• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Creator Eiichiro Oda: I Sleep From 2 To 5 A.M.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
This can't be healthy.

YA THINK???

No one cant do that for long and have a long life.

If he can read and understand english, i hope he is reading these forms cause that lifesyle will eventually shorten his lifespan,or worse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

Poor family however, he must dedicate so little to them, does he has kids? I ca only imagine resenting him, we may love his manga but I doubt if he was your dad and did not pass much time with you, you would not resent him a little believing his work and keeping his fans happy was more important than his own family.

Much respect to him.

It would seem that way... but he's Japanese. Spending his life working and leaving the kids to the wife is, believe it or not, the normal and expected thing to do for a married man. At least, by traditional standards. I expect we'll see a lot of change over that in Japan in the next decade, but Oda-sensei's generation is still part of that mindset, so it's no surprise here.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure he was exaggerating or speaking metaphorically, but I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls an all-nighter quite often. Though what's scary is I've had to pull 3 hour nights quite often in recent years, so Oda's not alone...
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I actually rather wish Oda DID take breaks. I much rather have Oda stay healthy and produce even BETTER quality chapters then to just "crank them out." If One Piece turned monthly...I would not mind.
Though I think Biweekly would be the best compromise.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I could remember it wrong, anyway I read his work schedule somewhere and he shouldn't sleep only three hours each and every day, but l"just" most of the week.
Anyway, respect! for such dedication.

The manga surely shows his love for what he makes and I really admire him, but I hope he'll take better care of his health in the following years.
I think he knows he's writing/drawing a potential masterpiece, but I hope he'll find the right balance between work and health, and time for his family too, of course.

P.S. It's nice that someone mentioned Osamu Tezuka... the fact that he died relatively young (for Japanese standards, at least) still saddens me... He could never complete Hi No Tori and another couple of his manga, for this reason. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
yu3lora

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
The life of an artist.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
He's already made $US20m while being the author of the most popular Manga ever, he doesn't need to push himself any longer. You'd think if anyone didn't have to work so stupidly hard it would be this Oda.

If One Piece still has ten years to go then he should start releasing chapters at half the rate and take twenty years to finish it. His quality of life would improve big time, his health would improve, his family life would improve. He's still young enough (thirty-seven years old) that he can afford to take two decades to finish it instead of one.

If he keeps going at the rate he currently is he'll likely have health problems and struggle to finish it. No-one who respects him is going to want to be the guy who says "I told you so".
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Money usually motivates ya for a week or so, no point claiming it.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:05 am Reply with quote
For a hundred million dollars, I think I would probably stay up till 2 and get up at 5 too.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:45 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
For a hundred million dollars, I think I would probably stay up till 2 and get up at 5 too.

You're assuming that if he slept longer he wouldn't be successful. Like I said, he could put out chapters half as often and still be popular. The benefits would be numerous; be able to actually sleep properly, have free time to spend time with his kids and beautiful wife, be healthier, and just have the ability to enjoy those millions of his.

I mean, what's the point of having so much money if he can't enjoy it? What's the point if he misses watching his kids grow up? He may pride himself on being a workaholic but he's going to end up regretting it.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy...sleeping from 2 A.M. in the late night until 5 A.M. in the morning...
If I were to do this every single day, I would end up breaking apart out of exhaustion. Sad No offense to Mr. Oda, but I really think he would benefit himself, his family, and his fans if he allowed himself at least a few more hours a sleep a day and more time for relaxation.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Banken wrote:

You're assuming that if he slept longer he wouldn't be successful. Like I said, he could put out chapters half as often and still be popular. The benefits would be numerous; be able to actually sleep properly, have free time to spend time with his kids and beautiful wife, be healthier, and just have the ability to enjoy those millions of his.

I mean, what's the point of having so much money if he can't enjoy it? What's the point if he misses watching his kids grow up? He may pride himself on being a workaholic but he's going to end up regretting it.

For all we know, he may work out of home.

I'm not assuming anything, but his dedication his creation clearly had a lot to do with his success.
SuperVegetto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:49 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

Yes, go and assume that making a hundred millions of dollars is better than drawing down an amazing creative great masterpiece world he imagined
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:01 am Reply with quote
SuperVegetto wrote:
Yes, go and assume that making a hundred millions of dollars is better than drawing down an amazing creative great masterpiece world he imagined

His beautiful wife didn't marry him for his talent at drawing Manga.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:03 am Reply with quote
Some people can get by with just a few hours of sleep. It's the result of a mutation on the hDEC2 gene. Oda may be one of the lucky few. His busy work life may be a result of his short sleep hours instead of the other way around.

So, basically, Oda could be a super-powered mutant mangaka.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4