• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yotsuba&! GN 8

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spoony

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
spoony: That's pretty much what Carl said in the last paragraph... that the negatives are really boren more from the adult in us and that what we see in the world is what Yotsuba sees for the most part. There are hints of deeper things but to Yotsuba, to a child in general, those don't nesscarily come to her attention. Carl is just like a number of fans, who hope that Kiyohiko Azuma sprinkles in a little bit more development to this floating subplots in a more frequent manner if possible. Not that you won't enjoy what you read but people will still think about those things from time to time because the fact is; they are there. Carl is just acknowledging the possiblity that that may bother some people more then others. It doesn't make the series any less magical in how well it captures that childlike spirit the way it does and Carl makes a point of that as well.

Oh, I definitely see that Carl and I agree on the negatives coming from our perspectives as adults. And you are probably right that he is expressing the opinions of a lot of fans in saying that he wants more development. I guess what I was trying to get at is that I don’t believe these negatives should be seen as faults in the series; I think the series does what it is intended to do, and changing it to suit our adult tastes would destroy the purpose of getting us to think like children again. There is a certain extent to which we can’t become like kids again, but Yotsuba& gets us really really close, and I think changing the story to appease that little bit of adult that still says “I want something more to happen!” would only make us lose the great distance Yotsuba& already is able to take us toward our childhood selves.

That being said…I am very curious as to where Yotsuba came from. ^^’ But I don’t think it is a discredit to the series that that hasn’t been expounded on, nor would I be particularly upset if it was never brought up again. That’s just not what this manga is about for me.
chicogrande

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
It is only the 8th volume of what may be at least 12. Besides, are we really ready for what you know will surely be the saddest reveal regarding Yotsuba's mother and probably her spoiler[sad death at childbirth and her father's decision never to fall in love again?]

I'm tearing up just writing this! Crying or Very sad
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
chicogrande wrote:
It is only the 8th volume of what may be at least 12. Besides, are we really ready for what you know will surely be the saddest reveal regarding Yotsuba's mother and probably her spoiler[sad death at childbirth and her father's decision never to fall in love again?]

I thought it was explicitly stated that Yotsuba spoiler[is adopted and from some foreign country]? Unless it's all a lie, though I suppose that could happen, just without spoiler[Koiwai] having any part in it.
chicogrande

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
chicogrande wrote:

I thought it was explicitly stated that Yotsuba spoiler[is adopted and from some foreign country]? Unless it's all a lie.

Well, I was speculating from my desk, typing the saddest thing I could imagine about Yotsuba's origin.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm still leaning towards spoiler[she's an alien] and spoiler[Kowai found her at Roswell].
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I tend to go along with TatsuGero23's first speculation spoiler[alien], but Yotsuba's extreme swimming skills and complete unfamiliarity with winter suggest to me some tropical island, rather than his second speculation spoiler[Roswell].
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
and unfamiliarity with winter

Certainly rules out spoiler[Loch Ness]...
LemonCookies

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:20 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
LemonCookies wrote:
Quote:
Has its weak spots, but they quiver, pale and frightened, before the joie de vivre stamped on every other page.

Um, shouldn't that be "frighten?"

No.

Why not?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:10 am Reply with quote
LemonCookies wrote:
Moomintroll wrote:
LemonCookies wrote:
Quote:
Has its weak spots, but they quiver, pale and frightened, before the joie de vivre stamped on every other page.

Um, shouldn't that be "frighten?"

No.

Why not?

Because "frighten" is a verb, while "frightened" is the adjective.

Or to be more obtuse: "because using English correctly leads one to be better understood by others."
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
GloriousMaximus wrote:
Mr. Azuma, at least in my point of view, has decided to (at least for now) disregard inserting more serious character drama into the story to keep the series light and humourous. This is something I very much appreciate. In my opinion, there are way too many series out there that start out as this great comedy, but then as they start to develop the character's, they end up making the series too dark and no longer as enjoyable is before.

I agree completely. In fact I'm baffled by people's want to have character drama in a comedy series. Not only does it usually kill the comedy, the main point in a comedy series, but also the characters are usually too flat to carry the drama effectively. This was why Irresponsible Captain Tylor was one of the better comedy series I've seen what with its hilariously epic ending.
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yen Press picked up Yotsuba&! in 2009 after ADV Manga dropped it, but were it not for the logo and the ads in back, you'd almost never know it. Sound effects are still left in situ with unobtrusive translations nearby, cultural notes are still crammed in itty bitty type between panels, and the overall package is still attractively subdued. There is the back-cover synopsis—written as if by Yotsuba—but it doesn't hurt your brain too much. Certainly not enough to pass on the series.

This was the only thing I found a bit off. I bought the first five volumes by ADV, and if you compare the translation, it's pretty obvious ADV localized it a lot more heavily than Yen Press is doing. And for a gag centered series like Yotusba&! it can make a pretty big difference. That being said, I've been reluctant to pick up the first five volumes again even though I prefer Yen Press's translation, so I'm not entirely sure how far it goes (off the top of my head all I can remember is the Cardbo bit).

Plus ADV stopped putting liner notes at the back of the volume after volume 1. Furthermore ADV had some pretty regular printing issues. I returned at least two copies of volume three because of that O.o

It's not that big a deal but I think you're not giving yen press the praise they deserve.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3