• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Licensed by ShoPro Entertainment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:15 pm Reply with quote
z4rd wrote:
I guess you are..
Heh, I wonder how much they had to pay for the license, must've been a lot.

Given that Shopro is a partial subsidiary of Shueisha now (or in the midst of becoming a partial subsidiary) I wouldn't be surprised if they paid nothing.

The parent companies (Shueisha and Shogakugan) regularly providing "NEWCO" (Viz and Shopro merged) with big titles might be part of their commitment to this venture.

They'll reap the rewards in dividends.

[This is pure speculation on my part]

-t
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:16 pm Reply with quote
T0FFe3m@n wrote:
Tony K. wrote:
At least this mean's they'll use Ocean Studios as the dub group.

Is this true? If so.... thats great! Ocean Group's dubs are usually very good. They don't completely chop a series up as much as most companies do. Their Dragonball GT dub is about x100 better than FUNi's..

Four corrections to make

1. Ocean Group have an incredibly hard time pronouncing anything in Japanese, and to be honest can't direct their dubs for peanuts. They're bland and incredibly annoying when doing a faithful adaptation.

2. They are not responsible for the editing of a series. The person who holds the original rights, or the network broadcaster, are the ones who authorise and conduct editing of anime, not the studio that records their dubs.

3. A fair majority of anime companies these days produce uncut, bilingual DVDs. the ammount of these DVDs FAR outweigh edited or mono-lingual (english only, in this case) DVDs. Pull you head out, it's not 1997.

4. Dragonball GT's UK/other English (and painfully horribly done) dub was produced by Blue Water, NOT Ocean Group.
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad its licensed, now if only Bleach and Hunter x Hunter were licensed as well. I think they should put it on CN and not Fox. Toonami or adultswim it shouldnt matter really to me, now I wonder who the voice actors will be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
T0FFe3m@n

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
T0FFe3m@n wrote:
Tony K. wrote:
At least this mean's they'll use Ocean Studios as the dub group.

Is this true? If so.... thats great! Ocean Group's dubs are usually very good. They don't completely chop a series up as much as most companies do. Their Dragonball GT dub is about x100 better than FUNi's..

Four corrections to make

1. Ocean Group have an incredibly hard time pronouncing anything in Japanese, and to be honest can't direct their dubs for peanuts. They're bland and incredibly annoying when doing a faithful adaptation.

2. They are not responsible for the editing of a series. The person who holds the original rights, or the network broadcaster, are the ones who authorise and conduct editing of anime, not the studio that records their dubs.

3. A fair majority of anime companies these days produce uncut, bilingual DVDs. the ammount of these DVDs FAR outweigh edited or mono-lingual (english only, in this case) DVDs. Pull you head out, it's not 1997.

4. Dragonball GT's UK/other English (and painfully horribly done) dub was produced by Blue Water, NOT Ocean Group.

Uh... I stand corrected?

...but theres no way you can tell me that FUNi's DBGT dub was better than Blue Water's (by that I mean in terms of keeping to the original, and not completely disecting it).
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Bluewater & Ocean Group are divisions of the same company.

But in this context, I'd have to agree with you that its best to treat them as seperate, since they are seperate studios with seperate directors and voice actors...

-t
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:27 pm Reply with quote
AT LAST!!!!!! Very Happy
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:31 pm Reply with quote
T0FFe3m@n wrote:
...but theres no way you can tell me that FUNi's DBGT dub was better than Blue Water's (by that I mean in terms of keeping to the original, and not completely disecting it).

Oh sure, the Blue Water dub kept closer to the source by using the original music and a more faithful script, but it doesn't nesecerally change how annoying Dragonball GT in general is, and while the FUNimation dub didn't exactly help, well hey, you can't polish a turd.
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I've not even seen Naruto and I'm glad this wait is over. Maybe all these fansubbers will turn to something else for a change instead of trying to one-up each other over one single title. A little diversity would be nice.

I'm curious whether or not ShoPro Ent. has already been using Viz production staffers and release formula for everyone to assume how the title will be handled.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Phantomjest wrote:

Posted: 15 Feb 2005 06:18 pm
Kinda sad, yet relieved.

I excited because now it will be easier (& hopefully) cheaper to get Naruto merchandise. ((I want to own a store that sells everything anime, even Japanese drinks/snacks)). I think it will also be good that it come to the states because I have a seven year old brother who LOVES watching the series, but he can't keep up with the subtitles. So having it in English would be easier for him. (I'm not saying this to be selfish. I'm sure all of the younger generation will enjoy Naruto immensely).

However, I will be THOROUGHLY dissappointed if the dub comes out sounding like Inuyasha's. No offense to those who like the dub in that series, it just sounds too fake for me.

Moved in here because we only need 1 Naruto thread.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Just a quick question. Isn't ShoPro just a "middle-man licensor" or something or is that no longer true since they merged with Viz?

EDIT: Oh, they haven't merged yet, right?
noneko_Mamimi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Gamelore wrote:
I think I just heard the sound of 50,000 Naruto fans across the US simultaneously crying. Hopefully *someone* will continue to provide them with torrents.

So do I...and I'm one of them..god...I am so scared to hear the dub, because I have grown to fond of the Japanese voices.....oh god...I'm so scared.....and all the little kids who will think they are cool for watching it...the stupid people who think they know everything baout it...god...I kept hoping this day would never happen...but it has TT~TT
mrhomiec

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:53 pm Reply with quote
i had 2 different reactions to reading this.. finally! and noooo!!

i just hope they don't ffff up the dubbing like FMA and One Piece
and i wonder is Adult Swim is gonna pick it up, since there was another news thing asking them if they were gonna get it.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:55 pm Reply with quote
noneko_Mamimi wrote:
Gamelore wrote:
I think I just heard the sound of 50,000 Naruto fans across the US simultaneously crying. Hopefully *someone* will continue to provide them with torrents.

So do I...and I'm one of them..god...I am so scared to hear the dub, because I have grown to fond of the Japanese voices.....oh god...I'm so scared.....and all the little kids who will think they are cool for watching it...the stupid people who think they know everything baout it...god...I kept hoping this day would never happen...but it has TT~TT

Oh man, the day when you can't be an elitist prig about it has finally come. I weep for your eternal sadness! come give me a hug, it'll be ok!

...christ
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:32 am Reply with quote
mrhomiec wrote:

i just hope they don't ffff up the dubbing like FMA and One Piece

Neither of which were dubbed by Viz. Way to go, smartie.

noneko-Mamimi wrote:

The irony is that Naruto was a show *made for little kids*. So really, you're the one who thinks you're cool for watching it and liking it before it becomes "mainstream."

May I remind people that this will 99% fo sho come out on bilingual DVD, so you don't have to be forced to listen to the dub? Yeesh.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:35 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Just a quick question. Isn't ShoPro just a "middle-man licensor" or something or is that no longer true since they merged with Viz?

The site I cannot mention that is in the news seems to think so. They're normally really good at pulling down licensed series, but I guess they think fans would be too upset if they pulled it. This whole "middle-man" thing means nothing as far as fansubs go. ShoPro has R1 rights, it's time to pull it.

Last edited by Kazuki-san on Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10