to fund a local Japanese telecine which would be horribly expensive... And again, this assumes the show was on film in the first place.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
My brother bought the Trigun Remix DVDs on RightStuf when they had their 10 for $50/25 for $100 sale awhile back, but I haven't had the chance to pick it up for my own collection. Got to admit, it's awesome that Funi picked this up, and hopefully this will mean they will license and dub the movie when the opportunity comes up.

The BD version should be pretty awesome too, although I doubt I'll have the chance to ever see this (I don't have Blu-Ray or HDTV, and really have no need for it).
Chii85

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Is the Remix version the reamstered version of Trigun?
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Doing a new HD film transfer requires specialized equipment that I'm quite sure Funi doesn't own. They invested in HD equipment for Blu-ray production but I highly doubt they have any film-transfer equipment themselves.
Funi would have to fund a local Japanese telecine which would be horribly expensive... And again, this assumes the show was on film in the first place.

It's film. It only takes looking at it for 2-3 seconds to tell it's film. Frankly late 90's digitally animated shows looked like ass; it took years for them to improve. I expect this to be an upscale, for the reasons you outlined above. I can't imagine the Japanese rights holders would be so kind as to do a new HD telecine just for Funi when they haven't even announced a blu-ray release themselves. But at the very least they're going to need a new component master, even the remix release had plenty of dot crawl to go around. Or they could just go their usual route and just turn up the DNR in a misguided effort to wipe out film grain and everything else.
Otaku Teahouse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
If I had to guess, the bluray will be an upscale remastering. I do know that there is original film stock, it's an old enough series for it. Best way to tell usually is to look for any show that's widescreen that came out before HDTVs, and those are usually the digitally made shows with no HD master (if someone an prove me wrong, please do, since I'm not completely sure). However, the reason I think it's upscale is because Funimation most likely doesn't have the resources to do an HD of film stock, and there isn't one in Japan.

Their upscales are only there because all of the recent releases have that nagging problem Japanese people have about import prices. Bandai is bowing to it and look at their prices for Gundam Unicorn, outrageous. However, upcoming releases like FMA:B will be ineresting to see, since they are the HD masters.

I do hope Funi may surprise us with this, since Trigun flopped in Japan, America is the main selling point, for bth the seres and the upcoming movie. I hope that the creators are really working with this to give the R1 release the pristine quality fans want.

On a side note, most of Funi's upscales are pretty poor, at least when it comes to line clarity, but I believe they are worth it for the color quality and clarity, which is why I can't wait for bluray Host Club in the coming months. Imagine Vash's red coat really popping off the screen. Very Happy
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
samuelp wrote:

It's film. It only takes looking at it for 2-3 seconds to tell it's film. Frankly late 90's digitally animated shows looked like ass; it took years for them to improve. I expect this to be an upscale, for the reasons you outlined above. I can't imagine the Japanese rights holders would be so kind as to do a new HD telecine just for Funi when they haven't even announced a blu-ray release themselves. But at the very least they're going to need a new component master, even the remix release had plenty of dot crawl to go around. Or they could just go their usual route and just turn up the DNR in a misguided effort to wipe out film grain and everything else.

Well, the anime deviated from the manga a lot (peeked at wiki), so they shouldn't even bother with a telecine. If they're going to spend a lot of money, might as well do a "Trigun Ultimate" ( a version of Trigun that was actually faithful to the manga).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6