• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Amagami SS & SS+ (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
*shrugs* I enjoyed it a lot. Not only was the girl really good, everything went along smoothly, and so was a nice change from the usual. Hey, I'm all for tension and words unsaid and the like, but not the way they're usually done in romance. This arc was cute, sometimes funny and always relaxing. Couldn't expect much more from the series. In fact, I'm probably going to save these eps for future re-watching. They feel close to REC, and I remember liking that a lot, even though the latter was somewhat more developed.

So the next arc is with the girl who sounds like she was the victim of a failed strangling a couple years earlier - the sister's friend, right? I think I'm going to skip that.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:10 am Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
They feel close to REC, and I remember liking that a lot, even though the latter was somewhat more developed.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who enjoyed REC. I liked it so much that I ended up reading the manga which continues the story.

As far as Amagami SS goes, I liked Haruka's Arc better than Sex Hair's. Honestly, it's kind of hard to even see them as a couple considering they were such good friends. Kaoru's arc had a lot of funny moments which I enjoyed though.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:27 am Reply with quote
KAtchan15 wrote:
Honestly, it's kind of hard to even see them as a couple considering they were such good friends.

Precisely the reason I liked it. I guess it's good that the series has stuck to this format, so everyone can get a slice of what they want.

Does REC have an end though? That'd be lovely to read... I remember liking the quiet romance in the anime, hope it continues that way.
TheRoyalFamily

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I must be the only one that is completely satisfied with how this arc turned out. While their relationship certainly advanced in a romantic direction, it didn't fundamentally change - even though they are now boyfriend/girlfriend, on a date on the most romantic date time ever (the eve of the celebrated birthday of the Son of God, as only makes sense), she still trolls him hard, not once, but twice (or thrice, depending on how you count). And while they ended up sleeping together at the end...it was sleeping (though how much sleep Junichi got that night, that's debatable - Kaoru seems to me like she'd be violent in her sleep).

While now more than friends, they still retain that friendship. I like that. (And if that relationship continues, it will be good for it.)
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
OK, I've only watched through episode one but can someone explain to me how this is any significantly different from Clannad? Just appears to be your typical guy gets to pick from a variety of appealing girls. Not that I don't like this type of thing, after all I enjoyed reading Clannad.

EDIT: Well, somehow I managed to trudge through the first 4 episodes-and boy, that was somewhat of a chore. I found the relationship between Haruka and dog-boy here to be a bit disgusting and a bit unnatural. It was amusing at first, but after a certain point it was just sad. And then the ending....wow I'm amazed I didn't just drop it after episode 4.

However, I decided to give it a shot and see what this other girl's arc would look like and it was a complete 180. It felt somewhat rushed (hurr 4 episodes), but a lot more natural than the first arc. The relationship felt a lot more mature and something I could actually relate to as opposed to that weird dog-master thing. Hell I enjoyed it enough to say I'm a bit disappointed that the arcs are only 4 episodes long.

So Amagami is apparently a hit or miss depending on the personality of the girl. Hopefully the 3rd girl can continue the legacy of Kaoru.

Oh, another note- abunai are you referring to rather educated teacher as the potential interest? Just a guess.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
KAtchan15 wrote:
Honestly, it's kind of hard to even see them as a couple considering they were such good friends.

Precisely the reason I liked it. I guess it's good that the series has stuck to this format, so everyone can get a slice of what they want.

Does REC have an end though? That'd be lovely to read... I remember liking the quiet romance in the anime, hope it continues that way.
Very Happy Nope I believe it's still and ongoing manga. There's 11 volumes so far. But I've only read up to Volume 6. I liked the quiet romance as well, AND the fact that it had funny moments. Smile
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:46 am Reply with quote
All hail Sae Nakata, the newest heroine in Amagami SS.

I have to admit, I was seriously contemplating dropping this show if this newest episode was at all similar to the Kaoru arc. I had my suspicions from the start because the sense of enjoyment I received from this show had recently disappeared after viewing the soporific Kaoru arc. I really had almost no faith that the creators could effectively handle the nervous, soft spoken, Sae Nakata without it turning into a cringe worthy disaster.

Well, I’m very relieved that my fears were totally unfounded since this was the finest episode of Amagami SS to date.

From the get go, the introduction of the narrator provided the perfect spark to set the mood for this arc: as a totally, off the wall, hilarious spectacle. Jun’ ichi gloriously returns to his charming but idiotic demeanor, and this time sporting a ridiculously lame sweater vest and a fabulous pink coin purse. The Jun’ichi of the last arc came across as a levelheaded and honorable guy, which is probably why he was so boring to watch. But with the introduction of a female counterpart that rivals Haruka as one of the worst possible choices for a love interest, so returns our beloved, foolish, breast loving Jun’ichi.

Tonight’s episode was loaded with topnotch comedy from start to finish, something no other episode of Amagami SS has yet to accomplish. A few laughs here and there was all you basically got from any given episode, granted, some of the laughs were downright gut-busting, but no episode until tonight has been able to provoke a constant state of never-ending laughter. I honestly was in tears at the end of the episode; I seriously can’t remember the last time any television show kept me laughing the whole way through. So, if you had any reservations about continuing this series after being subjected to the snooze fest that was the last four episodes, please, don’t hesitate any longer and watch this new arc.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:29 am Reply with quote
The previous arc was cute, and believable romance, in fact one of the most enjoyable ones I've seen. This is just another school love comedy, hitting clichés, characters clowning around... it could maybe be on the same level as the first arc, but the girl is nothing to write home about, with that annoying voice, a somewhat generic design, and a cringe-worthy shyness. The only amusing thing in this episode was the protagonist's sister. I can't help but remember the Miya-CanCan posted earlier in this thread, nishishii...
Anyway I think I'm going to skip this one - in short, just about what I expected, not god-awful, but so mediocre I'm not prepared to waste my time on it. Oh, but I do have to know which body part he's going to go for in this arc...

