• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gurren Lagann: The Movie ~Childhood's End~

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
You know, why is it that Gurren Lagann is "cursed" with these unorthodox DVD releases in the U.S? First we had this whole sub-only then later bilingual releases that ended up confusing both retailers and buyers. and now we have this sub-only movie that you HAVE to buy at one website.

Don't forget the fact that ADV was supposed to get it, then the Sojitz crap happened and Bandai decided to get it instead.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Are you kidding??? He was great as Kamina. heck the entire cast was great. If people talked about JYB's take as young Rossiou,then thatd i would understand cause people wrecked Rossiou's voice as bas as his take as Renton & Lelouch (which is actually fine to me for all the haters out there)

But people disliking the series overall cause of that is nuts. that starz report is proved otherwise that people don't have a beef with the dub,even though mind numbeded otakus says the dub is ok, though the series ending sucks

No I'm not kidding. All I kept seeing was "English Kamina sucks" on so many posts. Anyway, who cares what the weaboophiles say? I watched all of the series in English and loved it. Hell, Steven Blum was awesome as Leeron and the bloopers told you he had fun with this role. And as for Kyle, he really made Kamina very likeable in English. I never had a complaint about his voice.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Why the complaints about the price? It's absolutely standard:

http://store.bandai-ent.com/Gurren_Lagann_the_Movie_1_2_Regular_Combo_Pack_p/glregular12combo.htm
$50.96 for both regular edition movies + free shipping
(and $85.96 for both limited editions)

Although I'll admit, the limited edition dropped the ball with the untranslated booklet Mad (the value is worse, but I'm still debating whether to get it just for the Parallel Works videos..)

As a side note, the TV boxset will be released next week for $35 Very Happy

Selling through their "own" or a partner's store probably allows for more profits without increasing the price. You don't have to worry about large production runs, which may not all sell, middleman/distribution costs of distribution to amazon, rightstuff, retail stores and other stores, whose wholesale price has to be less in order for the stores retailers themselves to profit.

Anyways, I'm not really a dub watcher, though I do like a few (Black Lagoon being the best so far) and I'll complain about some characters' dubs (Higurashi sucked; so do all the female voices in Kanon, Air, Clannad) -- BUT that doesn't preclude me, nor I think anyone else who voices similar complaints from buying it.. unless, ironically enough, you're a dub-only fan.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather get the TV boxset than the movies anyway.
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:45 am Reply with quote
I don't care if the dub isn't on these: I loved the movies, therefore I am buying them.

Don't get me wrong, though: I loved the TV show dub. In fact, I hold it as one of the best anime dubs ever produced, from Yuri Lowenthal's perfect portrayal of Simon to Steve Blum's impeccably-perfect Leeron to Johnny Yong Bosch's spot-on rendition of Rossiu to the script to the broadcast to my toaster, etc. I'm as bummed about this lack of an English dub as well. But that isn't going to stop me from supporting the shows that I know and love!! Heck, if Clannad: After Story doesn't get dubbed, I'll just by the sub-only Complete Collection when it comes out!! (Then again, I didn't like the dub, but that's a different story)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3