• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: I.G: Right Stuf Has Utena Movie License

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Well...the movie is fairly fun and very pretty but not as interesting or deep as the TV series, by all means, though it probably wouldn't hurt to buy both whenever the opportunity arises. Still, I suppose this continues to be good news.

Now then...I wasn't expecting the discussion to head in this direction but it's not entirely surprising given the subject matter. Can't really avoid the topic of sexuality in Utena as it plays a central role in the proceedings, overtly or otherwise, although I would say that's also far from the franchise's only merit.

Not that I really want to get into it here though. Suffice to say that I don't see how being bisexual instead of lesbian or vice versa is any "better" or "worse" since either preference still goes against tradition and the strict role models involved. I would say both interpretations are possible and could be debated all day long.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Have to say, while the visuals are mind-blowing and the music gets an upgrade, I do not care that much for the movie. I loved the character development of the series, and all that complexity pretty much disappears and gets replaced with... well, naked bobsledding lesbians. Which, while fun, isn't quite as good IMnsHO.

Provided they are legal adults, that sounds better than any ecchi show now and days.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I am kidding though.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote
So, first a, a DB:E novelization, a comic version of the Priest movie, and now a comic version of GITS? I thought part of the whole point of these adaptations was to get people interested in the source material. Oh, well, I guess now I know how Alan Moore probably feels about The Killing Joke when he sees TDK novelizations. Anyway, thank you for scoring the movie, RS. I'll love you long time if you can port over the extras, too.

vash: If that car scene is good enough for Nolan, it's good enough for the rest of us.

greenwolf: Bi-curious at best. Still a lesbian at heart. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if the movie was sold separately here. The license for Utena in general is not cheap.

Mylene: Now that I think about it, I'm wondering if they'll re-do the subs. I think the CPM movie had some issue or something in that regard, but it's been a while.

Charred: I think he just likes women who take control, if you get my drift. Wink

double07: I'm not into yuri, either, but Utena transcends that genre. You don't feel like you need to care whether or not they're gay or straight, and those types of stories are usually more satisfying, since they focus on the actual character development and setting more.

Anyway, save the bickering over creative intent for another thread, pleez.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:47 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
... correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one of the major thrusts of Utena that categorising social roles by gender, and thus to a large extent gender itself, is harmful?

... and we're discussing whether or not the text says that one of the characters, one of the lead characters, whose breaking of these self-imposed roles frees someone who is suffering under them, has, even after they've done this, a sexual identity inextricably tied to gender?

This seems... misguided.

Kind of interesting to hear this debate about whether or not they are lesbians and sexual identity vs gender. If anything Japanese history shows it used to be all separate with none inextricably tied to the other. I had mentioned once here before that prior to the Meiji period, "Nobody blinked an eye at sexual orientation and no one used it as a means self identification."

from here
Quote:

Before western contact, Japan did not have a system of identification in which one’s identity was determined by one’s biological sexual preference. In fact, “the tripartite taxonomy of sexual types that has resulted from the social construction [homo-, bi-, heterosexuality-], held no currency in Japan.”[4]

However, this does not indicate that sexual behaviors between individuals of the same sex were not practiced. In fact, such behavior was so common in Japan that documentation of same sex relationships dates back over a thousand years.

There were a variety of terms describing sexual behaviors, but none were tied to identity at all.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Provided they are legal adults,...

well, if you're making real life comparisons, they would already be "legal" if they were adults. But since they are not, legality depends on where Very Happy
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Kind of interesting to hear this debate about whether or not they are lesbians and sexual identity vs gender. If anything Japanese history shows it used to be all separate with none inextricably tied to the other. I had mentioned once here before that prior to the Meiji period, "Nobody blinked an eye at sexual orientation and no one used it as a means self identification."

1. Ikuhara, the mind behind this show, doesn't subscribe to that stuff though. This comes out on his commentary track for the movie when he says that the guy he's doing the commentary with could be straight, gay, or bi after they get into a conversation about how his car had a male petname.

2. This phenomena didn't only occur in Japan. The idea of homosexuality vs. heterosexuality is a relatively new concept even in western thought. Japan is no more special than England or wherever else in this regard. Some of these beliefs persisted longer in Japan though, maybe.

3. I'm also going to add that these patterns of belief are highly sexist and usually result in girls being forced into marriage with men whether or not they were actually attracted to the opposite sex. Some people in Japan believed that lesbianism was only a phase not that long ago, but it's foolish folklorish nonsense. I don't think this kind of nonsense should be given any credence. It's about as dumb as the previous belief that women don't experience pleasure from sex which was also assumed to be true everywhere not that long ago. Notice how that article mainly talks about the sexual freedom men experienced in Japan during those ancient periods. I don't think that's a coincidence. In traditional Japan (and sometimes current Japan) women only have one role and that is to serve the father, husband, and son. Men didn't have to live with those restrictions. Obviously, certain recent social constructions have also created problems in certain ways, but that doesn't mean the past that existed before these constructions were super peachy keen either. People were still oppressed over these and related issues, just in different ways.