I do have to admit one thing: the creators are good at switching the mood from one arc to the other. Looking forward to the resident kuudere/Yukana.
niquev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote
It's because of the Haruka arc that I continue to watch this show. I don't see why some of you feel this is an unrealistic match. It is quite possible for the average Junichi to end up charming the eccentric but gorgeous "prom queen" type of the school. The fact she rejected 2 confessions from 2 popular juniors says alot about Haruka's code of attraction. She prefers substance and someone who accomidates her eccentricities to looks and popularity. spoiler[The story illustrates this point nicely from the chance meeting at the park a few years earlier between Junichi and Haruka to the tool shed scene on to the lunch room scene which obviously is the turning point of their relationship.]

Junichi is the typical unconfidant and misunderstood girlish boy. Most westerners hate this kind of protagonist, but japanese culture find these characteristics attractive. I think it's because japanese girls feel so empowered when they see opportunity to prop up the supposedly "stronger" sex. I have a friend who was stationed in Japan for the military and he saw so many japanese girls supporting their boyfriends and they felt so proud and happy about it.

Kaoru arc was too rushed and never really developped a believable explanation on how their relationship progressed from just being childhood friends to lovers.

Sae arc so far is boring and I'm not a fan of the overly shy and soft spoken type of girls.

As for Hatsukoi Limited, that series is one of the smartest series of this genre I've ever seen. I registered to this sight just so i can create a new post talking about it but I made a detour to this thread because i saw some posting about it too here.
Skylark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:37 am Reply with quote
I too am not into the really shy girls and I hate the voiceacting that went with Sae so I am glad to see that arc over with (and I am not sad to see the narrator get canned either). I liked the Kaoru arc but even so there are prevalent parts of this series that could be better; like the protagonist growing a pair for example.

That said, Nanasaki Ai is pretty much an exemplary model of the kind of character I dig so I think I'm going to like this coming arc. In a way this series is awesome for the fact that if a character grates your nerves you can just stop watching for 4 weeks and pick it up again later without missing anything. In a way though I wish it were 8 episode arcs of the 3 girls I like Wink but meh, apparently I found out recently that the world does not in fact revolve around me. Ah well.

Anyways I'm vaguely enjoying the show; it's pretty popcorn bland but not terrible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote
yeah, I notice they sort of alternate between the generally "weaker" girls and the "stronger" ones. Three cutesy girls uncertain girls (The strange one the shy one, the clumsy one) and three hot driven ones (The one who works alot, the sporty one, the class president).

And the rather bland lead... which is completely necessary. It's a dating game adaptation- if there's ever a need for a character without a strong personality this is that case- the male viewer totally has to be able to put them self into the character's shoes. And it's not that he has no personality- actually it changes from arc to arc. And the sister certainly changes too, in the first arc she was jealous, in the second she was apathetic, in the third she was supportive- she might be jealous again this arc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 14,

I have to partially take back my previous statement, he is often a rather bland and maleable character... but he's also a shameless freak, and this one reminded me of that once again.

Those breast comments in this episodes... pure class. And considering that his sister is just about as weird as he is you have to question the wisdom of never introducing their parents into this show.

That being said, once again this arc is having a slight problem with character chemistry. The fact that she is often upset with his comments and actions don't quite mesh with her then forgiving him and being charmed by him.

I think this might be the first episode where they've resorted to spoiler[the girl having a short inner monologue in order to justify her attraction.] Seems like the writers might even be admitting this one is a stretch.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
You know what, I think I have finally warmed up to the lead, I found myself laughing quite a bit with him checking out all of the girls assets out. Here he is suposed to be a good fit for the least well endowed girl, and he has to note his attention to a lot of them. Especially funny with him looking at the last arc's girl, I actually thought that his sister was talking about meat buns, turned out she was talking about "meat buns".

The fact that the guy is so weird actually makes this entire series for me, don't like all that cliche stuff but have him do something nutty and I will enjoy it. And that he just so hapends that he is good at maths, the convinence of some things is also funny to me.

Also they changed the OP, it is better as I could not take take the first one seriously.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Phew. Finally had time to catch up. Moe girl's arc was weak.
Quote:
That being said, once again this arc is having a slight problem with character chemistry.

I thought that sort of belief was dropped last century. Opposite poles do attract each other, right.

Quote:
The fact that she is often upset with his comments and actions don't quite mesh with her then forgiving him and being charmed by him.

I don't know about that. You often see parents upset at their children, but is there a lack of love? Perhaps she just wants to correct his ways? She revealed that she thought he was childish, so perhaps she was visualizing him as her brother up to that point.
As for her getting upset with the breast comparison... she just realized she was "interested" in him by the end of the second episode, but that fact was already clear by the end of the first episode. Meaning: jealousy.

Lack of chemistry is common nowadays. But that doesn't really matter much since I'm the protagonist himself, if you get it. Ah, I'm having a wonderful time with such a great voice actress. Now I want to re-watch Code Geass.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Those breast comments in this episodes... pure class. And considering that his sister is just about as weird as he is you have to question the wisdom of never introducing their parents into this show.

The sister's somehow more enjoyable than him. He's just one of those happy idiot type characters... but oh well, I suppose his antics are sometimes funny. Ai's pretty good (I skipped the arc before this one, too). I'm enjoying it for what it's worth.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7