* A bit buzzed on Tequila right now, so I hope this all makes sense. lol
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:12 am Reply with quote
You guys are missing the real story in the article here:

Avi Arad is working on a version of Ghost in the Shell!!! If that's not the biggest WTF? Moment of the day, I don't know what is!

Avi Arad, the former head of Marvel Comics, is working on Ghost in the Shell! Will he keep it the same? Adapt it? Turn it into something brand new? Simply redraw the setting in Israel and make Section 9 an Israeli Intellegence Angency and change Major Mikoto's name to Michal (kind of how Lilo and Stitch was remade into an anime featuring a Japanese girl and her alien pet in Okinawa)?Razz

Curious minds need to know!
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:15 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
So I'm assuming this remastered as well? Rightstuf, will you ever cease to amaze me?

Unfortunately i am not as pleased with this. since nozumi/right stuff is using the same strategy as Sentai , it may mean bad news for dubbers like myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:36 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
So I'm assuming this remastered as well? Rightstuf, will you ever cease to amaze me?

Unfortunately i am not as pleased with this. since nozumi/right stuff is using the same strategy as Sentai , it may mean bad news for dubbers like myself.

It already has a dub, what's your point?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:23 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Will he keep it the same? Adapt it? Turn it into something brand new? Simply redraw the setting in Israel and make Section 9 an Israeli Intellegence Angency and change Major Mikoto's name to Michal (kind of how Lilo and Stitch was remade into an anime featuring a Japanese girl and her alien pet in Okinawa)?

If the number of potential customers who'd appreciate a relocation exceeds the number of those who wouldn't, such artistic license would quite plausibly be employed.

The matter of whether or not this is a commendable decision would depend, one presumes, upon the classification of potential customer one falls within.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:37 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Quote:

1. Ikuhara, the mind behind this show, doesn't subscribe to that stuff though. This comes out on his commentary track for the movie when he says that the guy he's doing the commentary with could be straight, gay, or bi after they get into a conversation about how his car had a male petname.

2. This phenomena didn't only occur in Japan. The idea of homosexuality vs. heterosexuality is a relatively new concept even in western thought. Japan is no more special than England or wherever else in this regard. Some of these beliefs persisted longer in Japan though, maybe.

3. I'm also going to add that these patterns of belief are highly sexist and usually result in girls being forced into marriage with men whether or not they were actually attracted to the opposite sex. Some people in Japan believed that lesbianism was only a phase not that long ago, but it's foolish folklorish nonsense. I don't think this kind of nonsense should be given any credence. It's about as dumb as the previous belief that women don't experience pleasure from sex which was also assumed to be true everywhere not that long ago. Notice how that article mainly talks about the sexual freedom men experienced in Japan during those ancient periods. I don't think that's a coincidence. In traditional Japan (and sometimes current Japan) women only have one role and that is to serve the father, husband, and son. Men didn't have to live with those restrictions. Obviously, certain recent social constructions have also created problems in certain ways, but that doesn't mean the past that existed before these constructions were super peachy keen either. People were still oppressed over these and related issues, just in different ways.

* A bit buzzed on Tequila right now, so I hope this all makes sense. lol

I think the tequila might have gotten to you because what you seem to point out in Ikuhara's commentary (which I have not heard myself), what I and the article said and *some* of what you said are in agreement, lol. There may also be some misunderstanding by what I mean by history and tradition and what you refer to as traditional from the comment about some Japanese folks thinking lesbianism as "passing phase", which is actually relatively recent history (in the past two+ centuries) when gender and sexual identity was introduced, otherwise there would be no such thing

On pt #3 the comparison to the Victorian-era thought about women not experiencing pleasure or could not even be attracted to other women is just plain silly. Yes it was a patriarchal system, with the expectation of serving men, but in addition, accepting of women's ability to serve themselves, independent of men in terms of personal and local matters.
Quote:
Such relationships established an unquestionable acceptance of same-sex practices and were not restricted to men.

and there exists artwork explicitly showing such between women and even female sextoys. And though less documented, as stated, such practices were widely accepted for women, coming about from a change in social structure where the women move in with the the men and parents
Quote:
This change was significant because it allowed women to establish more prominent positions within the household through which they were able to exert more influence. In turn, this allowed a kind of sexual liberation for many women

This shift in position prominently allowed:
Quote:

Onnagata (female-role) and wakashū-gata (adolescent boy-role) actors in particular were the subject of much appreciation by both male and female patrons,

Male prostitutes (kagema), who were often passed off as apprentice kabuki actors and who catered to a mixed male and female clientele

It's true that so-called "forced marriages", marriages that discounted personal attraction were commonplace in the form of arranged marriages. But that had nothing to do with some sort of sexist role or repressing women *in this regard*, since it also equally applied to men with preferences for other men, and everything to do with political and business relations. BUT since there were no taboos against extra marital partners, even the wife could have her own concubine if she were attracted to women and likewise the husband with other guys. If women's role were as limited as you say, such an allowance here or the previous example about female patrons or even a general acknowledgment would not occur.

Ironically though, women's roles did became much more restrictive during the Meiji period from strong western influence, with bans on entertainment, brothels, artwork, gender separation in bath houses (previously 99% of all onsen were mixed gender) and all sorts of other restrictions designed to improve western trade. This is an account from a Portuguese writer recording an early encounter between Jesuit friar Francis Xavier and daimyo Yoshitaka:
Quote:
Having touched on the sin of idolatry and on the other faults committed by the Japanese, he arrived at the sin of Sodom, which he described as ‘something so abominable that it is more unclean than the pig and more low than the dog and other animals without reason’. ...

which was expressed by other Europeans and later on Americans (1800's, Perry and crew) sadly enough

I'm not saying that everything was roses and peaches during those times at all--the country certainly had its problems but I won't get into that here--but It's pretty ridiculous to compare England or christian-era Europe of the same time period with Japan. The only time when mainstream-accepted western thought even approached such attitudes about sexuality were during pre-Christian and pre-Islamic times in Europe, Greece, and the Middle East. In fact Pagan Celts had a fertility festival similar to that still carried out in Japan. I doubt something like Genji Monogatari would have ever been written in England after its Roman conquest, casually detailing omni-sexual behavior, let alone being written by a woman of authority (i.e. high female aristocrat, queen, or princess).

IMO it's this pigeonholing of sexuality, gender, identity and roles, whether from some traditional idea of morality or secular ideas of morality (i.e. forms of feminism on one end and male sexism on the other) that causes many problems. Anywaays, I've rambled on long enough; coming back on topic, Utena license is great news and why worry about the exact classification of such relationships?
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

Nozomi is definitely not pursuing the same strategy as Sentai/Section23. Nozomi is focusing on a small number of niche titles where the incremental sales volumes from a dub would not cover the cost of the dub, while Sentai/Section23 are pursuing a broader range of titles, including titles where the expected incremental sales volume from a dub (including distribution via The Anime Network and digital distribution) does justify the cost of a dub.

Its odd that you have the impression that Sentai/Section23 are pursuing a sub-only strategy, when their production is done at a production studio with in-house dubbing facilities.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:58 am Reply with quote
Um okaaaaaay, am I tha only person baffled by tha announcement seeing as Utena is NOT a Production I.G work??? lol Maybe they hold the master license now or something who knows. Crazy Anime industry and their shenanegans Razz Nice news though
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
@Zin5Ki: yeah, the relocation idea was a joke, or a fanfiction plot. Wink

The point is that I have no idea how adding Avi Arad to a live-action Ghost in the Shell project affects the project. His role wasn't stated and I was under the impression that since he was no longer with Marvel, he might be retired.

He does have experience working on live-action superhero films, although I'm not sure what his role on those films (like Spider-Man) were, either. I don't think he's a writer or director. As I said, the news was a WTF moment, because we have no clue what it means, but it's stll interesting!

@Configspace: I really enjoyed your posts and found them very informative. It's interesting to learn how western influence affected Japanese gender and sexual culture during the Meiji era, and what that culture was like before the country opened up. I also didn't know that Genji Monogatori was written by a woman. Your post provided a lot of food for thought. Thanks! (It's amazing what you can learn on an anime board sometimes!) Smile
TJR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Chiyosuke wrote:
Um okaaaaaay, am I the only person baffled by the announcement seeing as Utena is NOT a Production I.G work??? lol Maybe they hold the master license now or something who knows. Crazy Anime industry and their shenanegans Razz Nice news though

Wondered about that myself. I guess it has to do with who invested in a production and ended up with licensing rights.

At the time, J.C.STAFF (before they became as strong as they are now) and Production I.G. did co-produce certain titles together, such as Parappa the Rapper and The Prince of Tennis.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
TJR wrote:
Wondered about that myself. I guess it has to do with who invested in a production and ended up with licensing rights.

At the time, J.C.STAFF (before they became as strong as they are now) and Production I.G. did co-produce certain titles together, such as Parappa the Rapper and The Prince of Tennis.

There's also the possibility that I.G. worked on the remastering.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4